Advice for building a 2x12 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Advice for building a 2x12

Hey, im going to build myself a 2X12 cab with warehouse guitar speakers veteran 30's. ive decided on dimensions, but im just wondering if i should use 5/8ths inch plywood or 1/2 inch plywood. im looking to keep the weight down for portability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Re: Advice for building a 2x12

My advice:

1.- The wider the wood, better
2.- Don't use those speakers. I recomend you a mix: 1 WGS retro 30 & 1 WGS reaper HP You can even use a couple or WGS retro 30. those speakers rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wzuFvIUOQ8

Cheers

Last edited by Hating-pyramids; 06-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Don't knock the Veteran 30 without knowing what amp is going into it. Yeah the Retro and Reaper are nice but the Veteran can be quite good too, especially with Marshall heads in my experience.

I'd go for no less than 3/4" cabinetry grade ply myself. I'd also dovetail or finger joint the cabinet. Yes it's heavier but I have no fears of it failing either.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM

im actually in the process of cutting a 4x12 into a 2x12 for convenience running back and forth to different band practices, let me know how this goes and possbly any suggestions to help
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Reviews: 6

Mesa and Avatar use marine grade, voidless 3/4-inch baltic birch. Of course this won't help with portability, but you could add removeable casters at one end of the cab and a handle at the other, and it should move around relatively easily.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Here's a great site with tons of info to help you:
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Mesa and Avatar use marine grade, voidless 3/4-inch baltic birch. Of course this won't help with portability, but you could add removeable casters at one end of the cab and a handle at the other, and it should move around relatively easily.

I agree with Phil. Using thicker wood will give you the best sound possible and those Mesa casters are awesome. The design is quite ingenious in the way that you can remove the casters without having to unscrew them and put them back the same way. You can order them directly from Mesa.

Here's a picture of what they look like:

There's a release button on the base so you can remove the caster when not needed.

This is the link to purchase them:

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/42tracremcas.html

Jimmy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 6

Or you could get casters from Carvin for way less.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/CTS8
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Reviews: 11

+1 on using 3/4" material. I just finished putting a 212 cab together this week. I made the main box out of solid pine which really helps keep the weight down. It's actually very light. I would most likely us 3/4" birch ply on a 412 but pine is perfect for making a nice warm sounding 212. The baffles are all 3/8" birch ply. I didn't use plans, I just made it as small as I could to fit a pair of 12s in it. It's 13" deep so it has some bottom thump. I will probably leave it a partial open back because that best fits it's main purpose. I put a dato down the center and inserted a center baffle so it's a stereo cab. I still need to pick out and order my tolex & grill cloth. I'm not really sure what I want to cover it in yet.

I've got a pair of '74 CTS alnicos in it because it's main duty is to be used as a reamping cab for small vintage tube amp of mine that they work really well with but it's second job will be speaker cab for my low volume practice rig.

Last edited by Riffraff; 06-22-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Tags
2x12 , cab , mesa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode