Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  SandmaN211 
#1 · (Edited)
just wondering which ones? i am leaning towards the peavy and roland range (heard theri good )but if there are better ones let me know
i usually play rock/heavy metal but i also play alot of stuff from vai, satriani and dream theater
i would love a tube amp but i think it will sound s@#t at low volumes so theres no point getting one

btw i have an rg2570 if u anyone wants to no

#7 ·
I changed the thread title for you to $250.

I think I'd check out the Line6 stuff as well, something like a Spider maybe. You wouldn't need lots of effects budget left over if you go that route.
There's lots of amps out there, though, so grab your guitar and go play some!

jim

#8 ·
I have a Peavey Studio 112 that I use for my practice amp, one of the Transtube ones. It sounds pretty good, 2 channels and reverb, both footswitchable, and an effects loop. The clean channel has modern and vintage modes, the dirty channel has vintage (old Marshall-ish), modern (Recto-ish), and high gain modes (Soldano-ish). At 65W, I have the volumes set very low for normal practice, but since it's ss it still sounds fine. It also serves as a better than average backup amp for my tube head since it has an external speaker jack and can run a cabinet (8 ohm min).

<$0.02

#10 ·
POD XT and some headphones, or run it through your computer speakers, or stereo for that matter. No better bang for the buck, plus you'd have a great recording tool as well, tons of tones and effects. And it is very very portable, and sounds good enough to use live directly into the board. No brainer from my perspective.

#13 ·
ibanezcollector said:
you can aslo get a Behringer Vampire combo which is a V-Amp2 Pro in a stereo amp.. Comes in lots of configurations too..

Also check out the Vtone Combo series which is all analog versus digital. I am personally looking at the Vtone 2x12 combo its $259 GMX212 I think is the model number.

http://www.behringer.com/GMX212/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Please dont. If its anything else like their smaller analog modeling amp, it sucks so much ass. Go digital because it sounds so much better. Analog is just like an expesive POS distortion modeler from what I've played.

#15 ·
SandmaN211 said:
i would love a tube amp but i think it will sound s@#t at low volumes so theres no point getting one
I have three low-watt tube amps all no-name tube amps I bought through ****.

1) a 22 watt 5e3 (tweed deluxe) circuit, solid-state rectified. No head cab,
with a cheap (steelsound/madison) 2x12 eminence loaded speaker cab total: $300

2) a 10-watt, cab-less 5f1 (champ) solid state rectified head built by allen amplification, which I also run into the madison, $200

3) a 5 watt 5f1 (tube rectified) combo, in a no-name tweed cabinet, $300

Go for a low-watt tube amp. If you have close neighbors (I don't) they might call the cops if you crank a 22-watt tube amp at the wrong time. The 5 and 10 watters sound great cranked, and won't bother people that much, but no headroom, of course.

I also have an old peavy "rage" solid state practice amp, which I hate...

#16 ·
Gresh said:
POD XT and some headphones, or run it through your computer speakers, or stereo for that matter. No better bang for the buck, plus you'd have a great recording tool as well, tons of tones and effects. And it is very very portable, and sounds good enough to use live directly into the board. No brainer from my perspective.
I agree 100%. I bought a tweed fender hot rod deluxe, all tube and it sounded killer, but like you said not at low volumes, so I traded it in for a pod xt live, a good set of head phones, and some good computer speakers for times I don't want to use the phones, and I couldn't be happier. there are so many things you can do with a pod, I would really recomend looking into or trying one. You can play as loud and as late as you want with the head phones, and no one after you to turn it down. chef21

#18 ·
elcid said:
I like the Fender G-Dec. It isn;t the best sounding amp, but it;s versatile, has built in effects and back up tracks to jam to.
+1. Yep, it's good value for what you get, the jam tracks are cool to practice soloing against in whatever key or tempo you choose. And built-in tuner, etc. The sounds aren't great, but aren't too bad either. A spider would be ok too but has way fewer features.

#22 ·
I have always liked the Line6 Spider stuff, great value and a good range of sounds too. Some of the Marshall stuff isnt too bad either, especially the AVT series, I have always like some of the tones from those. Randall make a nice combo too actually - as people have said, the only way to be sure is to get out and try some!

#24 ·
1st, buy USED !
You can get a nice used amp for $250.00
If you can see your way clear to make it up to the $300.00 level, You can find a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 or other Combo, (I'm partial to the Mesa as I have one and it rocks!) I'm sure for the money you can find a number of modelling amps as well.

Ok I stand a tad corrected on the pricing of the Mesa, I got mine for $300 + Shipping about 10 years ago and they seemed to have jumped up in value.

Either way, I would still keep my eyes open for one, as there are bargains to be had if you're dilligent. I would search the local Craigslist.org listings for musical instruments.

I guess knowing what you want after trying out a few amps would help too, as it's going to be difficult to know what an amp will sound like based on opinions only. Either way, keep your eyes open for deals, you can find 'em, just keep watching.

Bamm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.