aargh! preamp/power amp choosing - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

aargh! preamp/power amp choosing

I'm putting a basic rack together (finally!)
and need some advice
i've narrowed it down to this
it will definitely have a TC Gmajor

power amp: Carvin T100 or Peavey classic 50/50

preamp: Rocktron piranha
or Egnater IE4 (rare and tends to be expensive)
or Engl e530
or Engl e580
i don't know much about the Engl stuff
anyone got any experience or advice on any of this gear?
Cheers,
Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 04:43 AM

Do yourself a BIG favor, buy an Egnater IE4 and rehearse it with as many power amps as you can. While power amps are mostly based on the same circuitry, the output transformers in them make a big difference and ultimately define the tone of your rig. Choosing more or less bright cabinet can mask problems a bit, but you'll hever get a truly good tone with a [email protected] power amp, no matter what preamp you connect to it.

If you're a Marshall/Fender fan IE4 delivers the goods on all four channels. This is probably the only preamp where I can NOT say what channel is my favorite, they all kick ass. For me a step up from something like IE4 would be Bogner Fish (3x the price) or CAE 3+SE (2x the price).

I don't own an IE4 (anymore) cuz' I'm cheap. I have Egnater TOL100 head which packs the same preamp, tube driven spring reverb and excellent power amp into one box at almost the price of an IE4. I do however understand that some people prefer rack setups, but it definitely comes at a price.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

hearing an IE4 was actually what inspired me in a way to get a rack
they sound lush!
I heard it with a Carvin T100
but what of the other gear?
anyone know how well some of this gear would go together?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:08 AM

I used to use a Piranha & PV 50/50...great bang for the buck.
Greg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:56 AM

Mesa/Boogie 50/50.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 01:26 PM

you should take a look at the hughes and kettner access...i'm currently running one into a mesa 50/50 and am very pleased with the sounds i can get out of it (i too will probably run it with a g-major) it also really ups the versatility/options scale with 3 loops (one serial in mono, two parallel-1 stereo to stereo, 1 mono to stereo--if i remember correctly...its at home i'm at work...working hard obviously...lol!) and two switchers, fully midi programable, stereo, direct outs, headphone out, treble boost option, mid-boost option. i have the version 2, which has a ton of mostly midi cc upgrades over the version 1. sound wise it runs the gamut from super high gain (most people describe its sound as very marshally, but without using the treble or mid boost, i've been able to dial in a good mesa like high gain...without the mud) to very good cleans. a lot of people take issue with the cleans, but as i said, i've found them to be very good. its a tube preamp, but not in the same sense as the triaxis...it basically has three channels to build from--clean (which is actually a solid state circuit) tube 1 (more of an overdrive channel as opposed to a distortion) and tube 2 (on up to take your head off high-gain monstrosity) it really is a fantastic sounding and virtually infinitely versatile preamp. a well kept secret... i got mine for $425 shipped...which was a pretty good deal. expect to pay sub $500 w/o the footcontroller...

my set up>>>>>parker fly classic>>>h&k access>>>mesa 50/50>>>mesa rectifier trad. 4x12

i'll be adding a g-major and some true bypass (dunlop dimebag custon) wah in the (hopefully) near future...

good luck!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I should mention that price is an important factor for me
(PA and recording gear to buy)
I really don't want to spend more than $400US
this might almost rule out the IE4 and e580
what's the e530 like?

i'm not really after the mesa 50/50
just because everything i've read basically says the carvin and peavey sound nicer
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 3
I use an IE4 with a Rocktron Velocity Valve... seems to be a real good combo. If you're going to use that expensive of a preamp you'll probably appreciate it better with an nicer power amp. Go with something better than the Peavey/Carvin.

oops... $400 takes out the IE4, they are usually $1k-1200. :-p
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Nah, they're usually $850-900. I'd go for an Egnater TOL100 head, but if he needs the rack even though it's going to be more expensive...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 03:52 PM

And if you're that limited in terms of dough, take a look at ADA MP-1 or Marshall JMP-1. These two don't eat everything else for breakfast as IE4 does, but they're very good preamps for the money.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
Nah, they're usually $850-900. I'd go for an Egnater TOL100 head, but if he needs the rack even though it's going to be more expensive...
:-/ Did the M4 bring the prices down? When I bought mine (pre-rocktron, silver face) I got it for $1k which was a steal at the time. My old TOL100 I managed to find for $1200 and sell for the same amount over a year later.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 08:21 PM

Well, I saw them go for 850 a few times on Ebay. Rocktron version, though. But Bruce says they're the same.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the third eye
i'm not really after the mesa 50/50
just because everything i've read basically says the carvin and peavey sound nicer
Having owned both the Mesa and Peavey Classic 50/50 power amps, I feel comfortable in stating categorically that anyone who thinks the Peavey sounds better than the Mesa is listening with his wallet, NOT his ears. Period.

PS: I have a Piranha, and I love it - but it's a tweaker's pre... you have to be into playing with the knobs... a lot...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 01:11 AM

I owned a Piranha too, and didn't like it. Heck, you can get better distortion out of a modded BOSS pedal. And that sweepable mid frequency doesn't really help. If the warmth and "chewiness" (if you know what I mean) isn't there it isn't there.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Ok Mesa 50/50 is now an option

i saw an Engl e350 for $350 are these any good?
i've heard great things (tonewise) about Engl

Tags
boss pedal , egnater tol , marshall jmp , mesa rectifier , parker fly , parker fly classic , peavey classic , power amp , power amps , rack setup , rocktron piranha , rocktron velocity , spring reverb , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode