Amp considerations. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Amp considerations.

Ok, well here's the deal. I have been working all summer to get a Jem, and as soon as I get close to my target, my amp starts giving me trouble. Its tube sim not real tube, but it always sounded tubey until about a week ago, when it became brittle and harsh sounding. So what ever was simulating the tubes isn't doing it anymore. On top of that, there are other problems that have arisen. I keep getting wierd buzzing and fizzing noises, and I can't turn on my spring reverb with out this over powering bassy hum that just keeps getting louder and louder. Basically, the amp is dying, and I need to now consider buying a new one.

I don't see the point in repairs, my ears tell me any trace of what it once was is gone. And I can only fathom more repairs would be needed. So I'll hang onto it a bit longer, but I need to start saving for an upgrade.

I'm not going to give up the Jem before I even get it. I worked for it, so I'm getting it, the amp is not going to take its place in my cash flow priorities. I'll make the most of my amp for now before I upgrade.

So I need to start considering an amp. All tube, and since I don't want to have to upgrade again too soon, I want to get something with some serious power. Half stacks basically are what I'm considereing.

So give me your recommendations. It needs to be able to handle everything I play, which is mostly instrumental rock, classic rock and some fusion style stuff.

Marshalls. I have experience with them, and it was good, but the tone of a Marshall has never seemed individual enough to me, because lets face it, everybody uses Marshalls. Sure if I had a 68 plexi or something I'd probably be saying otherwise, but thats just not going to happen. I will take them into consideration, but the modern ones just don't really appeal to me. Recommendations will be considered, but as I said, I don't see myself playing through a Marshall. The tone isn't really me.

Fenders. In consideration, but again the tone seems somewhat cliche-ed. Not really me, and while I do love the cleans, I've never been a fan of the distortions.

Peaveys. My current amp is a Peavey. I do like them, but I don't think I like them enough to stick with them.

Other brands. Carvin, Laney, etc. This is mostly what I'm considering. The non standard brands. They seem to be what I'd go for, because
1. I like to be different.
2. I am different.
3. If I'm not drawn to Marshalls, Fenders and Peaveys, then the less common brands are obviously where I'm going to look.

So give me your recommendations. But I ask you to think carefully because since I live in Ireland, looking for a non-Marshall or non-Fender or non-Peavey basically means I'm just not going to be able to try before I buy. I know that sucks, but its fact. I just won't. So all I have to go off are recommendations and reveiws, so advise with caution.

And don't tell me tone is in the fingers, I can't buy new fingers, and I can't change them. I'm asking about amps.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Re: Amp considerations.

Have you looked at Orange? I love the way they look. Not sure if the sound is for you.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Looks aren't what I'm actually considering, believe it or not. Would the tone work for the genres I mentioned? (classic rock, instrumental rock and some fusion)
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Well...there's Vai's Sig Carven Legacy. Line 6 has some pretty decent stuff. Have you ever heard of Cornford?? I never did unitl I attended the International Guitar Feastival in Bath, England. They are British built. Jamie Humpries, Phil Hilbourne and Jimi Savage all play or recomend them. This is kind of stange because my Marshall just blew too and I am considering a different brand as well....we are in the same boat my friend
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I'd go for the Legacy, because its quite cheap and I do love Vai's tone, but I'd like more information on how it handle the fusion/classic rock side. And a big plus is that I know the tone would work with the Jem.

Cornford I have heard of, and are high in the consideration list, if I could get some info.

Hughes and Kettner seem to be highly recommended, but I don't know much about them.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:44 PM

I'm sure the orange amps will work for the genres you mentioned, and you mentioned that you wanted something a little different....

http://www.orangeamps.com
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
I'd go for the Legacy, because its quite cheap and I do love Vai's tone, but I'd like more information on how it handle the fusion/classic rock side. And a big plus is that I know the tone would work with the Jem.

Cornford I have heard of, and are high in the consideration list, if I could get some info.

Hughes and Kettner seem to be highly recommended, but I don't know much about them.
Go here -

http://www.cornfordamps.com/
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

So far Cornford has the coolest site.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep em comming.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Cornfords are quite pricey, but apparently great. How about a used Mesa Boogie? (i.e. Nomad, or the F series)
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

It'll be tough to get anything non marshall/fender/peavey over here, actually impossible.

I said Cornford had the coolest site, not that I could afford them

Laney seems like a good option. Affordable and all I hear about them seems to say that they're top notch.

I could be convinced about Carvin though.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I want to stress heavily again I will not be able to try before buying since I'm in Ireland. If you give a recommendation, please say what you like and dislike about them.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

I'd get a Conford MK50 Head and a Mesa/Boogie Recifier Cabinent or a Leagacy Cabinent. That's just my preference though.

Here listen:
asfunction:_root.playTune,guthrie_govan_ridiculous (if this doesen't work) go here: http://www.cornfordamps.com/launch.html and them click on sounds. The on at the very top is the clip your aiming for.

Last edited by bonehead189; 08-02-2005 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Didn't go under Sounds
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
rgr

An important question would be, what's your budget? People are throwing out nice amps to consider, but Cornfords are quite expensive, and Oranges are pretty close behind, at least here in the states. I can't imagine they are much, if any, cheaper in Europe.

Also, 30W is serious power with a tube amp, a Budda Superdrive 30 is a loud amp, the 80 is insane. Budda's are expensive too. I really like Soldanos, the HR50 or HR50+ is a good amp, they can be found somewhat reasonably used here in the states, not sure about Ireland.

Laney is a very good choice for a moderate priced all tube amp, and they should be relatively available to you. I would take a Laney over most of the new Marshalls, the GH50L is a nice amp if you don't need a clean channel, it does have a footswitchable boost, and it's plenty loud enough.

Roger
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

As for my budget, I'll just keep saving until I have enough. Probably won't go beyond 1500 though. I've been thinking about the GH50L, and then getting a GS412IA cab to run it through, but I do need cleans. Would it work well if I kept it nice and clean and then just used a nice distortion/overdrive pedal? it says it has switchable gain so, is it just as straight as, off clean, on dirty?

Another would be the three channel TT50H. Seems like it has what I want in it, rock and jazz with plenty of balls. And then run that through the TT412A.

I've read that 1W tube is about equal to 2.5W solid state. So a 50W tube would definitely be loud enough. I wouldn't really see the need for 100W.

So I think I'm going to aim for a Laney. Affordable and highly recommended, with relative availability over here. So Unless we ge some Legacy fanboys in here, thats what I'm probably going to go for.

So, do I go for the GH50L (single channel) or the TT50H (triple channel)?
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM

Good choice of head/cab setup! Good luck, and I'm glad to see you found one that suits your playing/needs. Can't wait to get mine one of these days.

Tags
andy timmons , bass amp , clean tone , high gain amp , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , overdrive pedal , paul gilbert , peavey jsx , preamp tube , spring reverb , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode