Using PayPal to avoid USPS size limits? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
mpr

Using PayPal to avoid USPS size limits?

I read on IbanezRules that USPS package size limits can be avoided if, somehow, setting up the shipping through PayPal.

Does anyone know how the procedure goes, and how reliable it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Using PayPal to avoid USPS size limits?

Maybe you should check out the Ibanez Rules website for the procedure if thats where you identified the loophole.....

I would note that this is likely fraud issue - not to be a stick in the mud - just saying........

-Wolfram
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Vendor

Interesting. Please elaborate. Is it the customer that's committing fraud by using Paypal shipping? Or is Paypal committing fraud on the postal system?

Payment received thru Paypal [must not be gift or personal payments], there is a "Print shipping label" block on your accounts page on that transaction line. Follow it through. Any questions can be answered by Paypal.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
mpr

From what I read around the whole size limitation thing is a little arbitrary anyway. People manage to send oversized by trying another post office, or after a mismeasurement, or no measurement, or even trying again the same post office.

Rich, did you ever get anything returned due to oversize when sending like that?

I wonder if there's a problem paying oneself...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Vendor

I haven't had anything returned yet.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Reviews: 13

I would imagine that this issue is not a major focus of fraud for USPS....however from a technical sense there may be concerns.

I am not that familiar with detailed USPS policy on this issue. I would also suggest that if it was, postal items would be getting returned quite quickly. If PayPal was out of pocket I am sure that they would / may likely cease the practice.

-Wolfram
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Vendor

That didn't elaborate on how this is "fraud" in any way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
mpr

Thanks for the info, Rich.

Wolfram, I've asked USPS about these limitations, particularly in light of the fact that in my case sending the other way around has a larger size limitation of 60"/108". What I understand from their reply is that it's a limitation imposed by the receiving country, not them. I've also read of people here that received larger packages.

I've talked with the local postal company to understand what's the deal, but couldn't get a straight answer so far. I wasn't even able to confirm the sizes directly with them. The most I've been told was "if USPS lists it as so, surely they know what they're talking about".

There's also this thread that suggests USPS may be misinformed at times:
http://www.shipito.com/16-shipping/1...ssia-79-vs-108

Tags
international , limit , shipping , size , usps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode