Amp choice - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Amp choice

Hey guys, i need some help with amps. i have a Mesa Dual Rectifier and I'm not really diggin it too much. I was wondering if you guys could help me make a decision on what to get. I play all styles but mainly Jazz Fusion, Metal, and Shred. I need an amp that is good for anything. The tones im trying to get are Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Wes Montgomery, Andy Timmons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Chris Broderick, and Meshuggah. so you see i need something versatile, if you can help thanks. I was looking around and i was thinking Engl or Cornford but i want to keep open minded, you guys are the experts!
my budget is as much as i can get for a Dual Rectifier. lol i hope you can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Re: Amp choice

Axe-fx with a vht 2/90/2 power amp? It is pretty costly though, unless you go with a lesser poweramp that isnt as clear and natural.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 59

For that level of flexibility, the Axe FX might not be a bad choice. If you're looking at going with an amp route, what about a Mark IV, still in the Mesa vein and you could probably swing a used one with the money from selling your DR.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

hmmmm... thanks guys this is going to be a tough choice. im definitely going to wait so i dont impulse buy something lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 39

+1 on the Mark IV

Its much tigher than the Dual Rec, and much more versatile.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Reviews: 1

You could try a Peavey JSX. Very versatile. Reasonably cheap and great value for money.

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0j1B...eature=channel check his other videos, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7XjR8ygXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH140tD3uzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-en8Jnab7do this is pretty cool, too. Shows a lot of variety/settings.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 PM

I recommend trying a Blackstar Series One. The Stage 100 is a GREAT amp, but is more of a Plexi-type. The Series One's are used by Gus G (w/Ozzy) and also by many blues/rockabilly types, it's extremely versatile. Now whether you want the 100 or need 200 watts is up to you, they both sound great.

http://www.gpdusa.com/Blackstar-Blac...eries_One.html

GPDSales

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guitar Parts Depot
Bass Parts Depot
Drum Parts Depot
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 65

If you want real versatility at your fingertips:
AxeFX, no need for a poweramp, just plug it into PA/Recording gear and use a powermonitor for yourself.

If you want to stay with tube amps:
You prolly want to check out the more versatile amps like JSX, Carvin V3, Marshall JVM410

If you want to dish out serious money, sound different to most people, have a hell of time to tune your amp, like pain, but want to be greatly rewarded:
Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MkII
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 AM

maybe triaxis
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 2

I think the best choice for that style of music as long as you have the appropriate guitars for those styles would be a Cornford MK50 II.

Guthrie has used these amps to cover pretty much every style in the world. Slash, Zakk Wylde, Frank Gambale, Richie Kotzen and a plethora of other guitarists have used cornfords and definitely this particular model.

The great thing about this amp is it is very respondent to the type of guitar you plug in, your playing nuances and how you fiddle around with the knobs and pickup selection just on the guitar itself. I have seen Shaun Baxter do the metal jazz fusion thing on it, i have seen another band called "Anchorhead" perform meshuggah style star wars themed music live on 8 string guitars and that was just ridiculous and sooooo crushing. I have seen Justin Hawkin's band Hotleg live 4 times playing this Cornford model and that was an awesome sound. Very authentic in tone in the vein of AC/DC meets Thin Lizzy.

Here are some links for you to consider:

http://www.myspace.com/anchorheaddarthmetal

http://www.myspace.com/shaunbaxter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Iqs6uw8UY

Guthrie swears by this model in particular, it really does anything and has the right sort of dynamics for shredding without having to have a compressor pedal. So yeah check out some guthrie stuff too, but this amp really is probably right up your street.

My other suggestion is a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Absolutely ridiculous amp as well. Can be used in my opinion for any style under the planet and does do extreme styles fantastically as well. John Petrucci and Between the Buried and Me are great examples of bands using this amp in a heavier setting whilst also pushing styles.

Last edited by dark_void86; 10-04-2010 at 05:31 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

hey guys, i'm pretty sure that i am going to go for the axe fx. is the axe fx ultra really necessary or would i be fine with just the standard? i think i would be fine but just asking some advice
thanks
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM

I had the standard for a year and never needed more for gigging and recording.If you are going to use multiple amps and cabs at once get the ultra.Or if you want to play violin or synth.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Reviews: 11

ok, i have a weird one, especially for the metal/meshuggah type stuff but in this vid it really works (this is not my playing or my vid)

EVH 5150 III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrx63RdiAdM
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Reviews: 11

look at a few of this dudes vids, he has some amps that ive never even heard of that sound awesome for metal and probably more
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM

If your willing to go pre-amp/rackmount hell route ADA mp-1 for the paul gilbert tones and most of the other ones. Super high gain It can do it ok just maybe not meshuggah. ADA used to have a laundy list of bad ass players plus they are cheap. Just my opinion however I have one and would not trade for anything

Tags
amplifiers , fusion , mesa boogie , shred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode