Amp advice please.... - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Amp advice please....

My bad, the pedal in question doesn't have metal in it. It's this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...x04_twin_tube/

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Metal Zone is an awesome pedal, if buzzy thin distortion is your thing.
I guess that is a good way to describe it, but it was awesome back in 1991 played through a Peavey PA, Alesis Midiverb, and bull**** 4 x 12 cab.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I guess that is a good way to describe it, but it was awesome back in 1991 played through a Peavey PA, Alesis Midiverb, and bull**** 4 x 12 cab.
Yeah it was, of course I was also 14 back then.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclogston View Post
My bad, the pedal in question doesn't have metal in it. It's this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...x04_twin_tube/

jeff
As long as the pedal is good for Death and Doom and has scary writing on it you cant go wrong.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Of all the bs pedals I bought back then, that was one of the better ones.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 PM

It was better than the Arion Metal Master, but a case of the loose stools being blasted into a cardboard box sounded better than that thing
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 PM

For all of you other normal guys reading this, the Metal Zone is not that bad of a distortion pedal.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Maybe, but it's no Metasonix Agonizer either
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclogston View Post
Mesa Express 5:25
Mesa Express F-50
Mesa Express 5:50
I'll let someone with more experience with the other brands advise you on them, but for the Mesas, pass on the express series. It's an amp I was sure I was going to love based on the spec list, but then didn't really get on with. It's an updated F-series (the F-50 is just that, not Express F-50 but merely F-50), with additional gain modes, and adjustable "contour" mid shift instead of an on/off switch, and switchable poweramp wattage, from 5 wats to 25 or 50, depending on the model. Sounds absolutely awesome, and I was sure I was going to want to sell my Nomad after playing one.

However, after A/B'ing one with an F-30, I was let down. The clean didn't gush with quite the same lushness as the F-series in any mode or poweramp configuration, and the blues/burn gain modes were a letdown. Blues would have been a nice addition to the F-series, since it has a pretty fast ramp-up on the gain knob, but even I felt like burn was under-gained, and I take a lot of crap from my guitar buddies for being practically allergic to gain.

The switchable wattage was awesome, and the 'verb wasn't bad, but I couldn't get on with the actual tone of the amp itself. It was nice for lower gain blues/rock stuff, but if that's your thing any of the Lone Stars absolutely own it, anyway.

The F-series I'd still strongly recommend, especially since these days if it isn't used (and therefore cheap) it's being cleared out (and therefore cheap). Also, the DC series is worth a look too, as these were pretty much the precursors to the F's and are a little more Mark-like, which if you're into 80's tones may be even more your thing. I like the Nomads too - I ended up impulse buying a Rectoverb that day I was demoing the Express amps, and was so blown away once I got to really open it up that I haven't played my Nomad combo since really, but I can't quite briing myself to sell it.

The Express though... I know a few guys here like them, but I'm not one of them.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM

And the Metal Zone actually isn't too bad if you don't overdo the gain and scoop out the mids - not good enough to make me ditch my mids, but try putting the gain at or just below halfway, the bass and treble straight up (i think, I don't remember where I used to set them) and the mid shift and mid amount at maybe 3 o'clock and 1 o'clock, respectively.

Again, not gorgeous, but the problem with that pedal is more the people using it than the pedal itself.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'll let someone with more experience with the other brands advise you on them, but for the Mesas, pass on the express series. It's an amp I was sure I was going to love based on the spec list, but then didn't really get on with. It's an updated F-series (the F-50 is just that, not Express F-50 but merely F-50), with additional gain modes, and adjustable "contour" mid shift instead of an on/off switch, and switchable poweramp wattage, from 5 wats to 25 or 50, depending on the model. Sounds absolutely awesome, and I was sure I was going to want to sell my Nomad after playing one.

However, after A/B'ing one with an F-30, I was let down. The clean didn't gush with quite the same lushness as the F-series in any mode or poweramp configuration, and the blues/burn gain modes were a letdown. Blues would have been a nice addition to the F-series, since it has a pretty fast ramp-up on the gain knob, but even I felt like burn was under-gained, and I take a lot of crap from my guitar buddies for being practically allergic to gain.

The switchable wattage was awesome, and the 'verb wasn't bad, but I couldn't get on with the actual tone of the amp itself. It was nice for lower gain blues/rock stuff, but if that's your thing any of the Lone Stars absolutely own it, anyway.

The F-series I'd still strongly recommend, especially since these days if it isn't used (and therefore cheap) it's being cleared out (and therefore cheap). Also, the DC series is worth a look too, as these were pretty much the precursors to the F's and are a little more Mark-like, which if you're into 80's tones may be even more your thing. I like the Nomads too - I ended up impulse buying a Rectoverb that day I was demoing the Express amps, and was so blown away once I got to really open it up that I haven't played my Nomad combo since really, but I can't quite briing myself to sell it.

The Express though... I know a few guys here like them, but I'm not one of them.
Thanks Drew.

I had tried the mesa express before, and on paper it looks like the amp of all amps. However the burn channel wasn't good to me at all. I had a nomad 45 back in the day and remember it was pretty good, but sold it as being the apt at that time wasn't good pplus i got a good price on it (hey i was a poor grad student then).
But i'll check out the F-50 though i prefer EL84's which the F30 has i believe. I would have to buy used then and w/o trying which is sometimes dangerous.
I'll get them a shoot tonight and see what happens.

thanks

jeff

Tags
alesis midiverb , bedroom amp , clean tone , distorted tone , distortion pedal , fender champ , gain knob , guitar players , mesa boogie , modded marshall , peavey classic , peavey jsx , peavey valveking , seymour duncan , stiletto ace , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode