The age old question... bedroom amps? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Re: The age old question... bedroom amps?

I have a 1980 Fender 75 all tube amp that plays awsome at lower volumes. It has a high and low switch. At low I am only pushing 15 watts instead of high at 75. In all honesty, I only have had it switched to 75 once in a large room. The 15 can go from a nice low volume in my music room at home to blaring loud for regular size rooms or practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
I'm with you on the 1000 Mesa - it's just too much for a home amp ...
I'd normally agree with you on that, but the Cornford Carrera was the best part of a grand and tbh is worth every penny. But if you're after a high gain sound, this isn't the amp for you. But it does do everything to a nice warm clean tone to a nice dirty sound Apparently you can easily use different type of tubes. I've got el34's fitted, but the guy from Andertons Music store said that 6l6 makes the amp sound "brighter and more open", so I'll probably get some tp try them out. Also, it's switchable between 5 and 8 watts and thats plenty for home. If you get the chance to try one, I'd definately recommend it. There's also some sound clips over at Cornford's website of the Harelquin and a few other amps http://www.cornfordamps.com/launch.html
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Tech 21 Trademark 10 (10wtts, SS, 1x8 )
The Trademark-10 has been discontinued, and was replaced with the Trademark 30 - 30 watts into a 1x10 speaker, with the same preamp. I own one, and I love the thing.

The EQ isn't terribly musical and has to be used VERY carefully - it's active, so even small changes make a huge difference - but it's a great sounding amp right out of the box. I generally leave mine set with the EQ level for bass, treble, and midrange, the preamp type on "Brit," running "crunch" I think (whatever the middle gain option is), and the drive a touch over hot, wiith a bit of reverb and no speaker model. It's not as touch-sensitive as a good tube rig, but it's an amazingly good simulation of a EL34 amp being overdriven, and will totally do "Crystal Planet" sort of tones.

I've got a demo I cut with it on my myspace - http://www.myspace.com/drewpeterson7 - called "Windowpane Demo" I think, that was the Brit mode for all rhythms and leads (with I think a bit of the tweed for the clean stuff in the background in a few places), mic'd with a SM57. It's amazingly good tone for a small practice amp at bedroom volume.
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

MESA BOOGIE DC-3.
Awsome at low volumes,awsome at high volumes.
Amazing clean,amazing distortion.
400USD evilbay.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post

Marshall Micro Zakk Stack (15wtts, SS, 2x10)
Tech 21 Trademark 10 (10wtts, SS, 1x8 )
Boss Micro Cube (2.5wtts, SS, 1x6)
Peavey Minx (25wtts, SS, 1x10 - bass amp - great cleans and lows for guitar)
Fender G-Dec 30 (30wtts, SS, 1x10)

I cant believe I forgot the Gdec. THat is an awesome bedroom/practice amp.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

It's cool for my use as a teaching amp in my studio. Lots of fun stuff to jam around with.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Yeah I had one for a few months. I always meant to bring it in when I taught but I was using it at home too much.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Have you tried a Peavey Mini Colossal?

Jimmy
ickkkkkk
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
There's also some sound clips over at Cornford's website of the Harelquin and a few other amps http://www.cornfordamps.com/launch.html
Those Harlequin clips are great but I'm not sure. I want something like The Loner by Gary Moore.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: The age old question... bedroom amps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
ickkkkkk
What a well thought of comment

Jimmy
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
If it was sh1t then why'd you buy another one?

That's your opinion, but it has served me well throughout the various musical phases I've gone through. If I hadn't bought a larger head and cab for gigs and already own a POD for bedroom use, I'd still be hanging on to it.
er...cos it was a different model ..
like I already said...
and youre still wrong, bandits are sh1t.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
er...cos it was a different model ..
like I already said...
and youre still wrong, bandits are sh1t.
It was sh1t so you bought another model?

I already said, thats your opinion. Please, at least reply with some sort of sense to your answer.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I already said, thats your opinion. Please, at least reply with some sort of sense to your answer.
Yeah, and a 1981 Mustang and a 2007 Mustang are exactly the same. You think he didn't try the new model before he bought it? It might be nice if he gave more specific reasons but his answer is not lacking sense.

You might have a point, you might not, it's impossible to tell from what you wrote. But asserting that a "new model" must suck because a previous model sucked is just asinine.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera View Post
Yeah, and a 1981 Mustang and a 2007 Mustang are exactly the same. You think he didn't try the new model before he bought it?

You might have a point, you might not. But asserting that a "new model" is identical to an old model is just asinine.
I didn't say that at all. If he can't be arsed making a decent argument why then whatever. I'm saying if he thought the last model really was that bad then why would he buy the next one? Maybe he did try it? He obviously thought it was good at the time. And IN MY HONEST OPINION this is a good amp. It just pisses me off when people say **** about stuff just because it doesnt cost loads or something. This amp can achieve a huge range of different tones and is more than good enough for bedroom playing as far as solid state amps are concerned. I own this amp and it sounds better at BEDROOM VOLUMES than most tube amps to me. End of.

I'm a bit drunk right now but I'm sure my argument will still make sense in the morning.

Stating that something is "sh1t" without any good reason is ignorant. Saying that I am wrong is just stupid. I have an opinion just like you, and this is a good BEDROOM amp.

Last edited by Wild_Child; 09-07-2007 at 11:01 PM.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:

OK, the models were years apart and sounded different - in the end, like many other amps ive owned I didnt like it..... besides, the sencond one I got for 100 - nearly new so I couldnt refuse.
anyway, I thought it was sh1t, so I sold it.
the clean channel was bloody good though I have to say, the drive channel lacked any kind of character and if you turned it up to any kind of gain it just fizzed.
whats more, it was pretty loud until you got it in a rehersal situation and then it just didnt have any presence and cmouldnt cut through at all, still.... he needs a bedroom amp....

I think I bought the first one in around 1991 and the second in 2004....
so.... pretty much different amps.

Tags
bass amp , bedroom amp , clean tone , crystal planet , david mccarroll , fat tone , gary moore , gibson les paul , jsx combo , les paul , mesa boogie , music store , peavey bandit , peavey jsx , practice amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , thd hotplate , tone monster , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode