So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy.. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 AM

Re: So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietim View Post

While GMW might be good, I think they are out of most peoples price range.
They don't have a price list on their web site anymore, but last time I checked they were charging something like $2,500 to do a swirl.
That's only the paint.
Guitar not included.....
Ouch!

(Speaking of their web site, they actually paid someone to design that thing?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I dunno how someone could charge some of those prices.. $2500 for a swirl, which may cost at most $50 in material fees... lol HMMM.. I understand labour costs but geez, when its like 1000%+ of it.. makes you wonder

I understand hes the famous Jackson dude, but it makes you wonder why people even consider going to him to get work done, when you can get something just as good somewhere else for 1/10th the cost. Wish I was that rich to spend $2500 on a swirl.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 AM

[QUOTE=ibanezking;658937]Your best bet by far is Chris Woods
He's a great guitar builder

His work is of good quality and he's not expensive
Apart from waiting time issues of a few people on the site - and from what i've read, they do appear to have constantly changed their minds and been "difficult customers" i don't think there's anyone who's complained about the job he's done.....

He's done several for me and all have been fine - my main gigging guitar has one of Chris's bodies.

Get in touch with him - tell him exactly what you want and agree a price and a sensible time scale and take it from there - thats only what you'd do with any other company you'd deal with.....

HI MAX, that claim has been sent by the way. Unfortunatly this has gone way beyond cost and quality of work. There's no disputing he can produce good product, and difficult customers are very much part of business; with my particular order things went very pear shaped, but we agreed we were equaly culpable, we agreed a solution with Rich's input, then he shafted me big time. It' that particular issue that is way over the line irrespective of whoever you are talking about.
A simple email, stating exactly the problem and what he intends to do about it, then I could just about live with that. Instead we have a new level of low in the luthier world!
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6 View Post
While GMW might be good, I think they are out of most peoples price range.
They don't have a price list on their web site anymore, but last time I checked they were charging something like $2,500 to do a swirl.
That's only the paint.
Guitar not included.....
Ouch!

(Speaking of their web site, they actually paid someone to design that thing?)

not sure where you would get this but the prices are all over the site

http://gmwguitars.com/class/gmwprice.html
http://gmwguitars.com/paintprice.html

base price for a guitar is $1200
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Jeremy at LGM Guitars in Canada was alway very good.
I don't know if he's still building guitars, but the one I bought from him was fabulous. I wish I never sold it.

-jemaholic
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM

If your a perfectionist I would not get custom work. None of the guys mentioned will come close to a factory prepared guitar.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Jeremy at LGM Guitars in Canada was alway very good.
I don't know if he's still building guitars, but the one I bought from him was fabulous. I wish I never sold it.

-jemaholic
Jeremy is doing full customs from what I've read so he is a possibility. I read he is only doing bigger jobs and a full body that he won't have to do any finishing on might be something he is interested in doing.

If you wait a few months for things to get back on track with Chris and keep your wits about ya, he can do exactly what you want. I'd be weary of sending more than 50% of the total cost until the guitar is ready to ship though just to keep things fair for both sides.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

well I emailed chris again to see if he would respond.. maybe I'll take a chance. It would only be $400 id pay now, and then another $400 when i see pics of it done and its ready to ship, so thats not too bad. Hmm
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 AM

I would install a stipulation about a discount if a reasonable time after the date due the job isn't complete. I've had issues with every builder having no time to complete my order on time.

Ed Wood(s) had 2 RG 550 necks for 6 mos for a refret and scallop, I got them back and they had to be leveled, costing me more money. The other thing that I was confused about was I sent them down south but they arrived packed in local area newspapers, leading me to believe they were shipped somewhere close to me to essentially be outsourced. If I had known someone was locally available to screw up my necks, I would have gone right to the source

Harper's Guitars: Jem replacement body was 8 mos and I kept getting stories about how it had to be scrapped and restarted 3 times, it was lost in the mail, etc... Once it was delivered, it was the wrong body shape, the upper horn was completely wrong. I sent it out to EKG and he GRACIOUSLY fixed it at no charge.

LGM did the inlay on my Jem in a quick and timely manor, but then down the line I was hoping to have a whole guitar built, he was so swamped with other work, mine kept getting shelved, or pushed back, ultimately causing me to cancel the order, sadly. I have to say that his fretwork on my Jem neck was one of the first that out of the box, it didn't need to be leveled or adjusted, I bolted it on and set up the guitar and off I went. Definitely a great playing neck.

Chris Woods and I set up details for my neck and I made payment in May of 2006, and sadly a 4-6 week build time has lapsed into a year. I want the neck so I'm not willing to cancel my order, I want to see this project completed. I am actually looking forward to getting it, I just hope soon.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM

So EKG sounds like a good place to go then. Why don't more people recommend them instead of CW or the others I always read about?

Just a shot in the dark but Monster Guitars does custom stuff but people have been hit and miss on his bodies. I would think a neck-thru would solve most of the issues I've heard about their bodies (neck pocket issues mostly).

I'm just throwing them out there as I got a body from them last year and with a little TLC, it is right on and the price was great for what I got and the back plates were all included (to my suprise!).
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
not sure where you would get this but the prices are all over the site

http://gmwguitars.com/class/gmwprice.html
http://gmwguitars.com/paintprice.html

base price for a guitar is $1200
Ah, there's the price list!
And look at #196:
"Steve Via $2,000"

Or the Satriani "Donnie", $2,200....
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6 View Post
Ah, there's the price list!
And look at #196:
"Steve Via $2,000"

Or the Satriani "Donnie", $2,200....
At first I thought you made the typo

That price isn't including the actual paint price, just the custom job, so you have to add back in the cost of the paint.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
So EKG sounds like a good place to go then. Why don't more people recommend them instead of CW or the others I always read about?

Just a shot in the dark but Monster Guitars does custom stuff but people have been hit and miss on his bodies. I would think a neck-thru would solve most of the issues I've heard about their bodies (neck pocket issues mostly).

I'm just throwing them out there as I got a body from them last year and with a little TLC, it is right on and the price was great for what I got and the back plates were all included (to my suprise!).
sadly, ekg is not the place to go either...at the moment. he's working to get his cnc router programmed perfectly and finish current projects. he's been working on a body for me since jan '06 and i don't think i'm first in line. i would hope he'd be able to really ramp up his production once the cnc is programmed. but for now, you'll be waiting.

i've heard mixed feedback about monster guitars. koss had a very bad experience with them as did some guy a few years back on guitar.com (he had them make a js copy from limba with a fixed bridge, i believe). but i've heard some positive reviews as of late. if communication is a sticking point, you may want to look elsewhere because he even states on the site that he can't give you a definite time on custom work (he says it can run up to a year) and that he doesn't have time to constantly answer phone calls and email.

too bad sims doesn't build bodies. he seems like the most reliable vendor at the moment.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
well I emailed chris again to see if he would respond.. maybe I'll take a chance. It would only be $400 id pay now, and then another $400 when i see pics of it done and its ready to ship, so thats not too bad. Hmm
No offence, but you got to be nuts; the other point is that these custom guitars are never going to be worth anything like the brand name alternatives, or be easily resaleable, or be of an equivallent standerd to say a similar spec genuine Ibanez, or whatever. If you intend keeping it till you die, go for it, but a good used equivalent has to be a prudent alternative, up rate the PU's, paint or graphique it, or whatever, there is just so much choice around, and some really good deals to be had.

A hell of a lot less agro too than all that's going on now.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
Chris Woods and I set up details for my neck and I made payment in May of 2006, and sadly a 4-6 week build time has lapsed into a year. I want the neck so I'm not willing to cancel my order, I want to see this project completed. I am actually looking forward to getting it, I just hope soon.
See, that just makes no sense to me. There is no reason that I can think why an estimate would go from 4-6 weeks to year.

I dunno, I couldn't deal with half the crap you guys deal with. I have no patience for people that can't keep to a reasonable schedule or communicate why they're slipping. When I want a guitar, I definitely want it but I won't put up with that type of B.S. I'd be knocking on Chris' door if I had been waiting that long for a neck.

I think the idea of half down to start the job and the other half when it's done (ready to ship) is the only way to do business.

Tags
body shape , chris woods , christopher woods , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jackson , custom shop , double neck , double neck jem , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , gmc swirl , headstock shape , herc fede , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , lgm guitars , local music store , music store , patrick sims , richard fay , steve stevens , string xiphos , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in