This is almost embarrassing. How do I use a mixer? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

This is almost embarrassing. How do I use a mixer?

Well, i have been a 'guitar' player for all my years and never even thought about using a mixer.'
that was always the sound mans job or the singers or studios etc..
So now i have been given an old Sunn 12 channel mixer and i am clueless as to how to hook up my power amp where to plug the speakers how to run the fx and get my guitar and all my fx and noise gate and hush into this.
I know it well be awesome but i just need some direction.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:12 AM

Lucky dog....nice 12 ch. board....and The Oakman right around the corner. *He can hook it up where you'll sound like [insert famous player here] while it does your laundry and washes the car.
I'd let him wire up my brain.

For online help, I found some cool pages on Mackie's site. *The labels might vary a little, but I think you can figure it out.

http://www.mackie.com/Products/D8B_V...p_diagrams.asp

Let me know if you get stuck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, Kevan.
I still havent found out how to hook up what to where.
I suppose it is in there??
As far as bob hooking up your brain..
Now thats SCARY!:biggrin:

really though.
I dont like to ask Bob for too much.
Though we're pretty good freinds, his time is is severely low.
BYP sucks the life out of him...
Its hard enough to find time to just hang out and eat and stuff...

I'll keep lookin on the mackie site.

Thanks

Scott
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

I see they are using a direct box...
any suggestions on hooking up each individual effect to the board?
Its mainly gonna be monopolized by the guitar.

Great link kev!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 03:28 AM

I guess I should have been clearer...
I didn't mean to sign Bob up for something, in person. *I meant to say that he's got TONS of experience and could help out- either here or, maybe some where down the road, in a hands-on manner.

The only effects you have listed are the Hush and a gate.
What are the other effects? *Signal processors? *Pedals?
It'll be easier to direct you if I/we have a list of the gear to be used.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Heres the FX i want to use.
The ones mentioned,
eventide dsp 4000
sansamp pre amp
and a couple a digitech multi units.
also, have a carvin stereo power amp.
I am a bit confused on that too as i was able to get sound from the pa by just plugging in speakers and a digitech..
Its not a powered board so its weird. the volume was also pretty low and i couldnt getit to go very loud. At its loudest the speakers sounded broken up...

any help is appreciated.

Scott
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:06 PM

Yes, I have been busy. I totally missed this thread. I skim the forum so quickly now-days. Im just lucky when I stumble across a thread that is relevant to me.

Scottman, After spending every other weekend together in my pool this summer, you should not be shy. :biggrin: Then again, how many times have I tried to make it over to your pad but ended up at work? Same old story. My job sux.

Lets try real hard to find a spare moment or two. I can learn ya how to understand it in a way that will enable you to hook everything up easily. We need to get you started on recording tracks for your project.

I am too tired to type up all the details tonight, but I will help if ya want. I am familyless next weekend.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:56 PM

Mixers....I knew I needed one and went out (rather blindly) a bought a 12 channel, 2+2 bus mixer. Everything I learnt about it I learned form the manual and you can download the manuals for free from...

http://www.behringer.com/eng/support...ls/default.htm

Go to the EURORACK Mixer section and pick one.... my mixer sounds similar to yours so try the manual for the 1604A for starters, aside from the product specific stuff you'll get an excellent overview on the whole art of mixer hookups, cables, BUSes etc. etc.

Other manuals here go into more detail but this should be a good reference point, the text is well written and explains most concepts well enough to make learning very easy.

Tags
power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode