What effect does a signature have on resale price? - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

View Poll Results: How much is a signature worth?
$1000 0 0%
$500 2 5.13%
$100 0 0%
$20 1 2.56%
$0 9 23.08%
Less than one that was not signed. 22 56.41%
I wouldn't buy it at all. 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

What effect does a signature have on resale price?

Let's consider this is on a collectible guitar that did not come signed as part of the edition. An LNG missing it's signature devalues the guitar, this is a guitar that has had a signature added.

Just for fun, lets make it a BIG BOLD SIGNATURE right on the front in black sharpie that will never fully come off, not a simple back of headstock on the wood deal.

How much more would you pay? Would you pay more? Would you pay less, or avoid it all together?

I don't think this has ever been polled, might be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: What effect does a signature have on resale price?

Personally, I don't understand the price of some signature guitars. Most guitars that are well north of $1000, you can reproduce yourself for much less. You just have to take the time to do it yourself.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Contributor

I think signatures on the front of a guitar ruin it. I wouldn't buy with a signature on the front. I have one JS with a signature on the headstock and I didn't pay extra for it and I don't really care that it's there.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 PM

****, I voted without reading, no way I would ever buy a guitar like that. If it was on the back on the removable trem cavity cover, then its no big deal and I would pay an extra $80-$120 for it if its Vai.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
****, I voted without reading, no way I would ever buy a guitar like that. If it was on the back on the removable trem cavity cover, then its no big deal and I would pay an extra $80-$120 for it if its Vai.
Really? Extra $80-100?

That's a lot for a signature I would think. You'd make the seller a happy guy

Personally I like having been there when the person signs it for you. I had Vai, Stevie van Zant, and a few others sign my prestige (on the back) and it wouldn't have been as special if I hadn't been there asking to have it signed. But that's just me, I NEVER plan in reselling any of my gear.

I hate the described dead smack on the front signatures. It just seems lame to me, don't know why. While it is a memoir to an enjoyed artist, it would be too direct

ALTHOUGH- if it were a rare signature of an artist or person who is no longer in a position to sign a guitar, depending on who that person is yes. If it were Les Paul or SRV on a guitar of interest, I would pay probably 100-200 more. But a guy like Vai or Satriani who sign lots of guitars all the time (signatures of which are also flooded on backplates and such already in places like eBay) no.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 PM

I don't really have time to go to concerts because I work 100ish hours a week so yes, totally worth it.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think a signature is certainly worth less than it used to be because social media lets us have a more immediate connection to a favourite artist than an autograph these days.

If someone had a lifelong love of an artists work and had now way to get in a position to get their own signature, then it can see the monetary value for them, but given how accessible many stars choose to make themselves these days I don't thing getting an autograph is as difficult as it used to be. As such any value an autograph might have is usually offset by a poor placement (such as the overly obvious one described in the OP).

The old 'back of the headstock' is pretty much the only place I'd think is a 'cool' place to get an autograph and then, only from a very select few artists.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 05:20 AM

I would appreciate a signature over one of the plastic cavity covers, left in the case to protect it, and replaced with a blank plastic cavity cover to do its job.
In my opinion, signatures don't add value.

If it's a big bold one on the top of the guitar, i would avoid it.

Some exceptions of course. What if the signature comes from the artist/luthier who built this hypothetical ultra-rare guitar? then it's not a guitar anymore but a collectors' piece.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 AM

How about a few million dollars?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...?frame=2162614
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

If I had known I would had added that to the poll!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If I had known I would had added that to the poll!
What's amazing, outside of our little world of Ibanez, is that autographs can fetch a ton of money, even stuff brought into Pawn Stars (History Channel) on napkins, shirts, etc that don't seem to be properly planned. Sometimes you see somebody you like and you just get an autograph anywhere that's convenient. I would much rather like a signed shirt from a game from Giant's ace Tim Lincecum than an "official" major league signed baseball.

Some celebs in the world of autograph hunters rarely sign anything bringing up the price considerably.

I hate to say it, but in the future way down the line when somebody like Steve or Joe pass away, anybody who has a signed Ibanez who played that autographed guitar recklessly and marred the signature may not be so happy. My friend had a great guitar he had signed from his favorite band during their most productive lineup and didn't clearcoat the signatures and they mostly wore off through normal use of the guitar. The band changed and then later broke up and there's no way to get it back. One could kick themselves but while the band was still in existence it didn't seem like a big deal playing the guitar with signatures on the front w/o clearcoat. There was always that chance that you could meet the band at a later show and get new signatures.

My advice, keep all guitars with signatures and see what happens. When possible, protect the signatures if you play the instrument.

Autographs can be priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post

Some celebs in the world of autograph hunters rarely sign anything bringing up the price considerably.
Shoeless Joe, couldn't read, almost never signed anything, because he barely could. Worth a small fortune. Jimi, signed, but short life. There are always exceptions, but there are signatures that are virtually worthless because they're easy to get and very common. Pay Pete Rose $25 and have anything signed, etc.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Shoeless Joe, couldn't read, almost never signed anything, because he barely could. Worth a small fortune. Jimi, signed, but short life. There are always exceptions, but there are signatures that are virtually worthless because they're easy to get and very common. Pay Pete Rose $25 and have anything signed, etc.
I didn't know he was illiterate (or nearly so) and heck that sounds like some of the football team from my Division III Alma Mater who spent time at literacy/reading lab at the university library.

Pete signs a lot of stuff and since he's still alive it's no big deal. But after he's gone, sigs go up in value. Of all stuff he signed, some will be lost and in some weird cases, disposed of accidentally like thrown out with trash by accident.

Besides making himself available one reason people want signatures is that a human being hitting 4,000 in the majors is insane and one will never see another hitter like that in their lifetime. Before him, only Ty Cobb from the old days hit over 4,000. Also there's the bad boy aspect of it being such a great player with all those years with the Reds yet probably getting banned from Hall of Fame due to gambling on the game while active. He's both famous and infamous. I would love a Pete Rose signature for both reasons. That being said he will probably eventually get into the Hall of Fame as will bad guys like Barry Bonds.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

A lot of people would like his signature, that's why he can sit at a show and charge $25 for it. But when he's dead and gone, there will still be a few million signatures out there. Only rare and desirable signatures accelerate in value. The free market will determine, but the internet made a lot of things easily obtained and worth a whole lot less than they were before hand.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM

I voted less than one not signed, I have JS1000 signed on the front by Joe:

It's the only thing i'm not so crazy about the guitar, it was definitely not a selling point for me, but the guitar was in great condition at a great price and it is a 98 model with a lo-pro edge, if i were to find the same model without the sig i could definitely see myself paying an extra 50 bucks.

Tags
signed guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode