Am i that used to effects? Happens the same to you? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Am i that used to effects? Happens the same to you?

This morning i went to a shop near my job to prove some guitars. tried a PRS CE 24 and a music man steve Morse in an Orange 30w 2x12 class A tube amp. This amp has no effects, and i played directly, just amp and guitar. It sounded like CRAP!!, horrible. I missed a reverb, delay and maybe chorus. Am i that used that i can´t play without them? Happens the same to you??I mean, a 3000 E guitar through a 1800 E amp sounds bad to me????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Banned

You are not used to hearing RAW tone. You can definately get used to processed sounds very easily.
I love a RAW sound, then add in slight slight effects, depending on what I'm going for.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:22 PM

The thing that I'm learning as I get older is that lots of effects sound nice when you're playing by yourself in your bedroom. Unfortunately, once you get that same great sound into a live-band setting, your tone sucks - doesn't cut thru.

Don't ask me why this is...I just find that that's the problem with most solid-state and/or digital gear.

Sure, delay sounds great on a solo and a little reverb never hurt anybody - but let your tone come from your amp - not your outboard gear.

The guy who played after Rob Balducci at the downtown last week had TWO Vox AC30s onstage. He also had a 10 space rack and a pedalboard FULL of stuff. His tone sounded like ass. It's amazing how much money people spend unecessarily on that stuff.

~K
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:10 PM

imo, plugging the guitar straight into the amp gets the best tone.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:59 PM

jesus, it's an orange.. THAT'S why ;-)

LOL, kidding .. not the biggest fan of the orange tone myself, but i love playing guitar straight into amp. love pure tone.

~A
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:33 PM

I think it's relative really...

Playing with effects often means you can play less because it just sounds so cool. Playing raw means you actually have to 'play' the thing. A bit of delay and chorus does wonders...

But where do you place your baseline ? In my head I'm comparing a distorted giutar to a distorted guitar with effects when I think of the difference between playing with and without effects. Now when you think about it, the very fact that I'm using distortion in the first place means I can play less than say if I were playing an acoustic. So if you wanted to be purist about it you could say that an amplified guitar, with an artificial distortion sound, is making things easier. If you really want to test your playing stick to an acoustic

At the end of the day it's about the music. Play what you wanna play with the sound you want.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I´ve no problem with acoustics. The thing is when plugged straight into the amp the notes "die" really soon (no sustain, both clean and driven), and mixed with no reverb there´s no headroom...Of course it goes better on high volumes, but...not enough
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM

A little spring reverb is all I really need in terms of effects when I practice. When I really want some effects, I use G-Force. This happens pretty rarely.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 PM

I'm the same, I just can't play without reverb and delay, without them the notes sound too....abrupt (to me). Others can pull it off, but I can't lol. It got really bad a while ago, I HAD to use a phaser on everything....i'm glad i got out of that...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Find a nice Matchless Chieftain and you'll be in heaven I miss mine dearly and am working on getting another one...probably the single best amp I've had to date.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 01:38 AM

I used to be heavily addicted to chorus, delay and reverb. I hated playing without them. But my tone really didn't cut through in band situations. Sounded wicked on its own, though.

I went through a fairly lengthy period of not playing much at all, and that weaned me off it. I have a couple of spacey patches that i use for certain sounds or special effects, but for the most part, my sound is pretty dry these days. Very little in the way of chorus, reverb or delay.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 11:09 AM

I think that good tone, for me, starts with both a good guitar and a good amp. You can dress up poor/average tone with chorus/delay/ etc. but at the end of the day all you have done is masked something that wasn't quite right to begin with. Don't forget that tuning and intonation are required for good tone. An out of tune instrument can make the shorthairs stand on end.
Start with a good guitar and amp. Add effects as appropriate (do not rely on them). One tonal pearl - my amp (a Rivera 55-12) has a tube buffered effects loop. With a one foot cord I connect the send to the return, then by turning my effect loop's send and return knobs to 4-5 i get a nice "cranked amp" tone at living room volume. This way I get preamp and power amp drive.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 12:25 PM

I've been there, too. I have been cleaning house the last couple of months to change out my basic setup entirely. I had a Line Flextone for about 2 years. Everytime I played, I was using chorus & delay, delay & flange, delay & tremolo...you get the picture. Then, one day, I was as $am Ash trying out a 5150 II head w/a Jem 7VWH (my main axe). I was forunate enough to be in the sound-proofed room and got to open it up a little. Just the amp and the guitar. It was a revelation. I must have played for 45 minutes trying chords, harmonics, tapped runs, single-note lines, scales, etc. Then I go back home to play my Line 6 and found myself bypassing all of the effects and turning the reverb completely off. I realized that if that was what I REALLY wanted, the Line 6 didn't make much sense to keep. I now own a Boogie Mark IV combo (only had it a couple of days). I don't even miss my chorus & delay. I'm sure I'll pick up some Boss pedals to cover that ground, but I will use them very sparingly. If you regularly use effects, try plugging straight into your amp for a few days to play. You should begin to notice an incredible difference in your tone and the dymanics of how your amp & guitar respond together. I find that I use my ears much more when I play this way. Just a thought...
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWyck
I think that good tone, for me, starts with both a good guitar and a good amp. You can dress up poor/average tone with chorus/delay/ etc. but at the end of the day all you have done is masked something that wasn't quite right to begin with. Don't forget that tuning and intonation are required for good tone. An out of tune instrument can make the shorthairs stand on end.
Start with a good guitar and amp. Add effects as appropriate (do not rely on them). One tonal pearl - my amp (a Rivera 55-12) has a tube buffered effects loop. With a one foot cord I connect the send to the return, then by turning my effect loop's send and return knobs to 4-5 i get a nice "cranked amp" tone at living room volume. This way I get preamp and power amp drive.
No problem on the gear. Today is:

Anderson Classic
American Standard strato.
Hand made (swamp ash)body with rg560 neck + DM Fred and S. Special pups.
+JCM800
+Mesa Boogie V1 Bottle Rocket
+Korg A3
+Bad Horsie 2
+DS1

Been trying this days with less effects. And i NEED some reverb. I can go on just with it, but delays for solos are awesome.. Anyway, my Marshall sounds much better than that orange.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 02:09 PM

Personally when doing rythme work, I love to either use a raw tone, or lay another track down with one. For leads though I love all the effects. However I use what works...

Tags
boss pedal , boss pedals , mesa boogie , pedal board , playing guitar , power amp , richie kotzen , rob balducci , space rack , spring reverb , steve morse , swamp ash , ted nugent , tube amp , van halen , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode