Alesis M1A620's or Behringer Truths? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Alesis M1A620's or Behringer Truths?

I'm considering getting a pair of active monitor speakers to use on my DAW desk. Which of the two above do you think is the better buy and why?

I've read reviews on both and for the most part they are pretty good.

I need monitors that are most suitable for mixing, but also built to last, sound tight, and have good bass response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Re: Alesis M1A620's or Behringer Truths?

Well, at the risk of being biased, Behringer stuff is pretty flimsy, if their pedals are anything to go by - anything I have bought from Alesis has been built like a tank - unkillable.

If your budget stretches to them, have a look at Genelecs too - apparently wonderful active monitors in terms of avoiding listening fatigue.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes, i've heard that the genelecs are really good too, but i'm in the $300 and lower budget range right now. I'm leaning towards the Alesis monitors, it seems that more people are dissatisfied with the Truths, and that tech support was poor.

All the alesis stuff i've used in the past (eq's, Adats, etc...), i've been pleased with.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Rip

for $300 bux I would stick to passive speakers and try to buy
a good amp.

Im not impressed with either one of those companies mentioned,
and yes ive owned many items by them. (4 adats, keyboard, compressors,
a 16 channel board..etc..etc. In fact funny thing is I just had to purchase a
behringer item today.)

Dont try to get "too" much for "too" cheap..
you'll get what you pay for.

Whats the reasoning for going with an active set?
Just curious.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 AM

how much are amps for monitors??? Can you use poweramp like you use in live settings?? I'm also about to buy some monitors, i'm probably going for some yahamas or events.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:10 PM
rgr

Look for a used M-Audio BX8a set, nice sounding monitors. A little harsh on the top end, but no worse than anything else in the price range, actually better than most.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM

i use the krk rp-8. for $300, the rp-5 would work and sound really good. you really need to take into consideration the room that you mix in, though.

rich
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Whats the reasoning for going with an active set?
Just curious.

Right now i'm running Toneport Ux2 as my audio interface for recording, my stereo amp is in another room and i would like some good monitors for mixing on my desktop where my DAW is. So i want to hook the speakers directly to my Ux2, i dont want to relocate everything just to get to my stereo, its too much of a hassle right now. Everything is located just where it needs to be.

Tags
audio interface , bass response

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode