3 Speakers Choices! Which one?! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

3 Speakers Choices! Which one?!

I have a Blackstar HT-5 head, and will be getting an Avatar 1x12 Traditional cab, with semi-open back. I have narrowed my speaker choice to a Hellatone 60L (15 hour aged Vintage 30 with lower voice coil and slightly modified dust cap), WGS Green Beret (supposedly better sounding than chinese-made G12M's), and to a lesser degree, a Hellatone 30 (15 hour aged G12H30).

I've narrowed my choices down to these because the player's tones I've liked the most always seem to be one of these. I definitely like a high gain sound, but I am not sure if the sound would be constituted as "modern". I tend to find a lot of player's hard rock tones these days to be too sharp or cutting, without any smoothness or organic sag. I'm a big fan of Paul Gilbert's tone. It can be a hit or miss, but when he's on, he's on tone-wise. I like his current tone, and his tone with Mr. Big always seems to be on. He is using a G12C now, which is a basically slightly modified Greenback. But I am not sure what he was using in Laney days. Here are some clips of his tone that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5X4zUn6Mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpdZD_oCVDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMfD6bBDUCg

I have heard good and bad things about my speakers choices. Vintage 30s are too bright/tight, Greenbacks get fizzy or too flabby with lots of gain/volume, and G12H30s don't have any mids. I only threw in the G12H30s because I heard it's a good mix of the two. Good cleans are also just as important to me.

This cab is going to solely be for practice, if that gives you an idea about volume. I'd really appreciate any input!

Last edited by Fang; 09-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: 3 Speakers Choices! Which one?!

With the HT-5 I'm planning on going with a Celestion V30 - good strong dB figures, plus the midrange I think the amp needs.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:44 AM

Besides Avatar Cabinets, I am wondering if there is any 1X12 Mesa Boogie or Marshall cabs that come with Celestion V30 speakers ?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Any help guys? I'm really stuck on these choices.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't put a greenback in a 1x12 semi-open back cab. It would most likely sound very thin due to the low bass and high mids. It really depends on the rest of your setup though. Personally for such a small cab I'd go for a Celestion CL80.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Reviews: 57

My G12H30's have plenty of mids .. not sure where that idea comes from. Maybe not as middy as a V30, but that's fine with me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 PM

try a MESA Thiele cab. 112 ported and sounds huge. It is a 112 that has the vibe of a 412. It is my fave cab ever.

Tags
avatar , celestion , g12h30 , greenback , vintage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode