Something I hate... - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Something I hate...

Some of us actually look at people's feedback. The advertisement states "...because I have to save for college!"

If you look at his feedback, you can see he buys and sells guitars for marginal profit. He's got a negative feedback for lying about the condition of one of the guitars (I've dealt with this type of crap in the past as well).

One thing that bothers me beside the obvious above is the feedback system on ****. Although there's not really a way to correct it, it's obvious that in many cases, one person gets screw in a deal. So why should the screwing party be allowed to leave negative feedback and ruin someone's record because of something they did or lied about?

I love chicken pot pie.

Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 PM

Re: Something I hate...

hmm chicken pot pie im having lasagna
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM

So is he genuine? He seems to be. I think the guy who left the negative feedback was talking BS.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsch
hmm chicken pot pie im having lasagna
I think I'll have that next .

Regards

André

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
So is he genuine? He seems to be. I think the guy who left the negative feedback was talking BS.
I've been in the same situation as that guy that left negative feedback. Dealt with someone from jemsite (this was a while back) who had good feedback... I bought a 777sk from the guy and he said it was mint. When I got it, it was chipped and cracked all over the place. I later returned to his profile on a certain auction site to find that very same guitar he had purchased from someone else via his feedback. The original seller had stated it's true condition. So what this guy was doing was buying guitars (and he still does), regardless of condition, and then turning around and selling them at a higher cost as well as lying about their condition. Most people just didn't want to leave negative feedback out of fear of having negative feedback left on their own accounts. You'll find out very fast that the sellers you can't trust are the ones that wait until the buyer leaves feedback. I pay for my auctions within 10 or 15 minutes usually, and when the money goes through, I should be left positive fedback for paying so fast, etc... because my part of the deal is done. Once I receive the product, then it should be my turn as a buyer to leave the feedback. Unfortunately, **** will probably never implement a policy like this to keep things honest.

You definitely learn to pay closer attention to certain details once you've been burned. Luckily I was able to get my money back on the deal.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 AM

^^^^

The same thing with my last 4 auctions on e-bay (I dont know why people do this ****?? stupid) but anyway, I Pay-Pal them also within 5/10 minutes and wont leave me positive feedback UNTILL I leave it for them first. And about a 3rd of the time they don't do it anyway??
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 PM

I am probably in the minority here, but I am one of the people that won't leave feedback right when the item is paid for. My opinion is that feedback should not be left for either party until the entire transaction is done. That means the seller has the money and the buyer has the goods. I don't have a problem leaving feedback first if I know that the item made the trip OK and the buyer is happy. I track the packages that I ship, and if the buyer has the package for a day or two and I haven't heard from them(either from an email or from them leaving feedback), then I shoot them an email to make sure that everything is OK. It is also the buyers responsibility to give the seller a chance to make things right if there is a problem, not just to pay.

I also don't think that the feedback there works good. It is a good idea, but most people don't want to leave negative feedback for fear of retaliation. Also, I once had a buyer leave feedback that I was a super fast shipper when I had not shipped the package yet. He paid and left feedback within minutes of each other. I don't put much faith in feedback ratings any more.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 AM

I think in truth its good for both partys if its left like it is. If you dont get into a bees nest then you want get stung. Thats the way I look at things.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:07 PM

Me too. I've bought stuff from bad people. I dont leave great feedback. But if Im pleased with it. I'll say "Thanks."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 07:00 PM

Talking Re: Something I hate...

To be honest, I've totally fallen out with e'Bay and the feedback thing. I got -ve feedback on a guitar I sold. In the auction I said that the trem was broken, and that the guitar had a hard life and was beaten up. Sold the guitar explicitly "Sold as seen". I also clearly stated for anybody with any doubts to ask for photos before bidding. Pretty straight forward.

Anyway, a guy sniped and won the auction at the last minute. We arranged to meet up and the guy saw the guitar and paid cash. I asked that if he ever came to sell it that he'd let me know since I really love the guitar. I even bought the guy a drink so that I could break a £20. Next thing I know is I got -ve feedback saying "guitar in poor condition, problem with trem not mentioned" - I emailed him back saying "I did mention that the trem was broken and I did mention that the guitar was a poor condition. Don't forget that you looked at it before you paid me the cash" etc. Tried to get in touch with the guy a few times but nothing ever came back. I'd quite like to get the guitar back off him now that I've sorted my cash situation out a bit.

The reason I mention this is that I also (like the guy in the auction above) used to buy and sell Jems for a little profit so that I could fund myself getting a nice guitar; as well as getting to play (and own for a little while) some nice guitars. I did sell a couple of my prized jems and UVs (including the knackered one above) because I was suddenly out of a job (and very very broke). All I'm saying is that just because the guy has a history of selling guitars doesn't necessarily mean that he's lying about his reasons for selling this one... but then again, even if he is lying about his reasons, so what? You pay your money and you take your choice. The -ve feedback this guy got was from a long time ago. Plus the fact that you can't really tell who's right and who's wrong from the comments. You're a fool if you buy something delicate like a guitar from e'Bay and don't factor in a bit of risk. Just like buying anything you have to make your mind up how much you trust somebody. Yep, fair enough there's a difference between something being described a little better than it really is (mint, near mint, very good and average are interchangeable in e'Bay auctions from experience) and getting outright conned (like paying for something and never seeing it, or your money, again).

For me at least buying 2nd hand from e'Bay is like a crappy version of buying from a newspaper advert - the only difference is that you get some pictures and you don't get to actually inspect the thing (as well as getting the false "sense of trust" that e'Bay and their feedback system offer). The main thing to remember with e'Bay is that people find it much easier to lie to you through the auction listing and email than if they actually had to say it to your face.

My general rule in business – “[Given the chance] most people will try to cheat you out of more money than they rightly deserve.” Selling through e'Bay gives people a whole lot of chances to screw you. You’re just dependent on principles (or inexperience…) of the seller.You might not like this, but think about it a little before you flame me

As for the feedback - I don't EVER leave feedback until both parties have completed the transaction (One has the cash and one has the goods) - You don't have much to work with even with feedback; without that you're pretty screwed if you want to resolve a situation...

Anyway, sorry for the rant. flame me at will

Pies are nice

Amen
-Bob
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Banned

People on **** make me sick. I work in a guitar shop and we ship like 3-5 guitars a day, as well as a bunch of other little things such as music books, little amps, pretty much anything and everything that can be shipped having to do with music. I do most of the listing of our items. I personally check out, play and inspect every guitar both before I list it, and before I ship it.
Now, I do this for a reason. It makes me sick when people buy a guitar for a set price, say $500, then write me an email saying something stupid like " This Guitar needed a set up. It cost me $50 to set it up, and I demand you reimburse me the $50, or I will leave you a negative feedback"
We sell alot of new guitars, and a few used one. All the new guitars are still in the box, and come factory set up, just as if you'd bought it in a store. If it frets out, or if the electronics are faulty, the repair man makes sure everything is up to code before we send it out. If the guitar is used, I'm VERY, VERY descriptive and provide pictures for any cosemtic faults on the guitar, bass, or whatever.
It just pisses me off when **** jerks try to get over, and try to demand money back in exchange for a positive feedback. Have any of you encountered problems like this in the past?
Nik
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Vendor

Take no offense, but does anybody find it hillarious when guitar shops cop out to the "All the new guitars are still in the box, and come factory set up" like it's a good thing? All it means is "the setup can be anywhere between pure crap to half decent, but if you think it'll be a well setup guitar then I've got some swampland in Florida you may be interested in".
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Take no offense, but does anybody find it hillarious when guitar shops cop out to the "All the new guitars are still in the box, and come factory set up" like it's a good thing? All it means is "the setup can be anywhere between pure crap to half decent, but if you think it'll be a well setup guitar then I've got some swampland in Florida you may be interested in".
Got any pics of that .

Regards

André

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

Ok Rich,

A) I don't own the store, I just work here and do the listing.

B) How many stores (Sam Ash, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend) set up guitars to your specifics? I mean, I just check it to make sure it's not faulty in anyways. And When you purchase a $99 Dean Evo XM, what kind of set up are you expecting?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Vendor

>>I do this for a reason. It makes me sick when people buy a guitar for a set price, say $500, then write me an email saying something stupid like " This Guitar needed a set up.

Not exactly a $100 Dean, but the point is still the same. How exactly do you know if there aren't problems with the strings 1/4" off the frets? And "In factory setup" is just a cop out, you might as well say "it's a crap shoot what you'll get".

Tags
dean evo , guitar shop , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode