Adding Some New Pedals to the Chain - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Adding Some New Pedals to the Chain

So, after some experimentation, I finally have a short and sweet pedal chain hooked together that I'm very happy with. From right to left, start to finish it is:

Modtone Wah, Hardwire Overdrive, MXR-Dyna Comp (compression), Hardwire Chorus, and a Hardwire Delay.

Overall I'm very pleased with this setup, however I'd like to add 2 pedals to this chain: a Boss Acoustic Simulator, and a Boss Equalizer. I really love how the acoustic pedal sounds, but it can yield a bit of noise, especially if the treble settings from the amp are already crank before engaging it, since the pedal produces a lot of high-end, and I wanna avoid using a noise gate if I can help it. I also like the options of having an EQ pedal, but primarily, in addition to taking advantage of some of the tone shaping capabilities, I'd really like to use it as a booster, and perhaps a way to balance out my sound.

I would really appreciate any help with where you guys think these pedals should go on my chain. I know it's kinda unfair to ask because a lot of it is subjective, but I'd love to hear the opinions of guys who know more about it than I do. Also, I'm not opposed to moving my compressor pedal; I don't mind it before or after the Overdrive, it's just not a pedal I have engaged all the time. However, I do like to use it in conjunction with other pedals, particularly the chorus pedal, and I like both the sustain it grants me and the woody, almost country sound it can give when the sensitivity knob is past 2 o'clock. I definitely would probably use it with the acoustic sim.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Re: Adding Some New Pedals to the Chain

honestly, its trial and error. In my experience, its more with the amp. The same pedal chain can sound different depending on the amp. I just bought an EHV flanger last week and the only place I could get it to work is in front of the amp which makes no sense to me. Sounds like you have a great set up there!

in general most people agree that the dirty pedals ,comps and wah go in front and the rest go in the loop.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 59

Totally subjective but if it were me, I'd put the sim pedal in front of everything, or just after the wah and I'd put the EQ in your effects loop, at the end of the chain of pedals if you don't have a loop or in front of the chorus. Really though, it's all about what works for you and what you're going for tonally and only you can decide that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Cool - I've got the Hardwire delay and love it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 18

What kind of amp do you have?

Jimmy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
What kind of amp do you have?

Jimmy
I have a Peavey Valve King 100 Watt, though I'd like my pedalboard to have the flexibility to work well with similar amps.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXshad View Post
I have a Peavey Valve King 100 Watt, though I'd like my pedalboard to have the flexibility to work well with similar amps.
I have a Valveking 112 and found the best setup to be with the chorus, delay, and EQ in the FX loop in that order. The EQ really brings the Valveking to life. Using the EQ as a boost will work, but I've found I like to have it on all the time. Because of that, I use a TS9 in front for boost in addition to the footswitch I made that engages the gain boost on the amp.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM

Reviews: 18

I'd stick all the modulation and time-based effects in your fx loop along with the eq.

Jimmy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Okay, so I've done a bit of work on the pedalboard. Currently, from start to finish, here's what I've got:

Modtone Wah, Boss Super Overdrive (might be swapped out with a Fulltone OCD), MXR-Dyna Comp (compression), Hardwire Chorus, TC Electronics Hall of Fame and a Hardwire Delay.

Now I'm pretty happy with this setup, but I wanna add in the Hardwire Overdrive, but more as a very basic EQ and signal booster, i.e. it would be on all the time. Problem is I'm not too sure where it would work best in the chain... would it be immediately after the wah? At the start of the effects loop? Or at the end of the entire chain?

Thanks for the input guys!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Reviews: 10

Sounds like a nice setup - my only suggestion would be to try the compressor before distortion and OD pedals but after the wah....that's where I have my compressor (CS-2) in my chain. If I were you I would put the new overdrive after the wah and compressor and before the Boss OD pedal...

Tags
pedal chain eq

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode