Amp gain vs. distortion - Which one you prefair and why? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Amp gain vs. distortion - Which one you prefair and why?

Thatīs it. For me itīs crystal clear, nothing like a good distortion through a valve amp. Gain just for some rythms. Whatīs your oppinion?:argue:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 05:47 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

Sorry, but what is the main difference between gain and distortion?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:52 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

Quote:
urkoman on 3:28 pm on Mar. 29, 2002
Thatīs it. For me itīs crystal clear, nothing like a good distortion through a valve amp. Gain just for some rythms. Whatīs your oppinion?:argue:

Are you talking about a distortion pedal *through an amp ? If you are then i have to disagree cos' if your amp is a good one like the Bogner Ecstacy, Rivera Bonehead, Carvin Legacy or Mesa Boogie Mark IIC, then why would you need a pedal to generate your distortion ? Yes, i admit that i do use a Boss DS-1 pedal with my Ecstacy and Legacy heads to overdrive the input but not to get distortion. Whatever, makes you happy i suppose cos' tone is subjective.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Amp gain vs. distortion

Iīm meaning to that ds-1, dmx distortion, a lot of other distortion peedals, multi FX distortions,etc...
*For me they are very different. Iīve used a lot a triple rectifier(and some other high gain amps,but maybe this is the most representative), do you think this ampīs gain is the same than a distortion?Not for me. Gain are less focused, good for some rithms but not even near to a disto in soloing specially.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 04:13 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

I prefer an amps gain over a pedals distortion most anyday. *It really depends on what kind of amp youre using though. *I have a Mesa DC-5, and I love the lead channel. *It has a great rhythm sound, and its good for leads as well *(although i do use a pedal to boost my signal for leads). *

You just cant get the same saturated tube tone out of a distortion pedal. *Its just a bunch of diode clipping, and simulated tube tone. *Distortion stomp boxes are cool for some stuff, but when it comes right down to it, the amp is where its at *
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:11 PM

Reviews: 3
Amp gain vs. distortion

Quote:
Guitarlos2 on 3:13 pm on Mar. 30, 2002
I prefer an amps gain over a pedals distortion most anyday. *It really depends on what kind of amp youre using though. *I have a Mesa DC-5, and I love the lead channel. *It has a great rhythm sound, and its good for leads as well *(although i do use a pedal to boost my signal for leads). *

You just cant get the same saturated tube tone out of a distortion pedal. *Its just a bunch of diode clipping, and simulated tube tone. *Distortion stomp boxes are cool for some stuff, but when it comes right down to it, the amp is where its at *
Of course if you're using a soldano G.T.O supercharger it sounds quite a bit better...but for a 400 dollar distortion pedal it sure as hell better! *I thought about using one in a legacy on the lead channel when i want to get kinda crazy... :silly:
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:20 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

Quote:
urkoman on 3:28 pm on Mar. 29, 2002
I strongly disagree...listen to Jeffrey's track. *If Im correct he's just using his amps gain and it sounds pretty heavy to me. *Same with amps like bogners and VHT's. *If you're using a 50 watt plexi maybe the overdrive isn't heavy enough for leads, but any good modern high gain amp should have ample gain in the distorted preamp channel. *I use ds-1's and such for db boosts for lead work, but it sure as hell isn't for the gain. *But like I said, a tube driven o.d pedal like the supercharger should be good. *But or course the supercharger is basically the gain section of the slo 100's if Im correct. *
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 07:04 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

Amp distortion all the way. I don't even like processors for my sound. They are usually too brittle and harsh. Nothing will ever beat a nice tube amp distortion in my eyes
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

Definitly Amp distortion
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 02:46 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

A good quality amp distorion will allow you to clean up your tone somewhat by rolling back your volume control, I have yet to try a distortion pedal that does that well, I only use Overdrive pedals in front my Boogie DC-5 or Marshall 1987XW.

At the end of the day valve amp distortion has dynamics, pedal distortion doesn't.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 04:58 PM

Amp gain vs. distortion

I've never had an expensive amp so I just about always use a distortion pedal for my leads. Like urkoman said, it's seems more focused that way.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 02:54 AM

Quote:
I use ds-1's and such for db boosts for lead work, but it sure as hell isn't for the gain.
Why do you use the ds-1 to boost your signal for solo work? Why not use an EQ pedal of some sort?? Wouldn't ds-1 affect the nice distorted tone from your amp ??
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 03:55 AM

A fuzz pedal combined with amp distortion is the way to go... and vol pot on the guitar works!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 04:18 AM

anybody ever pop pedals in front of a Line 6 Flextone or POD?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
anybody ever pop pedals in front of a Line 6 Flextone or POD?
I thought about it once...but i haven't. Only guitar and my wah pedal before the pod. i find that doing some tracks with the pod can get really muddy...so i would never do that.

Tags
amp distortion , bogner ecstacy , boss pedal , boss pedals , distorted tone , distortion pedal , eric johnson , gain knob , high gain amp , john petrucci , mark iic , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , overdrive pedal , preamp tube , rivera amps , stomp box , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone , wah pedal , yngwie tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode