Alternatives to mesa triaxis - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Alternatives to mesa triaxis

I really want a mesa triaxis preamp for my rack I plan to build, but its way to expensive, does anyone know any alternatives I should look into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:20 PM

Mesa Quad! I used to have a Triaxis but sold it to get the Quad and I don't regret it for a second. It's obviously not as flexible as the Triaxis but as I realized that I only used two of the eight modes I got more and more interested in the Quad knowing all classic albums recorded with one.
IMO it's better sounding than the Triaxis. The tri is extremely compressed (which is good with the clean sounds) while the Quad is very dynamic and responds way better to changes in pick attack and other subtle nuances in ones playing. It's also a lot smoother sounding than the tri, much closer to the 2C+ than anything the tri can do.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Im looking in the range of 300 dollars and I am hoping to achieve a symphony x/dream theater tone.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 06:57 PM

God. Mesa and symphony X and dream theater. $300 limit. Simple. Mesa Studio Preamp. Some think it was the best mesa preamp. Better then the quad. Its clean and dirty sound is compared to the Mark IIC+. You could pick them up off ebay for your limit. One of the best deals.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 09:10 PM

how about the rackmout v-twin? I never tried one but i think those are pretty cheap
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:17 AM

The V-Twin doesn't get anywhere close to a dream theater type sound...

wil..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 06:19 AM

Well accept for the many tracks Petrucci uses a V-Twin on.

I do bassically agree with wilch. A V-Twin is probably not the best for DT.

I stick by my suggestion of a Studio Pre. Its still cheaper then a V-Twin too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:42 AM

Well if your heart is not set on staying with Mesa, there are a lot of other preamps out there that are nice.

ADA MP-1

Rocktron Pirahna

Just to name a couple. Both are withinin the $300 range (the Rocktron may be slightly higher).

I think one of the best buys out there right now is an MP-1.

Rob
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:47 AM

If you do a forum search for "preamp" then there are a number of threads which suggest many different preamps

Since there are many preamps three things to consider...
What is you top amount you are willing to spend?

What sound do you want?

What features do you want?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:55 AM

MP-1 for life!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 AM

i'd suggest the hughes and kettner access. great sounds all around. high gain is fantastic as is the medium gain-overdrive, the clean is very good. i personally think it offers a few more features than the triaxis with a preamp loop (in case you wanted to add a different preamp down the road--although as versatile as the access is i'm not sure why you'd need to) and three switchable/assignable fx loops, direct outs, headphone outs (on the front of the unit for late night wailing) two switchers to control external gear (ie-amp channel switching or voicing switching on something like the 2:90) full midi features. the version 2 software adds a variety of midi cc options so you can manipulate almost any parameter in realtime. version 2 (which is the one that i have btw) also features an amazing soft switching ability that is probably the smoothest switching i've ever experienced-instant with no popping or dropouts. its a real sleeper of a preamp that can be found used for about half the price of a used triaxis. $300 might be stretching it...but if you can get another $150 or so you could almost surely score one. i got mine for $425 shipped, which was a fantastic deal!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 03:53 PM

Go to ADAdepot.com and listen to the MP1 with the 3 mod tracks. It can do Mesa for $120
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 08:24 PM

I agree with the MP1 wholeheartedly.

Tags
mark iic , mesa studio preamp , mesa triaxis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode