Amp babble - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Amp babble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
I'm just throwing ideas at you.
Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
(compaired to buying an entirely new combo)
I dunno... Guitar Player recently did a review on 5 1x12 tube combos... Specifically the B-52 AT-112, Carvin Nomad, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Valveking 112, and Randall RG50TC. All under $600!

Quote:
50 watts is more than enough for most live venues with 4x12s..
I'm not familiar with 4x12s... Is 50 watts enough to run that many speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoroth661 View Post
All under $600!
If youre looking to play in a pretty large band, you might wanna look into something bigger than a 1x12. My 85w 1x12 Peavey used to struggle to be heard at times if it wasn't going through the PA.

Quote:
I'm afraid that's pretty much where my knowledge ends. All I know is: mine does!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If youre looking to play in a pretty large band, you might wanna look into something bigger than a 1x12. My 85w 1x12 Peavey used to struggle to be heard at times if it wasn't going through the PA.
Thing is... Don't particularly have a band at the moment, and the budget is... non-existant. The only gig I have in mind in the future is in a school auditorium... Not even sure about that.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM

hey guys, i just want to say, that i gigged a gig with my 15 watt crate (ss), and i was at 6, and just as loud as the drummer. Even in a small room he didn't drown me out, at all.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:37 PM

well marshall has a 50w dsl head that is plenty loud. i've always wanted that particular marshall because i thought it sounded the best out of their 2000 line. right now i have a 60w peavey power amp and like you, i can easily hear myself over our drummer. besides wattage, you have to also think about frequencies too. cymbals can eat your highs and the bass player can mask your low end, so if you have an overly scooped eq curve, you may have the impression that you aren't loud enough.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Remember: size/amount of speakers has more to do with volume than the watts!

My 30watt Mesa can hold its own fine in my four-piece band.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 AM

I play in a death metal band and for gigs I use my B-52 At-100 combo through a 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion Wizard's (most efficient speakers I can find with an SPL of 103).

It's plenty loud since all real venues you play in will have a PA system. I keep my volume about 1/2 on the master (I believe there's a power attenuator built in since most tube amps don't have a master volume), and about 6 on the gain 2 (rhythm) and about 7 1/2 on my gain 1 (solo) channel for a solo boost.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

If you need a 100watt amp to hear yourself over the drummer. You are damaging your ears. If you have your amp on the floor, pointing at your legs, you are not going to hear it. Get it up off the floor pointing at your head. Then you can hear it without being VERY loud. Better yet. Get Shure PSM200 In Ear monitors. stick a mic in front of your amp, plug it into the transmitter. You have total control over you level in your ears. And you don't get fatigued by the drummer. It's the best $400 you'll ever spend. I promise.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 AM

You can play almost any gig other than a metal gig with a Vox AC15 (15 watts of pure class A tube amp) - anything louder than a Vox AC30 is simply going to give your sound man problems with balance on stage, and if you are micing your amps through a PA, in actual fact the lower output your onstage amps are, the better control of the overall mix the soundguy will have - they HATE 100 watt amps, for very good reasons.

At your end of the scale, valve amps simply sound better when you drive them reasonably hard, and you stand more chance of really driving a 30 - 50 watt amp than anything bigger (and MORE chance of driving something smaller). I don't know if more speakers make you louder per se, but they make it easier to hear yourself on stage - likewise open back cabinets are less directional than closed back - so as you move around the stage your chance of hearing yourself is improved.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:41 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
More than enough. I don't know how low you can go, but Smokey amps made by zinky have to be somewhere between 1-5 watts and they say they'll power a 4x12...
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
You can play almost any gig other than a metal gig with a Vox AC15 (15 watts of pure class A tube amp) - anything louder than a Vox AC30 is simply going to give your sound man problems with balance on stage, and if you are micing your amps through a PA, in actual fact the lower output your onstage amps are, the better control of the overall mix the soundguy will have - they HATE 100 watt amps, for very good reasons.

At your end of the scale, valve amps simply sound better when you drive them reasonably hard, and you stand more chance of really driving a 30 - 50 watt amp than anything bigger (and MORE chance of driving something smaller). I don't know if more speakers make you louder per se, but they make it easier to hear yourself on stage - likewise open back cabinets are less directional than closed back - so as you move around the stage your chance of hearing yourself is improved.
Actually, sometimes 30 watts is too much...I recently played a melo-pop show and the other guitarist had an old 1961 AC30. He had to crank it to get the tone he wanted and it caught on fire.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
Actually, sometimes 30 watts is too much...I recently played a melo-pop show and the other guitarist had an old 1961 AC30. He had to crank it to get the tone he wanted and it caught on fire.
he he he - that's standard fare for old AC30s - apparently the original design was pretty poorly ventilated, and Class A amps (which they are, sort of, they actually are a Class AB amp when cranked up) tend to run VERY HOT!

The new AC30 Custom Classic is a corker of an amp for pathetically few bucks (assuming you don't pimp for the Blue Dog speakers which add a whopping thousand bucks to the price tag) if you are looking for absolutely smoking not high gain tube tone - I know, I've got one.

And crikeys are they loud!!!!! If I'd known, I'd have actually bought an AC15!

Tags
combo amp , david mccarroll , death metal , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , paul gilbert , peavey valveking , power amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , tube tone , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode