Affordable Heads and 4X12 cabinets.?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Affordable Heads and 4X12 cabinets.??

Ok here is my dilema. I have an 70s fender bassman 100 head with a god awfull 2X15 cab. Obviously this Cabinet is not voiced for guitar, so I need to find a decent 4X12 cabinet to replace it with. My Ideal cab would be a Mesa/Marshall/or fender 4X12 equipped with Celestion Vintage 30s but I just don't think I can afford to dish out that kind of money right now.
Do you guys have any suggestions? My main concern is clean tone. Thanks

On a plus note... my buddy is letting me play his Bedrock 100 watt 2X12 combo untill I get a new cab. It is super sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 08:46 AM

i dunno if you have any brand inclinations for a head but Peavey's Ultra Plus head & the THD Univibe may give you what you wanna hear.

as for cabs- check out Rivera cabs, there's this 4X12 model, Celestion-V30 equipped which just slipped my mind, i'll update this post once i remember... it gives good bottom end chugging tone. i recommended it to a friend & he's satisfied with the tone it generates, it matches his Triple XXX head.

on a lighter note, check out Fender's Tone Master 2X12 (Celestion V-30 equipped, also, don't dismiss the Fender brand name) if you are on a tight budget but wanna have a good, responsive tone, clean & overdriven. i bought the 4X12 version

good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 02:54 PM
rgr

Don't know where you live but I know where (Denver) a pretty sweet older Randall 4-12 is for $175. It's loaded with Randall Jaguar speakers, I don't know but about them except that they are supposed to be brighter and Vivian Campbell used to use them.

Roger
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 03:37 PM

In regards to new heads and cabs go to www.carvin.com. IMHO they have pretty good prices.
Out,
GP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM

www.behringer.com
Musician's Friend carries them. (Why can't I link to their website from here?)

Follow the link above & check out the Behringer Ultrastack 412 cabs (3 to choose from). I bought one about 4 months ago & I absolutely LOVE it! I've put it up against a Mesa, Marshall, & my Genz-Benz G-Glex cab. The Behringer blew all of them out of the water. They are super affordable, but don't let the cheap prices fool ya. They are worth 4 times that! Try one out now!

Also, do a search for Avatar Cabinets. They are reasonably priced and will put whatever speakers you want in them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:22 PM
rgr

I just noticed that your main concern was clean tone, I would suggest an open back 2-12 cabinet, much nicer, more open cleans. I'll seccond Avatar if you're on a budget, Dave is a great guy.

Roger
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:25 PM

Regarding the Avatar cabinet mentioned above....I auditioned my TSL head through an Avatar 2x12 (not sure of the speakers in it). I damn near didn't buy it because it didn't sound good at all. However upon getting it home and hooking it up to my Mesa 2x12, there was no comparison, the cabinet made a huge difference. Again, I'm not sure what speakers were in this avatar cabinet, so the comparison is likely not apples to apples....just passing on my experience.

Tags
celestion vintage , clean tone , fender bassman , triple xxx head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode