@ Rivera TBR/M100/M60/S120 owners.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

@ Rivera TBR/M100/M60/S120 owners....

Just got a Rivera M60 half stack on fri night and have been tweaking all weekend .... Just wondering if you guys could share some of your fav settings for cleans/rhythm/lead tones?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 05:04 PM

Re: @ Rivera TBR/M100/M60/S120 owners....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
Just got a Rivera M60 half stack on fri night and have been tweaking all weekend .... Just wondering if you guys could share some of your fav settings for cleans/rhythm/lead tones?!?
Riveras are great I havve been thinking of getting one, but with the nearest dealer a huge distance away (I would have to take a whole day to try it). I did have a quick go of a s/h one which was nice. But those things have so many knobs, buttons and switches it would take a weekend to try them all!

What do you like about yours?
How is the frequency response?
Gain?

Thanks
:P
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 06:36 PM

my setting on a TBR1-SL

Channel#1(lead):vol10/bass4/slope4/middle4/treble8/master4
Channel#2(clean or crunch):vol7/treb8/tmeq-freq5-lev5/bass4/master3(pulled)

Pcomp:10 assign on ch#1 for lead and on Ch#2 for crunch or not if you want clean

focus and presence :1
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 PM

I'll have to run down and copy my current settings from my TBR1-SL...not married to the rhythm tone just yet, but I like my clean setting.

These amps require a lot of effort to set up properly but the frequency response from the eq is nothing short of phenomenal, one little change makes a big difference. Also, cabinet choice seems to be particularly critical with Rivera amps. They do surprisingly well at low volumes, but once you crank them, look out they just spring to life.

The gain is there, but it doesn't sound like a rectifier. If that's what you're after then get a rectifier. My best description of the SL tone is that it fits squarely between a seriously modded marshall and a rectifier, it has it's own voice. Marry with that one of the finest cleans you will hear this side of a 65 deluxe reverb and that will give the basic idea. It sounds really full through a good 2x12, but pump it through a 4x12 and it'll darn near make you faint. I'm still figuring out how all the features interact with each other and the slope functions. Others who have good settings to try, please let us know, I'd love to experiment more. Oh yeah, these amps are so quiet it's eery. They do something with converting current to DC at certain points in the amp to keep the noise down...not sure exactly but I remember reading something about it...also not sure if they do that in all their amps or just the old TBRs.

Good luck and have fun.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Riveras are great I havve been thinking of getting one, but with the nearest dealer a huge distance away (I would have to take a whole day to try it). I did have a quick go of a s/h one which was nice. But those things have so many knobs, buttons and switches it would take a weekend to try them all!

What do you like about yours?
How is the frequency response?
Gain?
You really need a lot of time to cycle through the endless possibilities that this amp (M60) can offer. I've read how many rivera owners take MONTHS to find 'their' sound. I can now see why - the eq controls are very sensitive, plus most of them have a push/pull option on them. Plus the fact that they have high/low & Pentode/Triode switches gives even more possibilities . By screwing around with the effects loop send/return levels (on the back panel), you can tame the amp down to bedroom levels and get some good tones.

So far i like the fact that this thing is sooo versatile.. The gain may be my only issue. I think i may need an overdrive pedal before the amp to send it over the top and get more smoothness for a lead tone. This amp does have a fair bit of gain though and i agree with the statement that its somewhere between a modded marshall and a duel recto. I have found many good dirty rhythm sounds already, and have managed to get some very good sounding vai/legacy tones. In terms of cleans - its hard to find a crap clean sound!

I'd be interested in settings for lead work - sustaining/smooth tone....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 AM

I gig with an M100 head into a Marshall vintage angeled 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks.

I will supply my settings when I can from my gig box.

Loads of samples settings ara available on the Rivera website though.

Also a good trick is to use the Slavemaster loop with something like a Rocktron Pro Q in the loop to give a good tonal change/boost for both channels.

I'd be interested to know if anybody's run one of these with a power soak?

Jamie
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:50 PM

I have a '92 M60 4x10 w/ Celestions and the sound is massive and awesome... unfortunately it's getting some work done at the shop, so I won't have it 'till next week. Not having a problem getting a good sound out of it though- it all sounds good! Was there any particular tone you were going for?

-Ben
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You really need a lot of time to cycle through the endless possibilities that this amp (M60) can offer. I've read how many rivera owners take MONTHS to find 'their' sound. I can now see why - the eq controls are very sensitive, plus most of them have a push/pull option on them. Plus the fact that they have high/low & Pentode/Triode switches gives even more possibilities . By screwing around with the effects loop send/return levels (on the back panel), you can tame the amp down to bedroom levels and get some good tones.

So far i like the fact that this thing is sooo versatile.. The gain may be my only issue. I think i may need an overdrive pedal before the amp to send it over the top and get more smoothness for a lead tone. This amp does have a fair bit of gain though and i agree with the statement that its somewhere between a modded marshall and a duel recto. I have found many good dirty rhythm sounds already, and have managed to get some very good sounding vai/legacy tones. In terms of cleans - its hard to find a crap clean sound!

I'd be interested in settings for lead work - sustaining/smooth tone....
Sounds great I might have to spend the weekend at the store! :P

I am quite interested in the M series, Fandango's and the Supera's I had a quick go on the Supera and it was amazing even after only 5 minutes of tweaking!

Gain is not much of a problem for me I don't get to distorted so hopefully it should be all good! (plus when I finally sell my wah and make the treble booster I have been longing for, I could push it really over the edge! )

Thanks for the reply!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a '92 M60 4x10 w/ Celestions and the sound is massive and awesome... unfortunately it's getting some work done at the shop, so I won't have it 'till next week. Not having a problem getting a good sound out of it though- it all sounds good! Was there any particular tone you were going for?

-Ben
Looking for a smooth creamy lead tone, at this stage i think i may need a DS1 or something infront of it to fill it out more..... dunno yet - i'll keep tweaking!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Let me know what you come up with... I'm very interested to see what your settings will be! When I get mine back next week, and if I remember, I'll post my settings for you to play with.
-Ben
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

-Ben
Looking for a smooth creamy lead tone, at this stage i think i may need a DS1 or something infront of it to fill it out more..... dunno yet - i'll keep tweaking!
I put a tonebone in front of mine sometimes, sounds really creamy. It's the classic one. Using it one both channels I get the blues tone through the clean and then the same settings on the rhythm channel give a nice darkened up singing lead tone...I don't add much gain to it, but goose it and use the eq to shape it how I want it. It's an expensive pedal but nearly impossible to make it sound bad...and it's true bypass and really quiet.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone rebiased and tried 6L6's in theirs? Just wondering how they'd sound, i know they break up sooner than EL34's, but are they smoother and more gainier in the rivera??
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Has anyone rebiased and tried 6L6's in theirs? Just wondering how they'd sound, i know they break up sooner than EL34's, but are they smoother and more gainier in the rivera??
Rivera doesn't reccomend it. They have made an EL version and a 6L6 version, because they use different transformers. It is possible though.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I thought EL34's break up sooner than 6L6's... 6L6's give you a little more headroom to play with before breaking up and (IMO) have a bit punchier, brighter sound. I definately wouldn't call them 'smoother' or 'gainier' at all. If you want more gain, try swapping out the 2 gain stage preamp tubes with ones that offer a bit more dirt.

-Ben
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:55 AM

I actually spoke with a rivera tech about changing one of the power amps in my TBR to 6L6 while leaving the other with EL34s. He said that people do that all the time, all you have to do is rebias the power amp section being changed do the voltages listed in the tech section of the manual...they have them online...which is easy to do. I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I bet that the clean side running though an open back cabinet with the 6l6s would be just glassy as all get out.

Tags
modded marshall , overdrive pedal , power amp , power amps , preamp tube , rivera amps , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode