Abacus midi foot controller - works with JMP-1? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Abacus midi foot controller - works with JMP-1?

I've just grabbed myself a JMP-1, my first midi pre, and haven't used midi control before. It seems there're heaps of options and advice given in various threads about different controllers, but I couldn't see much about the mesa boogie Abacus. Does anyone know if it is reliable and can it be used with the JMP-1 or was it designed specifically for the Triaxis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 03:17 AM

Yes it will work (MIDI is a standard). The Abacus is not very good though, it's a really old design and they stopped making them like ten years ago. I don't think you can program it much either, I know for sure that it can only send Program Change (no CC).
If you get it for like $50 it may be worth it just to be able to change patches on the JMP-1, but if it's more expensive you're better off getting a "real" MIDI board.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

CC - do you mean Channel Change? From the pics I've seen, there are channel select buttons on the Abacus - does this not work as it is supposed to?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:28 AM

cc=continuous control
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok. My next question is what does 'continuos control' mean exactly in the case of rack units? I could've sworn I saw a 'midi for idiots' thread somewhere round here. I'll keep looking.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:07 PM

Do yourself a favor, and get a DMC Ground Control or Ground Control Pro.
You will not regret it. Especially the Pro.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 09:57 PM

Platypus is right - the Abacus is a really over-built, over-sized and under-spec'd switch for changing patches ONLY! you can't control ANYTHING else with one. A Rocktron MidiMate or Roland FC200 are built tough enough, are smaller, are programmable, and are far, far more capable in terms of what they let you control on your rig and how than the Abacus... and the Rocktron or Roland will almost certainly cost significantly less...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Ok. So continuos control just means you have direct control over many pieces in your rack? I don't need that kind of functionality now, but I might later, so it looks like the abacus isn't the thing.

Tags
mesa boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode