Acoustic Advice - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic Advice

Hello,
I've started playing electro acoustic a lot more lately, so I could do with an upgrade for my $100 Collins acoustic.

I'm a Tommy Emmanuel fan, so I'd probably buy his acoustic but its way too much for me to pay, so I'd like something with similar specs:

Solid Top
Single Cutaway
Either Rosewood/Maple Back And Sides
Rosewood Bridge And Fingerboard. . .

...O'r something similar, if you guys could give me some ideas it would be great. I have no preference of brand or make, obviously it doesn't matter if its the right guitar.

Thanks, Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Re: Acoustic Advice

I'm no acoustic expert but Takamine and Seagull make some good guitars that won't break the bank. There is of course LOTS of brands out there. Best to shop around and play some until one speaks to you. Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 18

Sabre,

It all depends on how much you want to spend. This is what Tommy said in a interview:

Taken from: http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/002881.html

I know that you play Australia's Maton guitars, but I see on your album that there's a guitar called the Travis Williams Dreadnought.

Tommy Emmanuel: Travis is a friend of mine, and he lives somewhere between Oklahoma City and Dallas, Texas. He lives down that way. I don't know exactly where it is that he lives. He just calls me from time to time. I've got two of his guitars. He builds acoustic guitars specifically with that big bottom end that Merle Travis got out of his Martin. And I just like the sound of it, you know? I just mic'ed it up on that track, too. There were just two mics on the guitar, and I just played straight down."

I would say that if you're trying to get a sound close to his, your best bet is going to be going with a Martin. Guitar Center has this for a good price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=103037842

Jimmy

P.S.: "Midnight Drive" still leaves me impressed every time I listen to it.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Martins rule. They just have a certain sound and even the cheaper Martins seem to have it. Not the Sigma's though. They are okay too but they don't have that "Martin" sound to me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I know Taylor etc are brands with reputations, don't know too much about Martin though.

Their DCX1RE is close to Tommy's Maton at a list of $999. They are available cheaper obviously, so I'll have a look.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Again!

P.S: JB4674, I'm completely obsessed with learning Tommy's version of Livin' On A Prayer!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:00 AM

The Martin DCX, DX and DXM series as well as the OOO-CX, etc. use a High Pressure Laminate for the back and sides. It's pretty much sawdust, wood pulp and small bits of wood chips that are bonded together and baked under pressure.

You'll get a much better instrument if you shop around some of the Canadian brands. Godin has 6 different brands under it's parent company in LaPatrie, Quebec. Their Seagull and Simon & Patrick labels both offer a solid spruce top / solid mahogany or rosewood back and sides dreadnaught.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 AM

If you want a big and warm bottom end I'd go with the Alahambra, don't remember the model, but finally the best acoustic i tried, it was something around 1500 euros...but at last is all matter of taste!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM

I didn't mention Martin because they're generally high priced but as stated they are great. I toured the Martin factory in PA a couple years ago. It was a very cool experience!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 3

Tanglewood make some excellent acoustics that won't break the bank. They do a huge range of styles too so there could well be something to suit you. I own a bowlback Tanglewood Odyssey.

If you live near Cardiff, you should check out Cranes on St. Mary's street. They have more Tanglewood models than anywhere else I've seen.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Reviews: 3

I've got a nice Takamine AN-10 that is cheaper, around $600. Great guitar and great sound.

Santa Cruz has some nice stuff too
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: Acoustic Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7 View Post
The Martin DCX, DX and DXM series as well as the OOO-CX, etc. use a High Pressure Laminate for the back and sides. It's pretty much sawdust, wood pulp and small bits of wood chips that are bonded together and baked under pressure.
And they sound GREAT! I'm mostly into traditional acoustics. I've been playing Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Norman, La Patrie acoustics since the early 90's. I wanted to hate the Martin HPL acoustics then I played some. They sound excellent. I don't know how or why but they do.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

About the DCX models etc, so they still have that distinctive Martin sound though?

Simon and Patrick models look ok, but I'm trying to get as close too TE's model; and there don't seem to be many that close, without spending the full lot for his Maton, which I can't afford.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
And they sound GREAT! I'm mostly into traditional acoustics. I've been playing Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Norman, La Patrie acoustics since the early 90's. I wanted to hate the Martin HPL acoustics then I played some. They sound excellent. I don't know how or why but they do.
I also agree that the HPL models sound great. That's how I found out about their construction methods. I played quite a few at GC one day.

My main concern is how well they will age over time. We all know how spruce, cedar, rosewood and mahogany sweeten with age. The HPL was just too much of an x-factor for me to consider them seriously when I was in the buying mode.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Martins rule. They just have a certain sound and even the cheaper Martins seem to have it. Not the Sigma's though. They are okay too but they don't have that "Martin" sound to me.
Absolutely. I bought a Martin 000 at the beginning of the summer and it was one of the all around best purchases I've ever made. It was sort of pricey, but was certainly worth every penny. The tone is INCREDIBLE. I've never heard any acoustic guitar project the same, have the same level of articulation, depth and dynamics as this one. Pretty much all of their stuff from the 15 series and up have that "magic" as I've found.

The 16 series I've found to be the best value. It's significantly more expensive than the 15's, but they have more finish options and a bit as far as options go (more wood choices, body sizes etc.). Also, less important but still worth considering is how good it looks. If you really must have the ornate visuals, you're going to have to pony up more. The 16 series really is stripped down (which actually appeals to my taste).

Hands down, I am 100% happy with my Martin. Everything about it is great, and I'd encourage you to check it out. Even their X series sounded pretty damn good to me, but I had to have solid wood throughout, so I sprung for more.

Tags
acoustic guitar , tommy emmanuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode