To all rack setup users . . . - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

To all rack setup users . . .

Hi there!

Im in the process of putting together my rack setup and I recently added a Triaxis, Furman power conditionner and G-Major to my setup. It all sits in this order: Furman atop my skb 4u rack --- Triaxis - G-Major - 2:90. But, this morning I played at low volume for about 1h-1h30 and I noticed that the equipment was quite hot. :ugh: When I had only the 2:90 in the middle of my 4u rack it got hot , but not as much as now. I know tubes generate heat but I dont know if it is normal for my gear to heat up just at the point where I can keep my hands touching it (area near the tubes) and support the heat. Actually the G-Major got quite hot too, the aluminium part of front panel was damn hot.:scratch: I guess its because its caught in sandwich between two tube loaded devices, but still. Im new to all rack setups so I dont know what to think. I also might add, the room temperature was 25deg C and my rig is placed against the corner of my practice room. Is This normal?

Thanx alot for your help!

Ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Re: To all rack setup users . . .

If you can, space them out from eachother. Make use all tube devices have pleanty of room to breathe. Second, get a nice quite but high powered electric fan. With the volume you're playing at, it shouldnt be noticable at all.

Edit: It should be noted that I never had a rack or used one, Im just giving blind tips. If there's a widow there, move it by the window and set a fan up to blow at it so the heat escapes out the window. If you cant do that or any of it for that matter, take everything out of the rack and space it all out so that they're at least a foot away from eachother and make sure they can still vent well where you put them. That will at least give you an indication of how everything is heating up and what the main factor could be,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Well i found the culprit. I took everything out of my rig and stacked it on a table with 2in spacers in between. Guess what? No heat!. I think its an air circulation issue. My G-major would get real hot caught between the tri and the 290 but outside the rack and on top of the stack with free air cooling, its ice cold. My next purchase is a 8 space rack and Ill rearrange everything for proper cooling!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Im glad you found the problem .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 PM

You might also need to send me your tri-axis and 2:90 amp to give a proper 2nd opinion
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:36 PM

You guys need to put your damn location in your profiles.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Heh!

I was born in Halifax but now I live in Chicoutimi, Quebec.

Tags
rack setup , space rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode