Is it time to rename this forum? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Is it time to rename this forum?

So, I posted a thread yesterday about a really interesting and rare RG available on that famous auction site. It was not to advertise a "sweet deal" or to suggest that anyone buy it, but to start a conversation about a really interesting and uncommon guitar. In fact, I pointed out that the piece up for auction had been treated poorly and is not in good shape. Obviously, my point was to raise discussion about a rare model, not in any way to advertise an auction for myself or anyone else or even to recommend the guitar to forumites.

Some mod went full retard and deleted it anyway. The reason why? "No auctions!" Given that this is a section for discussion "Venders, Auctions, and Resellers," I'm wondering if the name of the forum needs to be changed or if someone got a little dumb and trigger happy.

To be clear, I'm still crushing on that RG570GFSVS stock photo and I wonder if anyone else has seen a well-taken-care-of example.

Last edited by jem7vwh; 08-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Is it time to rename this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
So, I posted a thread yesterday about a really interesting and rare RG available on that famous auction site. It was not to advertise a "sweet deal" or to suggest that anyone buy it, but to start a conversation about a really interesting and uncommon guitar. In fact, I pointed out that the piece up for auction had been treated poorly and is not in good shape. Obviously, my point was to raise discussion about a rare model, not in any way to advertise an auction for myself or anyone else or even to recommend the guitar to forumites.

Some mod went full retard and deleted it anyway. The reason why? "No auctions!" Given that this is a section for discussion "Venders, Auctions, and Resellers," I'm wondering if the name of the forum needs to be changed or if someone got a little dumb and trigger happy.

To be clear, I'm still crushing on that RG570GFSVS stock photo and I wonder if anyone else has seen a well-taken-care-of example.

"Full" retard is a 12 year suspension for a typo . I've heard that evil robot Jono does that from time to time! As far as I know the original issue over no auctions wasn't shilling your own auctions but highlighting the good deals that others might have invested time into scoping out (pre 'buy it now'). It might be time indeed to look at a few things like how to handle auction posts.
jono is online  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I've read Glen's rules and I was in no way suggesting that the auction was a good deal. My guess is that a past owner left the guitar in a storage shed or the trunk of a car for several years, given that the finish was fractured and flaking in places. My point was to suggest other forumites view the guitar in question, because I'd honestly never seen it before, so we could discuss it.

FWIW, it's a really cool model--the guy listed it as an RG570FM, but it's not. It's a 1993 EU market model called the RG570GF (Gravure Flame) in a color they called See-Through Violet Sunburst. It had the original neck joint, but a gold lo pro, gold dome knobs, and a rosewood board. If I ever see one in good shape, I'll have to pull the trigger. But I've never seen one in 15 years of shopping Ibanez gear.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM

I saw the listing. What I was going to post to the other thread is that I wonder if the clear coat can be sanded off and redone. I know it would eat loads of sand paper, but it seems like those cracks were in the clear only. I suppose that's a thin veneer or maybe even a graphic, though, so maybe it's harder than I think. Shame because it's beautiful otherwise.

Can't say much about the current topic, as I'm still mostly a newb here, but there is some grey area I don't quite understand yet, what with the 'auctions to laugh at' thread and so on. I don't want to draw negative attention to that thread because I enjoy it, but one could in theory auction a nice guitar with a nice price and ridiculous description, and advertise it here by making fun of it. It would be nice to have more than joking descussion about some auctions since I spend so much time looking at them, like many here probably do. I guess I'm not sure if it's ok to simply post the auction number instead, I don't remember if you posted an actual link or not.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
As far as I know the original issue over no auctions wasn't shilling your own auctions but highlighting the good deals that others might have invested time into scoping out (pre 'buy it now').
Ahhh, yes that makes sense, then.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
I wonder if the clear coat can be sanded off and redone. I know it would eat loads of sand paper, but it seems like those cracks were in the clear only. I suppose that's a thin veneer or maybe even a graphic, though, so maybe it's harder than I think. Shame because it's beautiful otherwise.
I thought about that too, but the finish is poly, so it'd be thick. And you're right too about the top being either a venere or just a photo-flame. I figure that any attempt to sand it down would endanger the flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
It would be nice to have more than joking descussion about some auctions since I spend so much time looking at them, like many here probably do. I guess I'm not sure if it's ok to simply post the auction number instead, I don't remember if you posted an actual link or not.
I only posted the item number, not a link.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It all comes down to what Jono said.
Some of us watch items and try to scoop them up at a good price.
If someone posts a link or item number, then we have a few thousand other people aware of it and kills any great deal a member may get the guitar for.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that this is indeed a very cool guitar and I've been toying with the idea of picking it up and living with the finish issues. The issue being that there's no buy it now price on the guitar and its incorrectly listed. So, it's possible that I was thinking I was onto a good thing knowing that it's not what it says it is, no one else might have seen it and if four or five of us now get into a bidding war on it because they saw it on here, I'd have been a little peeved if it was a direct result of it being drawn to folks attention because of a thread like this
jono is online  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

....especially since it's the same one that keeps getting relisted and lowered--and I'm ready to pounce on it.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM

.........i agree
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Reviews: 25

Personally I think its a stupid rule... I want my ibanez guitars to increase in Value, and stopping the spread of info about a guitar for sale, lowering the final value because no one new about it, only has a detrimental affect to the value of Ibanez guitars in general.

But thats just me..
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

If I'm SELLING, I don't like the rule. But with a properly written and formatted auction, anybody in the market for what I'm selling should be able to find it. And there's always CL. And I've had really good luck with ads here too. If it's a collectible Ibanez, I always list here first.

If I'm BUYING, I would definitely prefer people not talk about auctions. Spoils my sniping.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
If I'm SELLING, I don't like the rule. But with a properly written and formatted auction, anybody in the market for what I'm selling should be able to find it. And there's always CL. And I've had really good luck with ads here too. If it's a collectible Ibanez, I always list here first.

If I'm BUYING, I would definitely prefer people not talk about auctions. Spoils my sniping.
This is exactly the issue, and so far the site has taken the rule of supporting the buyer who's put work into finding a bargain. There are other guitar forums and other Ibanez forums where folks can post about live auctions. At least for the moment though, this isn't one of them.
jono is online  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 AM

The rule does not apply if the price/description/condition/item is silly? As there has been thousand of live auction links posted in that thread, it makes it very unclear what the effective rule really is.

So far it looks like "a good buy = no links" and "a terrible buy = links". That is not the best way to spread the "Ibanez disease" - which one would think is part of the purpose with this site. There might be a disclaimer in that thread, but I can't say I have seen it.

$0.05 (bad value, so I decided to add some C).
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Vendor

Members can't post links to their own auctions but they should be allowed to post links to other auctions just because they think somebody would want it? Are you serious?

There is a thread to post live auction links in, when they're relevant to that thread. Otherwise the rule was an auction had to be deemed so important that it was a social or moral obligation to start a thread and talk about. "Look, McRocvklin listed the PAW UV on ebay!" for example.

Otherwise, you can talk about an auction all you want, when it's over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode