24bit 192kHz ?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

24bit 192kHz ??

hey dudes

ive been recording for a few years now , and ive always had the soundcard set at the default levels :

audio bit driver depth : 16

sampling rate: 44100

but on my soundcard ( SoundBlaster ZS 2 Notebook ) it says it is capable of

audio bit driver depth : 24

sampling rate : 192000

Everytime i try and set my recording software (cakewalk sonar ) to these high figures , it errors and a popup appears saying "Set back to standard bit driver depth as suggested by driver"

I dont know why ... But my main question is , is it worth my time sorting this out , ie , will i get a better sound quality recording in 24bit 192kHz mode ?

LOST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: 24bit 192kHz ??

I'm gonna give you my answer as an EE and the reasons why you should get definitively better sound quality. A hands on experience answer all I can say is what Steve and Satch said, the higher the better. Satch specifically when doing Super Collosal.I know I read it somewhere.

The Bit rate is the amount of bits the DSP(Digital Signal Processor) uses to store each of the digital "dots" in the Digital representation of your analog(real world) signal. So 24 bit is definitively better than 16 as you have more granularity to represent the vertical changes(amplitude) in the signal.

The Sampling rate first must fullfill the Law of Niquist, where the sampling rate of your DSP must be AT LEAST double the maximum frequency on your analog signal(44100 already does that), to avoid aliasing, which is known as a form of signal loss. Now going from 44100 to 192000 means you are taking almost 5 times more samples of the analog signal per second than you did before which basically allows the sampler to capture more nuances on your music, or as we EE call them, Transitory signals.

In the end you are ramping the resolution of your signal. First Vertically: with the bit depth, in Amplitude coarcessnes. Second horizontally, in Sampling rate, meaning you have more resolution in time.

In conclussion, the higher the numbers the closer it'll get to the real deal when you're playing it back.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Exquisitely detailed answer , much appreciated - i now have a deeper understanding of my audio settings !
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 PM

I always record at 24 bit for the extra headroom. 44.1 or 48K is fine for general pop/rock/country.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode