Shipping UPS - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Shipping UPS

Howdy,

Curious to know what you guys/gals usually pay for shipping a guitar, typically with a case and the necessary packaging. I got ripped on for 3 recent guitars going out via 3-day select. Normally a guitar that I ship goes for approx anywhere between $25-$55 after the residential fuel surcharges, etc. I now understand that there is the Oversize 2 category, which looks like usually sneaks by the standard UPS ground weigh in. But I saw later, that I missed the cut off by an inch or less, and paid almost twice!

3-Day select
Here are the dimensions
48x21x9 total cost to AZ from PA = $77.66 (that's after a corporate discount!)
here's another one
44x23x6 cost $43.48 again, from Philadelphia PA to Texas
lastly
45x20x7 this was $57.73 from Philadelphia to AZ.

Standard Ground
Now, here is one that was sent back in Oct
47x19x6 (notice the 1 inch difference) this ended up being $16.04 from PA to Minnesota! after corporate discount of course.

I am just curious to know what is the average you all pay to ship guitars? I'm thinking of never using 3 day select again EVER! or just find another carrier. Seems like all the others just go under the radar or UPS doesn't mind about standard Ground and larger guitar box dimensions unless it's special delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Vendor

Re: Shipping UPS

1. You left out important details like insurance level and signature required.

2. PA to AZ or TX is 4 days standard anyway. Overpaying for 1 day less is poor use of resources, unless the customer demands and is paying for it.

3. Nothing "slips by". Every piece is measured and weighed and the fare is based on both. Larger packages are billed at higher weight, called dimensional weight.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

For the record, I offered 3 day to insure the packages would arrive by Friday, mailed on Tuesday, went out the door Tue evening. 3 day select was a guarantee for me and the recipient (I picked up the shipping)

Some of the details, Signature not required, and no insurance. Curious to know what you all are paying? I prefer signature required and insurance, and recommend it, but that's an extra fee.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM

UPS will for sure get you up the backside on that infernal "dimensional weight". It may only way 20 pounds but they'll charge you for 70.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Let me also add, I've shipped out about 20 guitars this past year, and not once have I been charged the OS2 fee, except for this case during 3 day select. So, with that being said, then I got ripped by UPS for OS2 using 3 day select. I'm just trying to get a base line for what costs are, because typically when I ship UPS ground, it varies by distance anywhere between $25-$55, no signature required, nor insurance required. (but recommended).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
UPS will for sure get you up the backside on that infernal "dimensional weight". It may only way 20 pounds but they'll charge you for 70.
yes, that's exactly what happened going by the papers, they increased the weight.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Vendor

I would never ship without insurance

I never ship without signature unless it's value is under $250 [which is the limit for Paypal and credit card to require confirmation of delivery]

I would never overpay for speed unless it was requested and paid for.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so now we know what Rich would and wouldn't do. Curious to know what everyone else pays for shipping. Just trying to understand the baseline. for shipping, even 3 day select or 2 day.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Vendor

There is no basis for comparison. The charge is based on zip code to zip code, size, and services. Nobody else is going to be paying any less for UPS unless they have a bigger corporate discount.

You can go into Fedex.com, usps.com, and UPS.com and compare direct services to the same location for yourself. Asking what others are paying is pointless unless every variable is the same.

Fedex can be slightly cheaper but IMO is much more difficult to deal with [probably because my driver is a female which most men would classify as a capital C].

USPS is usually cheaper for 3 day long distance, more expensive short distance, and "standard" is much slower, and the insurance rates are much higher.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM

I personally have found that taking it to the shipping depot itself in my city is cheaper than taking it to a UPS Store.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Shipping from Alaska is more expensive, but i always use USPS. Usually spend about $ 50.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would never ship without insurance...
insurance from UPS is a scam unless you let them pack it. I shipped an item in the original shipping carton and they claimed that it was improperly packaged. The nice gentleman from UPS informed me they only way they will honor the insurance is if the UPS store packaged it. Now, Rich most likely gets better service due to being a frequent flyer . However, blatantly admitting that unless I was willing to pay their over inflated packaging prices that the insurance was worthless seems pretty scammy and crappy to me. Just my .02
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Vendor

Sounds like you were dealing with a UPS store. 90% of them are worthless rip offs.

You have to know the rules for packing and insurance. If you do, claims are extremely rare to begin with. I've had 2 cases slightly damaged in 13 years, both claims covered. Now claims on stuff shipped to me, that's a different chapter.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Hi Rich,

yup it was a UPS store. I avoid them as much as I can, but sometimes I have to ship via a store as opposed to directly via UPS. I just could not believe that when I spoke to UPS rep on the phone they had the huevos to say that because the store had not packed it the claim would be denied, even when it was shipped in the original shipping carton. Oh well...

Tags
ups shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode