Trade Etiquette? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Trade Etiquette?

I've always been confused about how mail trades work.
1) Who sends first? Obviously, seniority rules here right?
2) What happens if theres a problem? I.e. its not what they said it was, or something of that nature and refuses to return?
3) What if you dont like the guitar?

Success stories welcomed please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Trade Etiquette?

Kinda Curious myself?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I've always been confused about how mail trades work.
1) Who sends first? Obviously, seniority rules here right?
2) What happens if theres a problem? I.e. its not what they said it was, or something of that nature and refuses to return?
3) What if you dont like the guitar?

Success stories welcomed please.
Easy!
1.) Whatever the two traders work out--usually ship on the same day if possible.
2.) The two traders work it out between themselves, as Jemsite has no authority on the matter.
3.) See #2. Usually, sold/traded "as-is" is the norm. If someone doesn't like it--too bad. They knew what they were getting, and if not--should have done some research (something that seems to elude a vast majority of people these days.) Google, what's that? Ibanez catalogs, what are those? Jemsite SEARCH feature, we actually have one of those?!?!?!?

Success stories--17 of my 18 iTrader trades were perfect. The one exception was the RG-770DX VM I sold, and the buyer damaged it and tried to claim that he received it that way. Unfortunately for him--I take pictures of all items as they go in the box. When I showed him those pics, and stated he could file a damaged delivery claim--I never herd from him again.
So folks, use that as an example on how to conduct your trades. Describe the condition in detail, take hi-res pics of the item when listing and again when you're packaging it, and make clear what your policies are: returns welcome with "X" amount of days, as-is, etc.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 09-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Easy!
1.) Whatever the two traders work out--usually ship on the same day if possible.
2.) The two traders work it out between themselves, as Jemsite has no authority on the matter.
3.) See #2. Usually, sold/traded "as-is" is the norm. If someone doesn't like it--too bad. They knew what they were getting, and if not--should have done some research (something that seems to elude a vast majority of people these days.) Google, what's that? Ibanez catalogs, what are those? Jemsite SEARCH feature, we actually have one of those?!?!?!?
This is the way its handled on a few other sites I'm a member of.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Vendor

Simply, if you don't develop the trust needed in the other party, walk away, and that goes for both of you. Exchange phone numbers and call. You will get a far better read on the other guy talking than you ever could exchanging a few emails. Then, get all the details written to and agreed to in email which does become a contract. There is no way to be absolutely safe, so you have to use your instincts. I've been asked countless times to act as an escrow between traders but I just have no desire to play in the middle like that, it's too much work, and then I am at risk if somebody claims they shipped me a pristine RG550 and I opened a box of rocks.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm lucky, and have never had any issue trading on here or over at The Gear Page. Everytime has gone smoothly! I agree with Rich that you need to just feel the situation out and trust your instincts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Simply, if you don't develop the trust needed in the other party, walk away, and that goes for both of you. Exchange phone numbers and call. You will get a far better read on the other guy talking than you ever could exchanging a few emails. Then, get all the details written to and agreed to in email which does become a contract. There is no way to be absolutely safe, so you have to use your instincts. I've been asked countless times to act as an escrow between traders but I just have no desire to play in the middle like that, it's too much work, and then I am at risk if somebody claims they shipped me a pristine RG550 and I opened a box of rocks.
Especially when dealing with an old fart in NJ that runs an Ibanez chop-shop out of his living room! Bwaaaaah haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa!
Seriously though--Rich is right. Emails are one thing, and you can get a little feel for the deal--but a phone call makes it more personal and you can get a much better feel for it by the tone of voice, any sense of urgency on the seller's part, or lack of seller knowledge.
All of the old standby guidelines should be followed:
1. If it's an online sale/trade--make sure to have the seller put your name on a piece of paper in a pic with the guitar--especially if it's a Jem. Too many bait-and-switch sellers out there.
2. If it seems too good to be true--it probably is. That simple phone call and following suggestion #1 will help determine this.
3. After discussing and finalizing the trade deal--get email correspondence going for two reasons: a.) That proof of contract Rich mentioned and b.) You can look at the full header of the message for an IP address just in case the deal goes south and you need proof of location.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There is no way to be absolutely safe, so you have to use your instincts.
Thats good advice, I had to walk away from a great deal on a 20th (I realy wanted it as well) dont let your desire blind you. If things seem fishy walk away there will be other opportunities in the future.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Easy!

Success stories--17 of my 18 iTrader trades were perfect. The one exception was the RG-770DX VM I sold, and the buyer damaged it and tried to claim that he received it that way. Unfortunately for him--I take pictures of all items as they go in the box. When I showed him those pics, and stated he could file a damaged delivery claim--I never herd from him again.
So folks, use that as an example on how to conduct your trades. Describe the condition in detail, take hi-res pics of the item when listing and again when you're packaging it, and make clear what your policies are: returns welcome with "X" amount of days, as-is, etc.
ALASKABAT: Do not accuse me of damaging that guitar. I told you I was concerned about you sending it to me in a non original case. I DID NOT ASK YOU TO FOR A REFUND/OR FOR YOU TO MAKE IT GOOD AT ANYTIME. I simply told you I was unhappy with the transaction and did not even leave you negative trader feedback, maybe I should have.

I only deal in high end stuff, the guitar is for my 7 year old daughter. I have done many transactions with members of this forum. I am a good client of Rich Harris and have been dealing with him for over 10 years.

If you have a problem with me take it to pm. Frankly I can't be bothered with a small purchase gone bad.

Thanks for bringing it up. Have a wonderful day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeboy View Post
ALASKABAT: Do not accuse me of damaging that guitar. I told you I was concerned about you sending it to me in a non original case. I DID NOT ASK YOU TO FOR A REFUND/OR FOR YOU TO MAKE IT GOOD AT ANYTIME. I simply told you I was unhappy with the transaction and did not even leave you negative trader feedback, maybe I should have.

I only deal in high end stuff, the guitar is for my 7 year old daughter. I have done many transactions with members of this forum. I am a good client of Rich Harris and have been dealing with him for over 10 years.

If you have a problem with me take it to pm. Frankly I can't be bothered with a small purchase gone bad.

Thanks for bringing it up. Have a wonderful day.
Did I mention a name? I don't se that I did. You just made it clear to everyone, not me. Since you made it known to the rest who it was that I sold it to, then you need to go re examine the transaction. I took hi-res pics of the guitar before it went into the case--no damage except one small pinhead sized dind on the upper body contour. When you told me what happened, and I sent you the pics and asked questions about the way the box arrives and offered to file a claim--you never replied. How does that appear? That was all between you and I through PM.
The other part--mentioned above about trade experiences never mentioned the buyer. Now, over a year later--you get upset about it? I don't care who you've done business with--has no bearing on this. Why didn't you ever reply when I privided proof and offered to help file a claim? That's usually a tell-tale that the receiving party was trying to be deceptive. Again--sorry for whatever hapened--I tried to make it right, but it takes the other person's replies and info....which I never got.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM

Frankly, it pisses me off every time I see the guitar and seeing your post pissed me off even further.

Your pictures are fine. I never accused you of sending me a damaged guitar, I simply stated that it was damaged during shipping. I stopped replying because I was "letting it go".

PLEASE DO NOT ACCUSE ME OF DAMAGING THE GUITAR.

You used the word "deceptive" wow that is offensive. If I was trying to "get over" on you, I could've initiated a paypal chargeback and complaint, which I did not.

I think that who I deal with and have had dealings is relevant, I haven't had an issue or problem before. Just like you mention your successful transactions. I don't doubt that you are a GOOD and HONEST seller, but please do not paint me in a negative light.

Thanks again.

Last edited by chromeboy; 09-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 AM

Reviews: 25

So Linux !! Does the above answer your question ?

Lets just say, its always going to be uncharted waters, even if you have dealt with the person in the passed, the next transaction could be the one you regret...

its called a RISK !! :P
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeboy View Post
Frankly, it pisses me off every time I see the guitar and seeing your post pissed me off even further.

Your pictures are fine. I never accused you of sending me a damaged guitar, I simply stated that it was damaged during shipping. I stopped replying because I was "letting it go".

PLEASE DO NOT ACCUSE ME OF DAMAGING THE GUITAR.

You used the word "deceptive" wow that is offensive. If I was trying to "get over" on you, I could've initiated a paypal chargeback and complaint, which I did not.

I think that who I deal with and have had dealings is relevant, I haven't had an issue or problem before. Just like you mention your successful transactions. I don't doubt that you are a GOOD and HONEST seller, but please do not paint me in a negative light.

Thanks again.
First--I didn't name names. And, Your first reply to me was that I sent you a damaged guitar. I replied with the pics and questions and offered to file a claim--never heard back. Since you are now going back on the initial accusation--I will too. I was just going by the very limited info you gave me. Again--I didn't name names--you jumped in with the huff. We'll put it aside--we're adults. Just out of curiousity, and especially since I tried to help resolve it--if you were so pissed about it, then why didn't you reply so I could file a damage claim? That was what smelled bad about it.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 09-25-2011 at 03:53 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 AM

Traded one guitar for three guitars from a guy in Holland. I received two guitars, but the third took some time. I had a friend in Holland, who happens to be a lawyer, send him a letter - that was all it took to get the third one. Without him I think the third would never arrive. And I don't think I would be bothered to do much about it. They speak exotic jibberish down there, and making a call to the police wouldn't do me much good. That was the last trade I did. I would accept a local trade, but never again long distance trades.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Reviews: 13

Oh yeah! I love this site.

You guys could do it the old fashioned way, put on the gloves and punch on! Or agree to disagree and move on. Looking from the outside, something appears to have gone pear shaped for whatever reason, probably just out of good ol' bad luck, which sucks on both fronts. I am sure everyone on here can understand the frustration on both sides of the disagreement.

I is an interesting case study. On a personal note I have purchased an item through the trading pages and have had nothing but a positive experience.

-Wolfram (steps down from the soap box)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode