So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy.. - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

Anywhere to actually go to get something built and NOT have problems?? Im starting to think you basically cant get a custom made anywhere without problems now, after reading the posts on these boards.

Im also looking for a neckthru blank/rough body cutout, not a full guitar, no paint, just neckthru glued on and routed.. and Its not a RG/strat shape.. So am I basically doomed unless I spend $1500+ to somewhere like RAN?

Or even if somewhere sells neckthru blanks, with a small custom inlay done, would be ideal for what Im looking for..

Last edited by NickCormier; 05-15-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 AM

Talking Re: So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

Your best bet by far is Chris Woods
He's a great guitar builder

His work is of good quality and he's not expensive
Apart from waiting time issues of a few people on the site - and from what i've read, they do appear to have constantly changed their minds and been "difficult customers" i don't think there's anyone who's complained about the job he's done.....

He's done several for me and all have been fine - my main gigging guitar has one of Chris's bodies.

Get in touch with him - tell him exactly what you want and agree a price and a sensible time scale and take it from there - thats only what you'd do with any other company you'd deal with.....

The people who have complained about Chris are most definitely a VERY VERY Small Minority.

Regards

Max
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 AM

Smile Re: So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

This is Just My Opinion.

You should order to Japanese Builder.

Like as <a href="http://www.matsu****a-kobo.com/">Matsu****a Koubou</a>
Like as <a href="http://www.fujigen.co.jp/">Fujigen Custom House</a>

They will make your order keeping to the schedule.
They will make your order without Additional money.

...IF you can use JAPANESE...
...I think they can use english a little.

Or you can make your order by yourself.
I think it is very interesting way!
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: So with the troubles of Chris Woods + Legacy..

I was going to go with chris, and I talked to him about it and he gives me very good price/everything.. but he also takes like weeks responding to emails (been 2 weeks now since last) and with all the bad pub about him.. kinda making me cautious.. hmm

I dont speak japanese unfortunately, hmm
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 1

As much as I like Chris's work and the products he offers, I'd have a hard time recommending him until things smooth out over there. I have a neck in the works. It was May 1st I sent payment....2006...
That is my only complaint.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
HDS

I would say your best just to get yourself a copycarver or a compucarver and make your own.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 AM

I've had GMW build me a number of guitars over the years. I have a Green Meanie on order right now. They build the polka dot Vs that Zakk Wylde has been using as well. They've been around for years. My guitars have taken from 4-6 months from the time I placed the order to having it in my hands. Each of those was gated on having Dan Lawrence do the graphic paint job.

http://www.gmwguitars.com
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
Anywhere to actually go to get something built and NOT have problems??

...Im also looking for a neckthru blank/rough body cutout, not a full guitar, no paint, just neckthru glued on and routed.. Or even if somewhere sells neckthru blanks, with a small custom inlay done, would be ideal for what Im looking for..
My $.02- I've been working with ET guitars (see banner above) getting a neck (maple w/ebony fretboard, metal vine w/green mirror leaves, GMC swirled headstock to match body, square heel, partridge in a pear tree, etc.) custom made for a Patrick Sims body (RG 570 w/ GMC swirl) and I have been very pleased. He's been very good about communication (pretty much weekly updates with pics when stages completed) and has made every effort (successfully, imho) to satisfy my various demands, even going as far as suggesting the swirled headstock and matching the colors pretty darn well for halfway across the globe! I don't know if they do neck-thru, but it couldn't hurt to ask...
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Very cool I'm glad to see some success with ET.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Yeah, it seems that lots of folks are having problems with builders these days... Personally, I couldn't be happier with ET. No doubt the disgruntled nature of folks in other threads makes builders new to the community a little wary. All I know is that all aspects of the build- design specs, timetables, pricing- have been as promised (that's what customer service is about, no?). ET's been a pleasure to deal with and the neck looks phat- I'll post pics when I get it on my Green Goblin thread in "Other Ibanez Guitars."
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietim View Post
I've had GMW build me a number of guitars over the years. I have a Green Meanie on order right now. They build the polka dot Vs that Zakk Wylde has been using as well. They've been around for years. My guitars have taken from 4-6 months from the time I placed the order to having it in my hands. Each of those was gated on having Dan Lawrence do the graphic paint job.

http://www.gmwguitars.com
For everyone's benefit, will they do parts, upgrades and repairs or just complete guitars?
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Totaly agree with 6 stringer about ET . He contacts you about every detail he makes and goes way out to please .

Richard Fay is exactly the same . I'll have some nice pics to post soon from both of these builders .
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

only thing is, ET and Richard fay and etc im assuming wouldnt do a neckthru, let alone parts.. also would cost like double of what Christopher woods is charging..

Its unfortunate cause I would really love to go with Chris, but im afraid of the horror stories I hear here, I understand wait times but Chris and I agreed on one of his "speed guitar" things which is apparently like 3 weeks waiting time, but Yeah.. How is that possible lol I could manage 3-4 months but I want this guitar before I move in September.. so my best bet might to get a neckthru blank and attempt it myself, but you can see my concern with that, esp routing a Edge LoPro7 route.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 PM

I dont doubt that Chris can punch out the speed guitars in the 3 week wait time, since from my understanding, no finish work at all is included, and the custom options are very limited.

The only concern, is when he'll actually start taking on orders for them.

If you want to attempt it yourself, Carvin sells neckthru blanks.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Yea true, I wonder if he could do it fast, Thats what im afraid of tho, him taking more orders and mine gets pushed back lol..

I would be going with a custom neck builder if I was to build it myself, somewhere like Doug at Soulmateguitars..

Tags
body shape , chris woods , christopher woods , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jackson , custom shop , double neck , double neck jem , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , gmc swirl , headstock shape , herc fede , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , lgm guitars , local music store , music store , patrick sims , richard fay , steve stevens , string xiphos , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode