ADA MP-1 preamps - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:59 PM

Re: ADA MP-1 preamps

Ideally, you want to bypass the amps preamp if possible, so if you have an effects loop you'd go:

Guitar -> Ada -> Amps FX Return.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 1

Thanks! I think I remember reading something about "avoid preamping the preamp", so the effects return should do it.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:35 PM

Question Re: ADA MP-1 preamps

I have got two questions:

1. How much does an old 1987 MP-1 worth? It has the line output switch on the top and 1.38 version older software. (I think somewhere beetween 150-200 USD)

2. Does the 2.01. software much better????? NEVER HEARD A UNIT WITH THAT UPGRADE YET.

I am in europe, but if you suggest the value in US dollars it is okay. I will change it to euros.

Any advice clould help.

Thanks!
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
rgr

I would check www.adadepot.com, those guys are hardcore ADA fans and can probably tell you the differences.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 PM

yeah, i have checked it already, thanks. But still would need some help. To read the written material and listen to the opinion of real players is not same.

so, still need the vote what to buy: 1987 MP-1 or 1989 MP-1 ? 1.38 or 2.01?

THX anyway!:-))
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:27 PM

I dunno, I have an MP-1 and its OK. It has some nice tube tones by itself, but its very crisp and dry, if that makes any sence to you. You really need a BBE, EQ and a Delay/reverb unit (like a G-major) to really make it sound great. And forget about using the onboard FX loop, it drains all the tone from it...
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb
I dunno, I have an MP-1 and its OK. It has some nice tube tones by itself, but its very crisp and dry, if that makes any sence to you. You really need a BBE, EQ and a Delay/reverb unit (like a G-major) to really make it sound great. And forget about using the onboard FX loop, it drains all the tone from it...
Mine is 2.01 - and mine behaves like this. It's a stonking unit though. It's more rock than metal though - there's alot of gain availible, but at the high levels, (9 - 10) it tends to sound buzzy - anyone else find this? 8 seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for me. If you want uber high-gain, check out the 3 Tube Mod on the ADAdepot.

FWIW - I picked mine up for 99 in a cash converters, but I've seen a few go for $300+ lately.

~Mylo
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylo
Mine is 2.01 - and mine behaves like this. It's a stonking unit though. It's more rock than metal though - there's alot of gain availible, but at the high levels, (9 - 10) it tends to sound buzzy - anyone else find this? 8 seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for me. If you want uber high-gain, check out the 3 Tube Mod on the ADAdepot.

FWIW - I picked mine up for 99 in a cash converters, but I've seen a few go for $300+ lately.

~Mylo
I agree on the buzziness of it. I've learnt to live with the gain set at about 6 - 7.5 and just boost the signal a bit with a SD-1 and boost the mids. Get's a nice thick tone.

I really like the Tube clean sound of the MP-1 too. Very warm sounding and packs a punch.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Yeah, mines a 2.01 too, and I find the tone at low gain to be really good and tight, but I never usually go above like 6.5/5.0/4.0 and I try to leave the presence no higher than 4 or else it gets pritty harsh and grainy. I bought a fresh set of JJ's for it, left it on for 48 hours to break in the tubes, and it still sounds like that. I was thinking about getting some High Gain tubes, but I dont know if that would do much good. I also slam a TS-808 into it as well..

The Cleans are to die for though, if i keep it, will will be mostly for that. I just wish it had reverb or delay instead of the totally useless, crappy chorus, yuk...

the 3 tube mod is cool, I really want to try it, but its so hard to get you might as well just save for a JMP-1 or triaxis..
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Lefty Robb,

On the ADAdepot forum, there is a member called 'marshalljcm' on something very similar - he does all the 3 tube mods for Europe, and its about 80 euros for the mod and 10 for the shipping... I'm not sure if he has any now, but last month he still had a supply - was gonna have mine modded, but I don't need any more gain!

~M
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylo
Lefty Robb,

On the ADAdepot forum, there is a member called 'marshalljcm' on something very similar - he does all the 3 tube mods for Europe, and its about 80 euros for the mod and 10 for the shipping... I'm not sure if he has any now, but last month he still had a supply - was gonna have mine modded, but I don't need any more gain!

~M
eccept I dont live in europe and everytime soldercave (http://soldercave.twisteddigit.com/) has like 5 (last time was in Jan!!!) its sold out in litterally 5 min...

SO I dont think im going to waste my money on it any further, and get a Kneeley DS-1, since its basically Steve's tone im really trying to get, or something close to that...plus im going to get a Legacy head, since I already have the cab, and get away from massive rack setups, to much of a pain in the ass..
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, mines a 2.01 too, and I find the tone at low gain to be really good and tight, but I never usually go above like 6.5/5.0/4.0 and I try to leave the presence no higher than 4 or else it gets pritty harsh and grainy. I bought a fresh set of JJ's for it, left it on for 48 hours to break in the tubes, and it still sounds like that. I was thinking about getting some High Gain tubes, but I dont know if that would do much good. I also slam a TS-808 into it as well..

The Cleans are to die for though, if i keep it, will will be mostly for that. I just wish it had reverb or delay instead of the totally useless, crappy chorus, yuk...

the 3 tube mod is cool, I really want to try it, but its so hard to get you might as well just save for a JMP-1 or triaxis..

I have JJ 12ax7s in mine too. It did have some high gain tubes in there. One tube was a Fender tube the other was unbranded. But the gain was way too fizzy and thin in comparison to the JJ's i put in.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:

SO I dont think im going to waste my money on it any further, and get a Kneeley DS-1, since its basically Steve's tone im really trying to get, or something close to that...plus im going to get a Legacy head, since I already have the cab, and get away from massive rack setups, to much of a pain in the ass..
I still like my MP1 - thinking of breaking down your rack? If you've got a decent poweramp, drop me a PM!

Legacy head looks tastey.

Hmmm some one reccomended me Mullard tubes for my MP1, but they seem verrrry expensive. What are the JJs like? Or any other brand for that matter... need to experiment!

~M
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

JJ 12ax7 tubes have less gain than some 12ax7's i think, unless mine are just not high gain graded. They produce a sweet warm overdrive and responds better to your pick attack and dynamics within your playing. They also give an amazing clean sound. Again very warm and full sound. Kinda reminds me of a Fender tube amp.

The high gain tubes i had were fizzy, thin, lacked depth and i don't know how i managed to get by with them.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 02:25 PM

When I was talking about High Gain Tubes, I was talking about these:

http://www.tubesdirect.com/pm_detail...&ProcessType=1

Tags
alex skolnick , clean tone , combo amp , fender twin , marshall jmp , midi foot , nuno bettencourt , peavey rockmaster , power amp , rack setup , rocktron piranha , roland jazz chorus , satch tone , stephen carpenter , string guitars , tube amp , tube power amp , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode