Sold PRM on bay, buyer changing terms of offer??? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Sold PRM on bay, buyer changing terms of offer???

Well, I sold the JS2PRM on the bay this morning, this afternoon I got the following message. I am unsure how to handle this. There are little idiosyncrasies with the bays policy regarding this. I know already that the customer will not pay but have to wait 2 days? I am unwilling to ship to Thailand for free. When I sent the invoice, it said I was shipping to Atlanta Georgia, I sent a message asking the buyer if that was correct, the message below is what I received after I sent the invoice. I do not want to lose $250 in fees either.

Thoughts?

"From: chanok817
To: satchmo72
Subject: Shipping: chanok817 sent a message about Ibanez JS2PRM JS series Guitar First Batch 2005 JS2 PRM Satriani #221265131006
Sent Date: Aug-09-13 10:40:32 PDT

Dear satchmo72,

Sorry for my error...i will offer you $5500 include free shipping to thailand.
if you accept i will pay but you not accept please cancel this order.
Thank you.

- chanok817"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Re: Sold PRM on bay, buyer changing terms of offer???

You should talk to ebay about this...

When you tell them about this they will cancel the deal without any fees...
Things like that happen every day on the bay...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM

Tell him to f-off and ask ebay to cancel the deal .
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 25

There is a way in ebay to cancel the transaction, the buyer has to agree with it and if he doesn't after a week or 2 it auto cancels and I think you get your fees back. But you need to look into it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

I called Ebay and spoke to them about options. I have created a cancellation request. If he accepts, I get my fees back automatically.

Hope for the best.

thats 2 out of the last 3 transactions that have been crap on Ebay.

Last edited by satchmo72; 08-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 PM

My JC was kind of a weird deal. The buyer account was from NY, as was the shipping address, but I was paid by a Russian international Paypal account. I called Paypal and made sure that everything was above board, they said go ahead with the deal.

I waited the full return period to leave feedback, just in case the guy tried to pull some crazy stuff. I'm 99% sure the guy who bought it was a criminal. I looked up the place I sent the guitar and it was some weird storefront in Brooklyn that was named in a recent State of NJ criminal investigation regarding a bunch of Russians.

It sounds like this guy was just trying to pull some BS on you. The bottom line is, if the guy was willing to pay $5500 for the guitar, he's willing to pay shipping. He's just trying to get a discount. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid in the end. I wouldn't worry about it, this is a clear case where eBay will back you.

Speaking of eBay, I just listed one of my UCGR's. The thing has been up three hours and I've already got some dick asking me what my lowest auto-accept price is because his "fair" offers are falling below my auto-reject threshold.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

LOL looks like your auto-accept price just went up.

Odd deal on the JC but at least it worked out. Luckily Russia did not come looking for you!!

we'll see how this one goes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Got a message this AM that he has changed his mind and wants me to ship to his Georgia USA address. I have a bad feeling, this is how the other debacle started and I am not going through that again. Ebay is going to credit my fees since the buyer had said to cancel the request.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Honestly I'd send the guitar to Georgia. I think the guy is just trying to haggle with you. I looked into this when I sold my JC and as long as you ship to the address on the Paypal transaction, you're 100% covered under Paypal's Seller Protection policy. If you decide to ship to Georgia, make sure you pay for the "adult signature required" (costs about $5). They will absolutely not leave the guitar without a signature of someone at least 21 and the receiver cannot waive the signature confirmation.

I think you're walking away from money in hand.

In my line of work, I work with a huge number of people from India and China. These are PhD educated people, yet they still try stuff like this with nearly every sale. When I first started, I took this really personally. Eventually, I realized that this was a cultural thing and it was wrong of my to try and hold them to my cultural norms. Now when I deal with a foreign born customer, I go into the deal expecting a fundamentally different type of deal.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I went against my instincts in Feb with the PRS and it is still haunting me to this day, he still calls occasionally.

Ok, that may be how they are, it's not how I am. Send me a message asking if I will work with you, dont have me cancel a transaction, knowing full well that if I do, they have to agree to it and then not agree so I cannot open a UPI. The premise of the "way of doing business" is distrust and I will treat it as such. He didn't change his mind, he knew what he was trying to do and that to me is not honest. I dont really care if I am leaving money on the table, I am tired of dealing with aholes and that was a crap move, plain and simple. It will be treated as such.

Not being pissy here with ya J, I may be taking it personally but it is just not how I work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode