After some good quality headphones- - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

After some good quality headphones-

Hi there. Im after some good quality headphone that i can use for my computer and for jamming late at night.

Ive got in the region of about 60-70 so thats probably like $90-$100 or somthing.

I need somthing pretty sturdy as well, nothing flimmsly, i want some strong, big mofos that will engolf my whole head.......Well maybe not, but you get the idea.

A mate recomended SennHieser's to me so ill check some out

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Sennheisers are lovely,although my main choice and faves are 20 yo sony's given to me by my father,Lovely crisp sound

Actually,my current amp i use is nearly 25 years old too

Rob
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:49 PM

If you're gonna get Sennheiser, stretch your budget a little and get HD580. I have two pairs, one for myself and one for my wife. Too bad they're open-air design, otherwise I'd have bought yet another pair to use at work.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:58 PM

if you can, check out Grado headphones as well - they are fantastic, the SR60 and SR80 are fantastic values. I think you can find out more at http://www.gradolabs.com/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:12 AM

I love the AKG K250DF. I've tried several higher priced models and always come back to those. They cover your entire ear but they are very comfortable after many hours. I've also become so used to them that I can get a better mix with them than through my Event reference monitors.

You really need to try out as many different brands and models as possible before you spend a cent. Peoples opinions of what makes a great headphone seems to be more subjective than even studio monitoring.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:45 AM

I have the Sennheiser HD280 Pros and the AKG K100s. I prefer the AKGs for jamming through.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 AM

I use my Sony headphones that I bought for $40 six years ago...until I accidentally sat on them the other day
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:58 AM

You need to answer this first: do you need them to be a closed design (for isolation), and how efficient do they need to be (are you using them with portable gear)?

For efficient closed designs, check out Sony's MDR7506 or MDR-V6 (if they're still around). Slightly bright, but great cans overall.

I've never tried the 280 pros, but I've really liked the open Sennheisers I've heard, so give also those a try if you can.

Beyer DT 250s are great too, but cost almost twice as much as the others listed here.

As for open cans, the usual suspects - Sennheiser, Grado, Beyer, AKG - try a bunch, see what you like.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 3
If you want fully closed, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD265's that are very nice. Expensive, but you can find deals on them... worth the money to me.

I have a pair of Beyer's lower-high lines(if that makes sense), but I would have to aquire the model number. I think it's 180, but I'm probably wrong. They cost just under $100 from what I remember, closed again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You need to answer this first: do you need them to be a closed design (for isolation), and how efficient do they need to be (are you using them with portable gear)?
Yeah im after some that are closed as with the headphones atm if i crank them up much it becomes very loud for anyone not wearing them, if that makes sense. I also prefere closed for jamming and recording work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode