Where is Darren J. from ATD? - Page 8 - Jemsite
Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk Not for posting JEM/UV ads. Not for posting dealer/broker ads. Not for advertising ebay auctions. This is to chat about resellers, various gear in question, odd items or the people selling them.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM

re: Where is Darren J. from ATD?

Last edited by Rayzor; 11-05-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Vendor

I do.
post #108 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Is it possible he could maybe be dead? I know thats bad to say, but its just hard to believe someone like him who has been in the business as long as he has, with a good reputation, and known by millions of people, would do this (Take peoples guitars, never contact them back, and basically disappear off the face of the earth for two years) I know its bad to think, but I suppose it could be possible. Maybe one of you guys who has sent your guitar to him could do some research and possibly be able to confirm or deny this. I also noticed his website is no longer up either, and as well known as he is in the guitar community, SOMEBODY should have seen him within the last 2 years and you would think the word would have made it back to here.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 07-18-2006 at 07:27 PM.
post #109 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
Is it possible he could maybe be dead? I know thats bad to say, but its just hard to believe someone like him who has been in the business as long as he has, with a good reputation, and known by millions of people, would do this (Take peoples guitars, never contact them back, and basically disappear off the face of the earth for two years) I know its bad to think, but I suppose it could be possible. Maybe one of you guys who has sent your guitar to him could do some research and possibly be able to confirm or deny this. I also noticed his website is no longer up either, and as well known as he is in the guitar community, SOMEBODY should have seen him within the last 2 years and you would think the word would have made it back to here.
That's just what i was thinking.
post #110 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 AM

Hey guys I got a possible solution to the problem........

I've got a private pilot's liscense and would be willing to fly down there this week, find his shop, and get some answers. Supply me with his address and I will find the closest airport and fly in, go to his shop and get some anwers for all of you. I will do this if you guys want, under one condition, you pay for it. Operating cost & fuel is about $200 an hour, I could probably make it there in about 3 hours. Yea, thats $900 there and $900 back but I would have answers for you, and, supply me with some pictures & serial #'s of your guitars, written statements, phone #'s and all that good stuff and I may be coming back with a plane full of guitars. I understand its alot of money, but it wouldn't be if all you who have lost your instruments chipped in equal amounts.....I don't know how many of you there is, but lets say theres 10 members on this board who have lost there guitar, several of which are over $1000, it would only cost you $180 per person. And I don't know about you, but if I had a JEM 7vwh there for over two years and somebody said they could get it back for me for $200 or less, I'd have them the money by the end of the day. Then, on the other hand, I may get down there and he may not be there. If thats the case I'll stay the night and go again the next day and sit out front ALL DAY til someone shows up. And the other scenario could be that there might not even be a shop there anymore. If thats the case, I will take pictures of the location and address to prove that I did go and that he is no longer located there. If there was another business there they may have an idea of how to contact him, if their the ones who bought or leased the building after him.

Either way you look at it you would have some answers, and maybe even a guitar.

If you'll just cover my expense for the plane I'll do it for you guys.

Most airports have complimentary automobiles for pilots to borrow from the FBO (Fixed based operator) to go run errands, get lunch, etc, so once I get down there I'll have something to drive, and I KNOW theres about 10 airports in the pennsicola area, so I'm sure theres one within 10-20 miles of his shop.

Yes, I know somebody's going to say it would be cheaper to fly airline, BUT, my reply to that is I wouldn't be able to go when I want, leave when I want, I don't know how long I'll have to stay so I wouldn't know when to schedule for departure, I more than likely wouldn't be able to probably land at the closest airport, I would have to rent a vehicle, and IF I was able to get your guitars back I would have NO WAY to bring them back if I was flying airline. Flying Privately is more expensive b/c of the convience factor and benifits of being able to fly where you want when you want, and leave when you want with whatever you want.

With a good tail wind I might could actually make it in less than that Actually I won't know EXACTLY how long it would take until I plot the course and see how many nautical miles it is. But I'm sure its probably around 3 or so. Wind could help or hurt + or - an hour.

Like I said I can go on a moments notice so talk about it amongst yourselves and let me know.

If cost is a factor I'll drive down there for half the price of flying and take an eclosed trailer so then I KNOW I'll have enough room for the guitars if I can get them. Like I said I would need your #'s so that he could call you and verify, serial #'s etc....

Nobody else seems to be making any offers to get to the bottom of this, but this is the best I can do.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 08-31-2006 at 02:47 AM.
post #111 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I do.
+1

Regards

Andrť

post #112 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
Hey guys I got a possible solution to the problem........

I've got a private pilot's liscense and would be willing to fly down there this week, find his shop, and get some answers. Supply me with his address and I will find the closest airport and fly in, go to his shop and get some anwers for all of you. I will do this if you guys want, under one condition, you pay for it. Operating cost & fuel is about $200 an hour, I could probably make it there in about 3 hours. Yea, thats $900 there and $900 back but I would have answers for you, and, supply me with some pictures & serial #'s of your guitars, written statements, phone #'s and all that good stuff and I may be coming back with a plane full of guitars. I understand its alot of money, but it wouldn't be if all you who have lost your instruments chipped in equal amounts.....I don't know how many of you there is, but lets say theres 10 members on this board who have lost there guitar, several of which are over $1000, it would only cost you $180 per person. And I don't know about you, but if I had a JEM 7vwh there for over two years and somebody said they could get it back for me for $200 or less, I'd have them the money by the end of the day. Then, on the other hand, I may get down there and he may not be there. If thats the case I'll stay the night and go again the next day and sit out front ALL DAY til someone shows up. And the other scenario could be that there might not even be a shop there anymore. If thats the case, I will take pictures of the location and address to prove that I did go and that he is no longer located there. If there was another business there they may have an idea of how to contact him, if their the ones who bought or leased the building after him.

Either way you look at it you would have some answers, and maybe even a guitar.

If you'll just cover my expense for the plane I'll do it for you guys.

Most airports have complimentary automobiles for pilots to borrow from the FBO (Fixed based operator) to go run errands, get lunch, etc, so once I get down there I'll have something to drive, and I KNOW theres about 10 airports in the pennsicola area, so I'm sure theres one within 10-20 miles of his shop.

Yes, I know somebody's going to say it would be cheaper to fly airline, BUT, my reply to that is I wouldn't be able to go when I want, leave when I want, I don't know how long I'll have to stay so I wouldn't know when to schedule for departure, I more than likely wouldn't be able to probably land at the closest airport, I would have to rent a vehicle, and IF I was able to get your guitars back I would have NO WAY to bring them back if I was flying airline. Flying Privately is more expensive b/c of the convience factor and benifits of being able to fly where you want when you want, and leave when you want with whatever you want.

With a good tail wind I might could actually make it in less than that Actually I won't know EXACTLY how long it would take until I plot the course and see how many nautical miles it is. But I'm sure its probably around 3 or so. Wind could help or hurt + or - an hour.

Like I said I can go on a moments notice so talk about it amongst yourselves and let me know.

If cost is a factor I'll drive down there for half the price of flying and take an eclosed trailer so then I KNOW I'll have enough room for the guitars if I can get them. Like I said I would need your #'s so that he could call you and verify, serial #'s etc....

Nobody else seems to be making any offers to get to the bottom of this, but this is the best I can do.
Wow, that is probably the single greatest post I've read on these boards.

The man is willing to FLY for you people! lol

I hope that happens actually, make sure to post some pics!
post #113 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
+1

Regards

André
you have a +1 because you got your guitar body back from him.
post #114 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:55 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Has noone heard back or followed up with the Pensicola Police Dept? ...glen
post #115 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM

has anyone actually filed a complaint?
post #116 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:46 AM

I have not filed a complaint. My communication with the Pensacola Police Dept. had them telling me this was a civil matter. I don't see a rason to kick a guy when he's down. It's not right, what he's doing, don't get me wrong. But I believe there is a level of extinuating circumstance, pride, embarrasment and fear that exist inside Darren right now and it has led us to where we are with this whole thing right now.
post #117 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:03 AM

Hey guys..... If you want to pay some guy (SCS) to fly to (must not have read half of the posts and guess he can't figure out where he'd be flying into yet) Pensacola Florida, I say go for it.
I have had indirect contact with Darren through a mutual friend. For what it is worth..... and remember this is second hand information. Darren apparently still has a bunch of guitars and bodies laying around. I have asked that the request to contact Jemsite and his customers be given to him several times, and feel confident it has been passed on. I'm still personally trying to meet him and get the message across of just how critical this situation is. As stated to some of the principals in this whole deal thru PM's..... lets take our time and be patient. I know that's a tough thing to do if your out money plus a guitar.
I would hope that my earlier posts would have given you some legal options to follow. But if you feel the need to send someone who's "interests" seem to be motivated by what appears to be "business" related. Again, go for it. Like what..... he'd come down here and "just take" you guitars back??? More likely he'd end up in the Escambia County jail and you'd still be without your beloved guitars. And then he'd be requesting more of your hard earned money for legal fees incurred on "your behalf".
I assure you Darren is still in town and has recently gotten back into hanging out with some local musicians. Now we're trying to get him motivated to complete these projects and contact his customers.
O.K. you ask my personal interest..... absolutely none, other than I live close to Pensacola, hate to feel or get ripped off, and hate to see it happen to others.
On the other hand..... have SCS fly in, "play" tough guy, and if....yeah, if.... he even gets anywhere with his "adventure", you could spend more of your hard earned cash and let him swirl your guitars too! Just because Darren has been playing fast and loose as a business man..... he's still the "artist" you chose based on his quality work. Sorry SCS if this pisses you, but I just call it like I see it. And contrary to your last comment some of are trying to get this resolved...... just not with "strong arm" or "redneck" tactics.
Again, if you feel you have exhausted all avenues and have been "ripped off" then you'd need to contact the Escambia County Sheriff's Office at (850) 436-9630 to file a criminal complaint. Or, if any of these transactions took place via the US mail or wire (ie. fund transfer)..... contact your local FBI office.

jemplayer55
PM me if you have any questions.
I won't charge you a damn penny!

Last edited by jemplayer55; 07-19-2006 at 12:20 PM.
post #118 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea151
I have not filed a complaint. My communication with the Pensacola Police Dept. had them telling me this was a civil matter. I don't see a rason to kick a guy when he's down. It's not right, what he's doing, don't get me wrong. But I believe there is a level of extinuating circumstance, pride, embarrasment and fear that exist inside Darren right now and it has led us to where we are with this whole thing right now.
Wrong about the civil matter, but on the right track otherwise!
post #119 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55
Wrong about the civil matter, but on the right track otherwise!
Wow, OK. I guess if I feel like I am out of avenues to persue, I may contact the Sherrif's Office then. The Police Department did not want to get involved and told me to hire an attorney.
post #120 of 368 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you were given very bad advice - hopefully the exception not the rule. if they repeat that nonsense ask them to stop cleaning the coffee pot, put down the donuts and get their superior officer on the phone You could even go IN PERSON to your local police station and talk to someone, which is what i would advise as then you'd have an additional nag factor for the local cops...glen

Tags
addario strings , alder body , atd swirl , atd swirls , christopher woods , clear coat , cosmo hardware , guitar body , herc fede , jim donahue , john petrucci , john petrucci model , petrucci model , swirled body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode