5150 combo vs Legacy combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

5150 combo vs Legacy combo

I currently use a 5150 combo with my Jem and it does sound pretty good at low volumes in the lead channel..however the distortion can get "buzzy" for lack of a better term., *and the clean channel is pretty lifeless.

I m seriously considering getting the Legacy combo, but,before I do ..has anyone out there a/b ed these two. Will I be unhappy with the saturation of the lead channel in the Legacy *since many seem to feel it lacks gain??....I play Vai type guitar music and I only need enough gain to give my *artificial harmonics that " jump in yer face" quality *and add some sustain to my single line runs.

Anyone have any experience comparing these two.

Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:14 PM

Scott, I had a 5150 and I know what you mean. I think you'll be happier with a Legacy and maybe an overdrive pedal to push it a bit. I mean, if you want Vai's sound how can you go wrong with his amp? lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I'd look for a more diverse all-tube combo amp myself

Once you purge yourself of the nightmare of the 5150 you might as well play the field a little. Look beyond the Legacy but maybe keep it as an option if all else fails :biggrin: ...glen
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2002, 02:34 PM

Maybe Gregory will chime in here. He has both a 5150 combo and a Legacy combo. He nver plays the 5150 anymore. His Legacy rig has very sweet tone. He has some gadgets patched in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 11:09 AM

Toneseeker:
I completely understand where u r coming from. *I did everything to try to clear up the 5150 combo "electric saw" sound. *I changed tubes out and found that eurotubes worked the best. *They cleaned up the sound a bit. The sine on the 5150 is very peaky ^^^^^^^^^^^^. *The sine line on the Legacy is very round. *The Carvin is not as brittle as the 5150. *I also put Eurotubes in the Carvin and they worked out very nice. *If u r looking for a nice round, warm and sustain sounding amp I would recommend the Legacy. *The Carvin does have enough gain for me, but then again I really don't use that much gain. *It is usually set at 7.5. *I would recommend using a BBE sonic Maximizer with the Legacy. *The BBE really wakes up the amp. *FYI - The clean channel on the Legacy sound very nice.
Out,
Gregory
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks gregory

I did put eurotubes in my amp already ...it did clean up the buzz a little. *As far as the BBE , I used one with my 5150....I found it to be a big trade off....lost too much gain with it on..besides...I dont want my tube amp's tone affected by another solid state effect. *Anyway .thanks for the advice on the Legacy.

Scott

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , combo amp , overdrive pedal , sonic maximizer , tube amp , tube combo , tube combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode