Airplane Flanger - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Airplane Flanger

I bought one the PG Flanger the other day based on reviews, product descriptions, youtube vids, and Mr Bigs latest album.

I started twiddling knobs... I haven't found a pedal I like "playing with" so much!! I know when it comes to gigging and such it'll be set pretty "normally" but it's nice to know that I'll be able to piss everyone off with a whacky siren, pistol or robot sound.. not to mention the take off button.. a rock n roll face puller if ever there was one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:10 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Airplane Flanger

It is an awesome pedal. I reviewed it back when it came out. Wish I owned one though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

I'll be down your way next weekend at the Phoenix bar. I'll hit the take off button for ya!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 120

When are you playing, and what band? Pretty packed weekend, but I'll see what I can do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what time we play, but we're Headbutt and we're opening for the VeeBees. Have a look through FB or Youtube and see if it's your cup of tea.. andd if it is, come and dunk your biscuit! (figuratively of course)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Reviews: 4

I'd already have one had it a stereo option. Oh well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 13

I want one of these so bad!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

So the AF got it's first live use this weekend.. The verdict!

What I like:
In the take off mode the guitar signal still goes through.. So you get the whacky siren (what I use it for mostly) while holding a note or reasonably controlled feedback. Great fun.

The taxi mode gets a beautiful deep smooth flange... great for soloing and is a nice change to the crybaby wah.

What I don't like:
Can't control the volume of the take off mode... it's pretty loud but I guess that's what it's for. If you used it more than once or twice (and your initials weren't PG) you'd probably piss a lot of people off. Great for the something special but a one trick pony.

but let me repeat.. Taxi mode is beautiful and well worth the money. As for stereo mode.. whack a pedal that has stereo ahead of it (i had a chorus) into two amps and you're in for a real treat. mmmmm
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 PM

I tried one and although I love the effects, there is no volume for the thing! WTF? it was way to loud when turned on. Also it would not work well in the loop. worked better in front of the amp but not much. I tried it in front of a bandit transtube 1x12 that the kid uses and it sounded wonderful. I borrowed it from a friend who had the same problems with it. Maybe they can work out some of these kinks for the 2nd version. If so I might buy one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Maybe just early in the loop then. I've seen PG go through his pedalboard description and he has the AF-2 fairly early in the chain, after a Boss compression but before his overdrive pedal.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Just a note to make. I just got the Boss GT-100 in and was futzing around in the presets to see if anything was good and there's a distorted flanger that if you hit the "accel" pedal, causes the tone to go all insane. I wonder where Boss got that idea. LOL.

To be honest, I'm also building my pedal board and flanger is causing me grief on which pedal to use, Ibby AF-2, TC Vortex or MXR Van Halen. All sound really good so I'll have some extensive trying out to do.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the volume is an issue.

In the rig I've been using I have Wah - Dist - Flanger into a reasonably clean JTM 45 style head and it works well. I'd worry that running it before the distortion would sound a bit too noisy in take-off mode.

When I have the time to a/b things I'm gonna have a play with that and running it through the loop but for now it's working well.

Tags
airplane flanger , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode