The age old question... bedroom amps? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: The age old question... bedroom amps?

Thank you, a balanced opinion was all I was after. Yeah it can be loud, but it sounds exactly the same between 0 and 1 (which is very quiet) as it does between 5 and 6. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure, theyre not universally bad amps. It's not the one for him though, so there's no point in discussing it further.

Sorry if I came across a little strong too... I shouldn't use forums after nights out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Thank you, a balanced opinion was all I was after. Yeah it can be loud, but it sounds exactly the same between 0 and 1 (which is very quiet) as it does between 5 and 6. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure, theyre not universally bad amps. It's not the one for him though, so there's no point in discussing it further.

Sorry if I came across a little strong too... I shouldn't use forums after nights out!
hey... no problem.... as you say.. its all down to the individual..
I dislike the bandit ... twice

nights out in Cardiff can be pretty cool...
I work there sometimes and stay at the "future inn" hotel... close to that there is a large complex with lots of bars and stuff ---- glug glug glug - love it....
helps that the taffs are all barking mad of course - good times
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
Was that the 5W Lionheart one ? Which bit of the job didn't it do?

I'm with you on the £1000 Mesa - it's just too much £ for a home amp ...

Are there any decent small Marshall's

Yeah the Lionheart. Basically, I couldn't get rid of the mids on it. There was just no chance of getting a sparkly tone

I've gone through loads of Marshall practice amps and I've decided they're nice on clean, but when you pop some gain on it always turns the tone fizzy (or at least, too fizzy for my liking.)

One of my biggest regrets in life was getting rid of this old amp I had, I think it was a WEM, and I had an Ibanez SM9 pedal. Awesome setup but I got rid of it as a kid because I wanted a Marshall just like Slash (HOW STUPID?!?) that's being a kid for you though I guess

Here's a picture of the SM9 if ever you're lucky enough to come by one:

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: The age old question... bedroom amps?

The Peavey JSX combo is the best out there right now IMHO! it is a bit pricey but you can do anything from bedroom practice to big club gigs with it!!!
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 PM

You should try a small bass amp with a high boost, I think they're great for bedroom practising.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM

peavey transtube range are pretty good
the gain sound very natural, but its proabably have just enuf gain for that smooth sound, add a pedal and u can drive it pretty well for a lead sound

the cleans are clean, nothing special,

otherwise H&K blue edition15 is very good

Tags
bass amp , bedroom amp , clean tone , crystal planet , david mccarroll , fat tone , gary moore , gibson les paul , jsx combo , les paul , mesa boogie , music store , peavey bandit , peavey jsx , practice amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , thd hotplate , tone monster , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode