Scam to watch out for - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Scam to watch out for

Ok. Im not proud of this, but I was young and broke (like I had no money for food broke) and I used to scam people when I was a kid. I think Im seeing it here and other sites and I want you guys to watch out for it.

Before you flame me, please understand, I was young and dumb and I have learned from my mistakes. Its why I joined the Navy, I wanted a better life for myself, I knew it was wrong.

Premise of this scam, is that its completely legal. Theres no gray area, its just capatilizing off people not paying attention.

How it works...

I have a odd guitar not worth much money. For hypothetical purposes, lets say a pink Proline Ibanez. Not too common, but not worth much either.
Lets say the proline is worth 200. I put one on sale for 600$. I make another account or have a friend make one, whatever. That person says they are DESPERATELY searching for a pink proline. They are "willing" to pay 1000$ for their dream guitar. Someone gets blindsided by the fact they can flip this guitar for an EASY 400$ profit. They buy the proline for 600 or whatever they haggle out to, and try to flip it only to have that person disappear. They paid 2-3 times as much for something that is essentially worthless and will never sell for that much.

The problem with this scam is its legal... Just keep an eye out for it, and protect yourself. If it seems to be good to be true, it is. I could make 2-3000$ a month doing this no problem. Pay attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 AM

Re: Scam to watch out for

uhhhh
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Weak,obvious and amateur,the Navy was a good career move.
No offense meant.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Weak,obvious and amateur,the Navy was a good career move.
No offense meant.
None taken. However, its not so weak, obvious, and amateur to a 19 year old kid with a credit card and paypal account....
edit : my example was a bit extreme, but it was just to make a point.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
None taken. However, its not so weak, obvious, and amateur to a 19 year old kid with a credit card and paypal account....
edit : my example was a bit extreme, but it was just to make a point.
Yeah your right,at 19 i probably would of thought it was worth a shot as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode