Want to sell a guitar for charity, but how? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Want to sell a guitar for charity, but how?

I'll be brief and to the point. My aunt recently lost her battle with cancer leaving my uncle with funeral and medical bills I know he won't be able to cover. My cousin and aunt started a fundraiser to help him out and I feel moved to do my part so I want to sell/auction off one of my guitars. However I'm thinking what's the best way to go about it. I'm looking at eBay, but I have to choose from one of there listed nonprofit charities which of course doesn't list the fundraiser they started. My biggest thing is I want people to feel compelled to donate to a great cause but ensure it's legal/legit. Anyone have any ideas how I should go about this. It's looking like eBay isn't the best option. Anyone have any experience sell guitars/gear for charity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Vendor

Re: Want to sell a guitar for charity, but how?

Unfortunately you're selling for a charity nobody but you cares about, unless others in the family want to buy the guitar to help. So it's going to sell for ebay money no matter how you list it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Unfortunately you're selling for a charity nobody but you cares about, unless others in the family want to buy the guitar to help. So it's going to sell for ebay money no matter how you list it.
Great points Rich. Not quite what I was hoping for, but thanks.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Hey Scott, have you thought about putting together a benefit party for them?

Benefits can be a good way to raise a little cash for a good cause...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Sorry to hear about your aunt. Funeral costs are one of those things you dont realize are insanely pricey until you have to arrange one :/

I would recommend throwing it on eBay or Reverb and mention in the listing its for a good cause.

Maybe even email the guys at reverb..they will probably throw your listing on the front page as they are good guys. Only problem is that reverb doesnt do auctions
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Sorry to hear about your aunt. Funeral costs are one of those things you dont realize are insanely pricey until you have to arrange one :/

I would recommend throwing it on eBay or Reverb and mention in the listing its for a good cause.

Maybe even email the guys at reverb..they will probably throw your listing on the front page as they are good guys. Only problem is that reverb doesnt do auctions
Thanks for the advice. I emailed the folks at Reverb to see if they can help. Waiting to hear back. I also contacted one of my friends at church since we are always doing stuff for charity to see if they could help. Hopefully I get it figured out soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode