So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy.. - Page 3 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

Ok, so find me someone that can build me a custom 7 string volute neck fully scalloped with blank ebony board for my RG-2027VV with the Ibanez headstock shape for $225.00. It's hard to find that service in the 1st place. I can buy an Ibanez neck online, but I still don't get the Ebony, I don't get scallops, I don't get 6100 fretwire. I get whatever they happen to have and then I need to send it out to have it done to my specs, in which case, I'm back to the custom shop arena and wait times again soar. It's the nature of the beast in most cases, sadly. I can still play my 2027 right now, so sending out my OEM neck for those mods isn't an option to me either. I'd rather get a new neck spec'ed my way and save the OEM neck should I ever decide to sell it.

As much as the wait time sucks, I'll wait if it gets me what I want.

I'm not touring, I am in the middle of writing and recording, so I'm not in some dire need for this neck.

I'll take slow and steady over $hit & Shady (IE Legacy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:54 PM

Sorry Bamm but your out of order calling Legacy1 $hit and shady .
Get your facts right ,its slow ,$hit and shady .
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersfieldpete View Post
No offence, but you got to be nuts; the other point is that these custom guitars are never going to be worth anything like the brand name alternatives, or be easily resaleable, or be of an equivallent standerd to say a similar spec genuine Ibanez, or whatever. If you intend keeping it till you die, go for it, but a good used equivalent has to be a prudent alternative, up rate the PU's, paint or graphique it, or whatever, there is just so much choice around, and some really good deals to be had.

A hell of a lot less agro too than all that's going on now.
Well I do intend on keeping this (if it was good) for as long as I played most likely.. But heres the other thing.. Theres NO company that will make anything even removely close to what I want, The only thing even remotely close is a 6 string Xiphos but until I see a 7 string Xiphos with a quilt top and a LoPro7, even then it wont be as good looking cause xiphos shape looks kinda funky, Nothing close to what I want. In terms of finish, bodyshape, setup (no other company uses Edges except ibanez, and ibanez are all strat shapes) so It is impossible to get what I want for a guitar in any manufactured guitar, Esp as a 7 string.

Its really slim pickins for non-strat shaped guitars, esp for 7 strings. and I already have my strat shaped guitars and I dont like them for anything more than practice, I need a big back end guitar for playing with a strap because its what I prefer, it makes me play 10x better than with my hand sliding off the top of rounded backs like Strat shapes.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Jeremy is doing full customs from what I've read so he is a possibility. I read he is only doing bigger jobs and a full body that he won't have to do any finishing on might be something he is interested in doing.
I believe Jeremy is painting Harleys these days, and is "hoping" to get back in the guitar building business some day. I would not consider him an option.

Personally, I'd just buy a Carvin.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Reviews: 1

I completely understand what you're saying bammbamm. There' just no guitar I've ever wanted badly enough to take that much BS for. Whether its intentional or not, I think he's screwing with you. I completely understand how badly you want the guitar and I have no reason to doubt that when you receive it you will think it was worth it. However, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand or else when will it end?

I've ordered custom Jacksons in the past and never had a problem with delivery as in weeks did not become a year. The thing that just really gets my goat is there's no explanation why.

My job is all about delivery dates, deadlines and unknown unknowns but yet we still manage to get things done on time somehow.

What it comes down to is just because someone is a good luthier does not automatically make them a good businessman.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM

So to sum up things, who is there to goto at the moment for custom work?

EKG: when he gets his programs done and in place, so he's not a current option.

Chris W: serious wait times until he finishes his "business makeover" with a new partner and facility (revamp of his current facility), so he's only an option if you have a 6mos to year to wait.

Monster Guitars: they are nice guys and are trying to get things perfect and are willing to work with you and charge fair prices. They aren't up to snuff 100% yet but they are getting there.

Legacy: not an option. Too bad, I personally had high hopes for him.

LGM: doing custom bikes and what not, so guitars don't even seem to be an option with Jeremy (too bad, he was the real deal when he was).

ET: if you live close to or in OZ they sound like a good option but in the States or Europe, possibly too expensive with customs and shipping to compete.

Cottam: I don't know anything about them but probably not an option for people in the States do to the duties and shipping.

Did I miss anyone

I'm just wanting to sum things up and not keep a debate going. I've read waaaaay too many debates and would rather have a thread that was not a big debate about this subject and actually have some kind of an answer rather than all these depressing stories, unless this is where things have gotten to.
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:27 AM

Here is a suggestion from Musikraft

http://jamersonguitars.secure-shops2...tar_p_3-9.html

http://jamersonguitars.secure-shops2...Thru_c_19.html
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
So to sum up things, who is there to goto at the moment for custom work?

EKG: when he gets his programs done and in place, so he's not a current option.

Chris W: serious wait times until he finishes his "business makeover" with a new partner and facility (revamp of his current facility), so he's only an option if you have a 6mos to year to wait.

Monster Guitars: they are nice guys and are trying to get things perfect and are willing to work with you and charge fair prices. They aren't up to snuff 100% yet but they are getting there.

Legacy: not an option. Too bad, I personally had high hopes for him.

LGM: doing custom bikes and what not, so guitars don't even seem to be an option with Jeremy (too bad, he was the real deal when he was).

ET: if you live close to or in OZ they sound like a good option but in the States or Europe, possibly too expensive with customs and shipping to compete.Cottam: I don't know anything about them but probably not an option for people in the States do to the duties and shipping.Did I miss anyone I'm just wanting to sum things up and not keep a debate going. I've read waaaaay too many debates and would rather have a thread that was not a big debate about this subject and actually have some kind of an answer rather than all these depressing stories, unless this is where things have gotten to.

International shippng has almost tripled now, plus the risk of there being more C.WOODS in this world who seem to pick international customers as the fall guys. For the uk Cottam is a good option, he has close ties to Herc Feder, but there are a huge number of others here where you won't get messed about, unfortunatly most are booked up for months
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 AM

Go to 'luthiers USA'/ 'luthiers around the world', on google, there are hundreds, loads in CA including Mr Chris Woods Pugh, I'd avoid him though! Just make sure you REALLY sus them out!

Last edited by petersfieldpete; 05-17-2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: correcting info'
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
If your a perfectionist I would not get custom work. None of the guys mentioned will come close to a factory prepared guitar.
That sums it up perfectly!
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 AM

For the record, I have ordered several bodies from Chris Woods and have been very pleased with all of them.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Jeremy at LGM Guitars in Canada was alway very good.
I don't know if he's still building guitars, but the one I bought from him was fabulous. I wish I never sold it.

-jemaholic

For an alternative try 'Luthiers USA' or 'Luthiers around the world', hundreds to choose from, loads from CA!

Last edited by petersfieldpete; 05-17-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Error
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM

ERROR

Last edited by petersfieldpete; 05-17-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: ERROR
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM

The trouble with Chris Woods?
No trouble here

post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Yeah, i've had NO PROBLEMS with Chris woods or his work. i have a double neck jem body from him, and a double flame, and i also purchased the 7 string *speed guitar* from him. good stuff, good workmanship.

Tags
body shape , chris woods , christopher woods , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jackson , custom shop , double neck , double neck jem , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , gmc swirl , headstock shape , herc fede , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , lgm guitars , local music store , music store , patrick sims , richard fay , steve stevens , string xiphos , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode