5150 vs Sig X - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

5150 vs Sig X

Hi all, i'm in a predicament and signed up on the forum to try and get some advice on a rig setup. i own a 5150 right now and i'm not really digging the sound. it might just be that i am running it through a crappy 2x12.

early next month i should have enough money to buy this vht fat bottom 4x12 from a local guitar center (i will be heading up next weekend to try it out) and an od808 boost pedal, i think that might really help me tap into the real 5150 sound that i kind of get when i run it through my friends v30 loaded orange 2x12. i'm also considering getting the fja mod too, but i am very ignorant on the subject of mods so i'm not too sure about it.

i was originally planning on getting a JC-120 and A/B-ing it with the 5150 for a really good clean tone, but this depends on whether the vht cab and od pedal make me keep the 5150. i have recently run into a deal where i could get fryette sig x for around $1200 and am really considering it especially since someone i know is willing to buy my 5150 for $800. both setups involve me getting an amazing clean tone with awesome distortion for around the same price (i picked my 5150 used for about $600 a while ago and can get a used JC-120 for $500 too).

i should say that the tone i am chasing is somewhere in between in flames, protest the hero, and lamb of god; yet still capable of getting really smooth and warm jazz tones. i love the meaty sound of the 5150, but i wish it were a little tighter. and though i have yet to play a sig x, i have played a deliverance 120 and the sound i got out of that thing absolutely blew me away, it was just so clear and articulate while still maintaining heavy distortion. i've heard the sig x is capable of achieving a similar tone to that of the deliverance.

i know that all of this is subjective and what not, what sounds good to some won't sound as good to others; but i am just looking for some advice from those more experienced than me. in the end i will try and see what sounds better for me, but i would just like to see what others around the web think.

tl;dr 5150 w/JC-120 vs. Sig X for roughly same cost

Last edited by TheBlindfoldedWayfaerer; 03-27-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: 5150 vs Sig X

I say keep the 5150--they're one of the best amps ever. Is it the block letter or sig version? I honestly think running it through a good cab will make a biiiiig difference. Try running it dry first to see how you like it, then try it with the 808. Those VHT cabs are good--I think you'll be pleased with it.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

yeah i keep hearing great things out of the amp... just not from mine >.>
i think i have the sig version. it has his signature instead of just EVH next the the power/standby switches right?

i really hope that once i put it through a nice cab it will make worlds of difference. i'll be sure to post up with the result of how it is going once i get the cab, but that won't be for another few weeks or so.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have some suggestions or thoughts?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Reviews: 3

Hard decision here!

Both are great amps for sure but maybe the VHT SigX is gonna give you what 5150 can´t. Cleans an distortions are impressive on this amp and this amp offers you a wide range of sounds to suit any style, but it is not to much intuitive and takes time to get used to all that buttons and options.

My suggestion is: try the 5150 with a 4 x 12; try the VHT sigX. Then decide if you want to buy the VHT, the JC-120 to switch along with the 5150 or anything else.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM

What type of maintenance has the amp had lately? Tube amps require a bit of upkeep for them to function properly and sound their best.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

I vote for a new cab and the 5150. I have also put a MXR 10 band in the loop of my 5150, and really like the results. I used to own a SigX, and although a great amp, the bands you listed would be better obtained with the 5150.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

the tubes in it are about a year and a half-2 years old and it's in great condition. it doesn't look brand new, just by looking at it you would be able to tell that it's aged; but other than some small cosmetic flaws here and there it's great. i also am sure to handle it carefully when moving it and taking it to my buddies house to jam. i should have rephrased that i don't think it necessarily sounds bad, just not what i am looking for exactly out of the amp. i did recently do some recording with it running through said friends orange 2x12 and i thought it sounded good, not anything mind-blowing when compared to the crappy 2x12 i have now, but it was still an improvement.

getting the cab is definitely the first thing i am going to do, then i will see how i like it from there. i really want to love the 5150 and i can sometimes get a really nice tone out of it, but that really depends on what type of music i am playing. to my ears it just seems a little muddy (i use that word lightly though because it doesn't really sound that muddy, just not as tight as i'd like it to be).

on a side note, i should say that i am looking for which setup will be able to cover a good amount of music, something akin to between the buried and me, though not necessarily their tone. this is why i am really considering the Sig X, the tweak-ability and versatility of it have me just about drooling over it.

based off of some videos and samples i've heard of a boosted 5150 with the maxon od808, it sounds a lot closer to the tone i am chasing. maybe after i get the cab and decide to try out the pedal, i will fudge around with the eq and see if i can get it to a spot that i like.

for reference these are my settings, any suggestions as to what might help me get my tone to more of what i am looking for would be appreciated. i should say that i have been messing with the eq for a good while and have what i think is the best, ballsiest tone i could get out of it (to my ears) while still remaining some tightness; but i would still love to hear from you guys how to improve it.

lead pre gain: 6ish (changes depending on what post gain is), low: 5-6, mid: 9, high: 7ish, post gain: 2ish (though always changing due to what volume i am able to play at), resonance: 5, presence: 8.

also, i have heard from some people that the Sig X doesn't have enough distortion for metal, and most of the videos i have seen of it are guys playing bluesy hard-rock. do you think that really heavy tones are achievable on it (the heaviest i'd probably be playing is something like lamb of god)?

i apologize for writing so much, i am just trying to get out as much information so that i can get as much feedback as i can from you guys
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM

5150 is an awesome amp
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM

I've not played either amp... but have heard good things from both... I'm thinking its the guitar. Pickups make a big difference! If the cab doesn't work. Maybe try some hotter pickups... they might help tighten up your sound.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM

I always preferred my 5150 through 4x10" (Rivera CS410 w/Jensen). Might not be what you want.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

wow i completely forgot about this thread hahaha. well, to update my rig, i now have: vht FB4x12, bbe green screamer, jc-120 head, and marshall MG 4x12B (it's a cheap cab, but it works for my clean tone). i couldn't be more happy with my tone at the moment, sure it's no vth deliverance 120 (my absolute favorite head) but the vht cab gives it that big low end and thick mids i have been looking for while the bbe tightens all of that up so it doesn't get muddy. also, disregard my previous post with my knob settings in it, i have since changed them up to a sound that is better for me.

the sig x that i was contemplating on buying was sold so that deal was a no-go for me, thus i ended up keeping the 5150. luckily the sound i am getting out of it is in my eyes near perfect, so i think i am happy with the way things turned out.

as for the pickups in my guitar, my main is a basswood dean v with a breed in the neck and x2n in the bridge. it has an overall really dark sound to it while still being really hot (i can't think of a pickup hotter than to x2n tbh, not counting boutique pickups). though a cheap guitar, i am completely content with it and it's sound, i have only played a few guitars that i would consider on par or better than it and all of them were almost $1000. this i just my opinion though.

Tags
5150 , jazz chorus , peavey , sig:x , vht

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode