Shipping Amps & Fedex - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Shipping Amps & Fedex

This may well be a no-brainer for many of you, but it was a lesson learned for me. I thought I'd share a recent experience for those who may ship an amp to help keep you out of similar situation.

A few years ago I bought a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 on the auction site and had it shipped. When it arrived I found that the seller had packed packing material around the power tubes. I thought that that was overkill. Maybe some of you know better. (A friend bought an amp the same way. His seller removed each tube and packed them separately.) Fast forward a few years, and I wanted try a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 so I bought one. Yes, on the 'bay. This time, however, the seller had not packed around the power tubes. One of them managed to wiggle loose enough to hit the bottom of the unit and shatter. It was a nice surprise when I opened the box.

I ordered a new matched quad of power tubes and forwarded the cost to the seller who filed a claim with Fedex. I just got a check in the mail for the cost of the new tubes and then some. Not a lot more, but almost enough to replace the 12AX7s as well!

The moral of the story. Pack your tubes carefully when shipping a tube power amp. The best bet is probably to remove them and wrap them individually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Re: Shipping Amps & Fedex

Hey, I just had a similar experience and both the seller and Fedex are pointing the finger at each other. Looks like I'm stuck with buying a pair of el84s and 12ax7s. I'm pissed off because the shipping was insured. I filed a claim with Fedex and the rep said they don't cover tubes and tubes should be packaged seperately. Well the seller refuses to pay for replacement tubes. Not quite sure what to do now...

Tags
power amp , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode