shipping guitar UPS (oversize + overweight?) - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

shipping guitar UPS (oversize + overweight?)

Hi,
I was asked to provide a shipping cost estimate for a guitar I'm selling. So I went to the UPS web site, followed the link for calculating Time and Shipping Cost, and entered all the info (zip codes, weight, dimensions), etc. At the end the cheapest quote was around $70 because it only gave me the air, one day, and 2nd day rates. Apparently, an average guitar box is oversized (combined length and girth over 84"), and the weight per volume is also too high.

Now we've all shipped and received lots of guitars, so I'm wondering if they just let you off the hook on the oversized/overweight thing when you show up to ship. Even without a box, an Ibanez guitar case (~42x5x15.5) has a combined length and girth of 83", so once it's in a box there's no way to meet the sub-84" size requirement. I figured a shipping weight of about 25-lbs.: that might be a little high, but not by much.

So is this just a web site quirk, or have they recently tightened up the size requirements, or ???? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:34 PM

Re: shipping guitar UPS (oversize + overweight?)

i did a price quote from fedex with your dimensions from Ny to California.

Was just under $20. It would take 4 business days.

~K
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Re: shipping guitar UPS (oversize + overweight?)

Thanks for the info -- sounds like I should consider using FedEx more often.

I called UPS today and was told that the web site shipping quotes are often wrong, and there was no reason why it wouldn't give me a ground shipping rate. A guitar box falls into their "Oversize 1" size class (greater than 84", but less than 108") so they calculate the costs as if it were a higher weight. Their price was $29 including insurance to $600. A bit higher than FedEx, but definitely closer to what I'm accustomed to paying than the $70+ quoted by the web.
Bert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode