500$ for Fender or Marshall amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
500$ for Fender or Marshall amp

I want a new amp. I only have a marshall and fender dealer in my country (same dealer). I want to get them to order an amp for me. My budget is about 800$ but that means the amp's price in the USA should be about 500$. Im looking for a good tube or hybrid amp. Dont need more than 50watts (but i want it to be loud enough to gig with at a small bar)
I play a lot of styles but i dont require high gain or metal-like distortion. My stule is somewhere between Mike stern, Satriani, Vai and Shawn Lane
Please help me guys. i want to order the amp soon
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 AM

Re: 500$ for Fender or Marshall amp

Are we talking about a list price of $500 or a street price? If it's a street price, I would save a little more and go for a Hot Rod Deluxe. Very nice place to start for a tube amp, with a great clean channel and a nice smooth overdrive. Also, it takes pedals well, so you can add whatever heavier distortion you need from there.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Street price. The Hot Rod will cost me SH!T LOADS of money but ill consider it since its not that much above my budget. Thanks for the suggestion
Also, what do u guys think of the Marshall AVT50 combo? Ive heard some good reviews and some bad ones, but overall it sounds like it could do the job. And is the hot rod deluxe better?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Id stay away from the fender for your playing style.

Marshall avt50 should be a good amp but id save for one of their valve amps if you can.

DSL/TSL.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

DSL and TSL are waaay to expensive for me. it would take me ages to save up for one, and im not after a tone that good. Im still 18 and i dont have any major gigs or recording sessions. I just need a tone that wont make me want to stop playing (like my peavey's tone). And since i have enough money, i want it a bit better than that
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM

Check out the B52 heads.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM

My best advice is to try some Fenders and Marshalls in your price range. Tone-wise they are completely different animals.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

There are none that i can try. The dealer only has MG series marshalls. Unfortunately i have to order sight unseen
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1spretty
There are none that i can try. The dealer only has MG series marshalls. Unfortunately i have to order sight unseen
This is why more sites should have amp samples. Peavey has samples and Marshall did for one or two.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1spretty
Drag.

In my own experience the Marshall (be it an MG, AVT, or above) is a ballsier amp. Better suited for hard rock and singing solo's. That's not to say you couldn't use it for some milder music, it's just that Marshalls exceed at balls-out, high gain rock.

Fenders, I find better suited for bluesier music and cleaner tones. Again that's not to say you can't throw a good distortion in front of it and tear the joint down. You tend to get more amp for your money with Fender as well.

If your style is in the Satch/Vai realm as you say I'd think a nice 50W Marshall AVT would be just the thing. Inexpensive, plenty loud enough if you jammed with a band. A good clean channel, and a great gain channel with plenty of flavor between hard rock and all out metal.

I bought one recently and with the exception of it not having a boost I think it's a great little amp.

They both make great amps. I've got a couple Fender amps I dig too. If you told me your style was say, SRV or Rolling Stones I'd say go Fender but you sound more like a Marshall man to me.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:20 PM

Wayne Static of Static-X uses a Marshall MG stack. As does that Zack guy.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM

If you cant get a peavey (valveking would be better than an avt marshall) then order that.. they rock.

Otherwise go for the Marshal avt50, they are good, yes there is a lot better but for the price its pretty good.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau
Drag.

In my own experience the Marshall (be it an MG, AVT, or above) is a ballsier amp. Better suited for hard rock and singing solo's. That's not to say you couldn't use it for some milder music, it's just that Marshalls exceed at balls-out, high gain rock.

Fenders, I find better suited for bluesier music and cleaner tones. Again that's not to say you can't throw a good distortion in front of it and tear the joint down. You tend to get more amp for your money with Fender as well.

If your style is in the Satch/Vai realm as you say I'd think a nice 50W Marshall AVT would be just the thing. Inexpensive, plenty loud enough if you jammed with a band. A good clean channel, and a great gain channel with plenty of flavor between hard rock and all out metal.

I bought one recently and with the exception of it not having a boost I think it's a great little amp.

They both make great amps. I've got a couple Fender amps I dig too. If you told me your style was say, SRV or Rolling Stones I'd say go Fender but you sound more like a Marshall man to me.
Thank u so much. That was what i wanted to know. Im gonna think this through for today and i might order tomorrow
Just one more question. I tried the Mg50 with an American Fender SSS a few days ago and it wasnt really loud. It might be because the Fender has only single coils but is the AVT50 louder than the MG50?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 AM

Never tried the MG series but I can say the AVT50 gets plenty loud. I don't really gig these days but I did happen to jam with a friends band a couple weeks ago and I never had to turn up past 4.5 (small outdoor party, PA only for vocals). Plenty loud enough.

Now if I were seriously gigging again I'd move up to a nicer, all tube Marshall (I'm a Marshall fan) but since my playing is mostly at-home jamming and recording I find the AVT to be fine.

I'm not necessarily trying to 'sell you' on the AVT but it is affordable, simple, good onboard gain, and loud as hell if you want it to be, and there's more to it than just high gain metal. It's a good "rock" amp in general.

Again my only real problem with it is the lack of a boost channel when you want to kick out a solo. A friend told me a boost pedal in the FX loop might work but I haven't fooled with it. A boost pedal in-line only serves to compress the signal further, not actually boost your volume.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

If its this loud, then its probably much better than the MG. I had to turn the Mg50's volume to the max and i still wasn't satisfied with it
I dont really need a boost channel for solos since most of my playing with the band is clean and i use the overdrive channel for the solos. With my own work at home, i dont really need a boost, so this isnt a major disadvantage for me
Thanks again supermau

Tags
boost pedal , clean tone , combo amp , david mccarroll , guitar tech , local music store , marshall avt , mike stern , music store , peavey valveking , shawn lane , tube amp , tube amps , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode