2 Finds on Craigslist, but i'd like some opinions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down 2 Finds on Craigslist, but i'd like some opinions

Hey guys. As most of you know, i've been searching for a new amp for a long time cuz of the fact i own an MG :'(. Basically, i've tried a bunch of amps, and it seems that Peavey, Marshall, and some Mesa products seem to draw me in the most. Recently (while helping a friend out with stuff on a different regional craigslist), i decided to look at my area for some stuff. and two things i came across were

1. Peavey XXX Head- Good condition, one of the volume knobs popped off during movement (seller has the knob, says it's a simple fix but he hasn't gotten around to it yet). Price: $500 (seller also has a beat up Randall cab, still in working condition for like 50 bucks, so i figured that would be a full setup for now)

2. Marshall JMP1 Preamp - Good condition. Price: $375

First: i've played the XXX before, and love it (it's like a gainier version of the JSX, and that definitely pleases me!). The only thing i'm concerned about it is the fact it' 120 watts, all tube power, and i'm not sure i need that much power right now (even though i intend to form a band and play some shows this year....not huge ones, but basically what a band of high school kids would do). Do you think it would be wise to purchase the head and cab, then buy a Hotplate to cap the volume when i'm practicing at home? or should i just try to find a used XXX combo, and call it a day.

Second: now, i've never really messed around with a dedicated preamp/power amp thing before, but i know Stef Carpenter (deftones) and Corey Bealieu (trivium) rely on the JMP1 for their tones. I love Stef's grind (even when they used to do 6 string songs), and the lead tones from "Ascendancy" were really sick (even the new stuff Corey plays sounds great). So, i would be willing to get one, but i've never played it so here are some things i want to know: 1. From personal experiance, is the JMP1 a solid preamp to use (as far as sound quality, tone, versatility etc.). 2. What would be a good power amp to go with it? 3. Do any of you guys use one??? I'm curious.

And the final question: Which one would suit my style better?? For those of you who don't know, i play a lot of stuff, ranging from some blues to rock, and everything in between; From ZZ Top to Primus to Van Halen to As I Lay Dying to Shadows Fall to Pantera to Underoath to Children of Bodom to Velvet Revolver. I'd really like some opinions on what i should go with (still not sure if my parents would let me get either amp, but still, if i got some opinions, and the time came, i'd feel better about it).

Thanks a bunch in advance,
RG_FANMAN)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: 2 Finds on Craigslist, but i'd like some opinions

Marshall all the way. I'm not into Peavey, but the JSX is probably nice. I almost lost an audition using the Peavey 5150 head. There's no way he uses that piece of crap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2 Finds on Craigslist, but i'd like some opinions

i tried a 6505+ and wasn't too fond of it (found it overly trebley)

Tags
marshall jmp , peavey xxx head , power amp , van halen , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode