What can you tell me about this seller and the product? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

What can you tell me about this seller and the product?

Hello:

I had found this seller on the bay with this PGM body replica body I'm interested in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is this legit? Is it worth the asking price? Are the measures and alignment correct? Do anyone of you guys have any experience with this seller?

His positive feedback is high. I'm inclined to buy, but...

The luthier I usually take my guitars to, told me not to buy anything at ebay. He said that the measures on this bodies are usually wrong, when the bridge is placed the scale length is wrong, the necks does not fit properly, and so on.... He said he usually spend more time and money trying to fix things when a customer brings him a project like that than if he started the whole project from scratch (cutting the body and the neck himself).

He is good in what he does. What tickles me is that he charges $4,000 for a handmade guitar (which I do not have and will not), and he may be trying to discourage me about starting a project using this type of parts in order to convince me to order one of his guitars.

Any advice will be gladly welcomed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: What can you tell me about this seller and the product?

you can trust perle, and if you dont want to buy off ebay you can buy direct from him at perleguitars.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
you can trust perle, and if you dont want to buy off ebay you can buy direct from him at perleguitars.com
Thanks man. I think I'm starting a project then.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM

Reviews: 18

have fun!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarified_pr View Post
Hello:

I had found this seller on the bay with this PGM body replica body I'm interested in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The luthier I usually take my guitars to, told me not to buy anything at ebay. He said that the measures on this bodies are usually wrong, when the bridge is placed the scale length is wrong, the necks does not fit properly, and so on.... He said he usually spend more time and money trying to fix things when a customer brings him a project like that than if he started the whole project from scratch (cutting the body and the neck himself).

He is good in what he does. What tickles me is that he charges $4,000 for a handmade guitar (which I do not have and will not), and he may be trying to discourage me about starting a project using this type of parts in order to convince me to order one of his guitars.
Don't you love those self-centered egomaniacs that think anything made by someone else sucks? Sure he wan't you to stay away from anything on eBay--he want's you to drop your cash on his stuff. Nate does good work--you can't go wrong with one of his bodies! As with all bodies, there may be some minor tweaking involved depending on the rest of the parts you use. Make sure to get a 500 series or higher neck for this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Vendor

Let's not call a rat until you've had to spend 20 hours making parts from 3 different vendors mesh together and then turn it into an instrument. Which is why I'll never again take on "project assembly", just like this guy learned the hard way also.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Let's not call a rat until you've had to spend 20 hours making parts from 3 different vendors mesh together and then turn it into an instrument. Which is why I'll never again take on "project assembly", just like this guy learned the hard way also.
I can understand both your point and the guys here.

My problem is about economics. I have seen his originals and those may be worth every penny he ask for them. But I don't have that kind of money, and based on my annual salary I will not have it anytime soon. At the moment I'm not playing at any level that deserves for me to spend that kind of money either. I just want a PGM replica and do some finish that never came out from Ibanez themselves. And I'm on a limited budget, so I'm open to suggestions. But not open to trial and error.

I don't know anything about assembly, intonation, action and all that stuff. I know what those are but never learned how to do it myself. As a teenager I damaged the trus-rod on my guitar and never ever tried to fix things myself again. I either take my guitars to him or someone else I know locally. So if someone with over with over 20 years of experience like him, bails on a job like that it makes you wonder.

He is in his right to decide what he works on, and I'm down with that. If you can't assure the results of a job and the quality of it; it is best to never start it at all and be honest with your customer. But you should point your customer in the right direction instead of discourage him.

Anyways.... I went completely off topic in that line of thought. Let's go back to the original topic.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 AM

Reviews: 11

Sounds like you need a new luthier, or he needs to get with the digital age. And it sounds like you need to grow a pair when working on your guitars Building a custom project would be a great way to do that!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 2

It seems that you have a particular "dream guitar" in mind. Since that "dream" has never been built by any manufacturer, it will have to be custom built by someone. You obviously have the "pair" required or you wouldn't be asking about doing this build in the first place. As has been said, Perle body's can be trusted for a custom build. The body WILL require some work though. Usually very minor work but, as Rich said, it will take some time and more importantly....patience.

Many here have used Nate Perle's body for there custom project's..... If only there was a way to find those post's. Then you could see what those builders ran into with their projects....... maybe AlaskaBat can help you find those posts.............lol.

My personal opinion is that if you have the time, finances, and desire to build this guitar- then you should absolutely go forward with it. There are plenty of Jemsiter's that will get you through the "tough" parts. Just be sure to ask LOTS of questions before any phase of the build, That way you'll get all of the tips and tricks (and opinion's/arguments...lol) to make a beautiful, one off custom.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Okay, I read this whole thread, and my question becomes this? Have you ever seen one Pearles guitar bodies?

His paint work is great. Seriously, top notch. Great swirl, great clear, gret buff, etc.

The body.....huge piece of poop. He isn't cutting these on a cnc machine. If he is, he should take it back because it isn't working right. The claw looks like it was cut out with a chisel. At best it was done by hand with a router. The handle is messed up on the back. the pick up routings are definitely done by hand, and the neck pocket is sloppy fit. All of the parts fit, so it's functional, and from 10 feet away it looks great, but from where I have to look it at from when I'm playing it, it's embarrassingly bad.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

The 540PII bodies Nate cut for me came in dead on balls accurate (minus the wacky joint for a proper AANJ).

Tags
custom , pgm body , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode