Sims Custom Shop (Chattanooga, USA) - Page 4 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Re: Sims Custom Shop "Starry Nite" Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
Ditto.
+1

stop destroying those bodies dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
I really like the swirl.
Very nice indeed.

I was wondering the other day why you decided to call your business 'Sims Custom Shop' when there is already a very well established 'Sims Custom' over here in the UK.
Just seems a bit of a strange choice.

I realise your surname might be Sims or something like that but couldn't it confuse some people?
Thanks for the compliment, glad you like it!

We have been Sims Custom Shop since the early 1980's, we haven't modeled our business name around anyone, in reality we were well established way before the other, just not in the guitar community. We were not even aware there was another Sims Custom Shop until about 6 months ago, and we're not about to change our name that we have had for over two decades as well as change our website domain name we have "www.simscustomshop.com". It was just a coincedence that theres two people with the last name Sims that decided to start a shop. The one in the UK just does guitars tho, we do cars, trucks, motorcycles, guitars, and modern art sculptures. Theres also two other Sims Custom Shops besides me and the UK one, one that builds custom motorcycles on the west coast, and one that builds high end furniture, now how big of a coincedence is that?

So it wasn't a choice to model our name after the other, and we didn't do it "After" the other one was established like you stated. There is a thread on this in the Vendors forum from months ago if you want to know more specifics.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 07-20-2006 at 12:19 AM.
post #48 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM

Very nice swirl. Nice work done there.
post #49 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 PM

Wow, nice swirl !!!!

Just makes me wonder what tone you get from a guitar that has so little wood?
post #50 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealien
Wow, nice swirl !!!!

Not really any less wood than the RBM Reb Beach's, maybe a hair, and those sound great. The majority of your sound comes from around the Bridge, so the other body modifications don't even really effect it much...... I have done two others like this before and I honestly couldn't even tell a difference in tone, and I have a good ear for stuff like that.

Glad everybody likes the swirls, but I knew some would hate the body.....but at least some like it as well. I really like the design. I'm fixing to start on a new one, and this one will have a different shape, maybe it will be a litte more subtle and not so wild. I like reshaping the bodys, making them a little different and unique over all the other 5 million ones out there. I like Ibanez body's don't get me wrong, but I like making stuff one of a kind and unique too. It allows me to use my imagination, and do some wood working too.....the next one will have a reshaped headstock to match the guitar more closely as well. I've already got some cool ideas for the next one I think you guys will like By the way, both of the other 2 I cut out like this sold for over $600 in less than 2 days on e-bay, and that was for just a body and a neck......so I must be doing something right considering the 550 bodys actually only cost me $35 on e-bay and the necks $75.

Like one guy said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, thats why its art. Some people may love the uniqeness of the design and shape, and others may hate it and like the more traditional look better, everybodys different. I personally don't like being like everybody else, and having stuff like everybody else. I like to have stuff thats totally different, off the wall, one of a kind, and doesnt closely resemeble anything else, others like to stay in the norm and not get too radical or extreme.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 07-20-2006 at 12:07 AM.
post #51 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealien
Wow, nice swirl !!!!

Aye

Beautiful swirl.....

But the body??? Of course it's ~light~ Half of it's gone

Oh...I gotcha...this is going to be debuted in the next Star Warz Tatoonie bar scene

Keep up the swirling Patrick
post #52 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 AM

I have to say I have never been the fan of swirls that everyone else seems to be, but that one is quite nice.

You do very nice work, but I have to agree with the others on the body shape.
post #53 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Dee

Just one thought on the shape: where does the strap button go?
post #54 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Probably the same place it is on the reb beach model it looks inspired by :P. Take the weird scoop out and it could almost pass for a reb beach copy :P
post #55 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:43 AM

VERY NICE!!!

Regards

André

post #56 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
One goes in the front horn as usual, ane one goes on the lower of the REAR TOP horn....same place that its at on a Reb Beach Ibanez basically.
post #57 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 AM

What a fantastic job on the swirl. The body shape is definitely not me though.
post #58 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 AM

Reviews: 34

Great swirl.

I even like the body. Apparently I am on my own. I think that with more rounded contours on the face you get the best effect from the swirl.
post #59 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Sims Custom Shop Red Multi-Color Swirl

Love it.
post #60 of 1374 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:28 AM

Re: Sims Custom Shop Red Multi-Color Swirl

I think the red one is a little dark for my tastes,,,but the swirl itself looks great!
Can't wait to see the Starry Night swirl!!
Closed Thread

Tags
abalone dots , ace frehley , atd swirl , basswood body , beautiful guitar , birdseye maple neck , body shape , cavity cover , chris woods , christopher woods , chrome hardware , chrome vine , clear coat , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom jem , custom necks , custom shop , custom shop guitar , death metal , dimarzio pickup , direct mounted pickups , dna swirl , double cutaway , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric clapton , fede swirl , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , flame maple , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , gibson les paul , gmc swirl , gotoh tuners , graphite nut , guitar body , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar shop , headstock overlay , headstock shape , herc fede , herc fede swirl , high frets , hollow body , humbucker guitar , ibanez bass , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez neck , ibanez roadstar , jackson custom shop , jackson soloist , jem neck , jem swirl , john petrucci , led inlays , les paul , les pauls , local luthier , lock nut , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , matic bridge , monkey grip , mounted pickups , neck angle , neck inlay , neck joint , neck pickup , neck plate , neck pockets , neck position , neck shape , parker fly , patrick sims , patrick sims custom , paul reed , paul reed smith , pbk neck , pickup cavities , pickup cavity , pickup ring , pickup rings , pinch harmonics , pro edge , pro pickups , production model , reed smith , reverse headstock , richard fay , roadstar series , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , sam ash , scale lengths , signature guitar , sims custom , sims custom shop , sounding guitar , sperzel tuners , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons , strat body , string bass , string necks , string pickup , string pickups , swamp ash , swirl project , swirled jem , trem arm , trem arms , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod covers , upper fret , upper frets , van halen , warped neck , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode