ADA MP-1 preamps - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Re: ADA MP-1 preamps

Sorry to bump this thread again....

Wanna ask, is the ADA MP-1 able to do satch like tones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:03 PM

MP-1 is hell of a preamp. As many said, get a nice power amp (even a tube one), and a 4x12, then you're set!

A midi footswitch doesn't hurt, either.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

It can deffinatly do satch tones. Similar to the Flying In A Blue Dream and Surfing With An Alien tones.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:30 PM

ooo... thanks for that reply. i like that.
I'm seriously considering getting one. My first piece of rack gear...
what sort of power amp should I pair it with? in the future i'm thinking of pairing it with a custom poweramp from www.ceriatone.com (they're based in my country).
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the downside of the MP-1 is that there is a delay when switching between presets. Nuno/Vito etc had more than 1 MP-1 in their rigs and they switched unit when they wanted to change their preset e.g. mp1 #1 = lead tone mp1 #2 = rhythm tone mp1 #3 = clean tone....

You can get around it to some extent by running some delay in the mix but its not totally convincing...

Just something to consider. If you want a nu-metal 7 string crunch really you should be looking at one of the mods at www.adadepot.com like the 3TM. The stock unit is more of your 80's metal tone - think Loudness, Vito, Nuno.

Hope this helps.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM

How long is the delay normally? My main worry is that they break down live... but then I can't afford anything else. The Triaxis is just too expensive

Last edited by MetalZone; 11-01-2006 at 03:51 PM.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM

Reviews: 1

They all have some inherent patch change delay.
You have to realize that these things are digitally controlled preamps that have to adjust the bias, eq, and tone settings in the push of a button.
You adjust to it after a while and can learn to anticipate how it will react when you change patches. It is a minor issue and any preamp will have it. (with the exception of the Soldano servo controlled preamp, there are motorized pots that auto adjust on a patch change)
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM

I read on adadepot and yeah, it does have a tiny delay switching between patches. switching between clean tube and distortion there's a longer delay, but solid state clean and distortion is fine. now just who would let go to me an MP-1.

You're referring to the soldano X99 midi preamp right? how much do these sell second hand? EDIT: i saw on evilbay someone sold it for 2400USD... man thats expensive...
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM

I've got 6 of them (some need some repair work). I have two with the 3.666 mod. The rest are all stock. I have parts on order (about 90% of what I need) to do enough modifications for 10 3.666 mods, 10 noise mods, 4 top switch mods, 10 rear jack mods, 10 f/x loop mods and 2 Mark IV mods.

Tags
alex skolnick , clean tone , combo amp , fender twin , marshall jmp , midi foot , nuno bettencourt , peavey rockmaster , power amp , rack setup , rocktron piranha , roland jazz chorus , satch tone , stephen carpenter , string guitars , tube amp , tube power amp , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode