which amp head? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

which amp head?

so I recently made a thread asking which marshall amp is good for heavy metal and I discoverd the marshall JVM and the JMD, the JMD being more in my budget. Im just looking for some more info on the JMD 50 watt tube head and which cab i should use if I bought it because I dont have the money for a 1960 cab so its one or the other for me lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Re: which amp head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenHead View Post
so I recently made a thread asking which marshall amp is good for heavy metal and I discoverd the marshall JVM and the JMD, the JMD being more in my budget.

Well, for me the best "Marshalls" of today are the Blackstar amps, they kick serious butt to the marshalls of today. Just put some decent preamp tubes (tung sol) and add some decent speakers.

This is the HT 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_rWh...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbTPFcHxCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTq0ecfGcTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenHead View Post
Im just looking for some more info on the JMD 50 watt tube head and which cab i should use if I bought it because I dont have the money for a 1960 cab so its one or the other for me lol

You can get a decent 2x12 cab from Avatar with the speakers you like. They are great...

A blackstar tube head + avatar cab with V30s + some preamp tubes... I can bet that's less money.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Well I am asking for info on the JMD heads not blackstar but im looking into those too, I need something that is affordable and the JMD is in my price range.
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Check out Marshallforum.com
People there seem to like the JMD series
As for cabs, Im a fan of Avatar.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM

A blackstar HT 50 head is like 600 bucks
A blackstar HT 100 head is like 680 bucks

An Avatar cab with V30s is like 450 bucks with shipping included.

If you want a combo you have the Blackstar HT 40, like 700 bucks.

I'm not a seller, but those are very competitive prices, and the amps sound great.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Dude
He doesn't want a Blackstar, let it go. It looks like he can get a JMD for $500

personally I don't blame him
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Dude
He doesn't want a Blackstar, let it go.

Dude
Leave my opinions alone, this is not NAZI GERMANY.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locohey View Post
Well, for me the best "Marshalls" of today are the Blackstar amps, they kick serious butt to the marshalls of today. Just put some decent preamp tubes (tung sol) and add some decent speakers.

This is the HT 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_rWh...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbTPFcHxCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTq0ecfGcTA

You can get a decent 2x12 cab from Avatar with the speakers you like. They are great...

A blackstar tube head + avatar cab with V30s + some preamp tubes... I can bet that's less money.
Uhmmm, so there not that great then if you have to add/change stuff to make'em good. why would I buy a cabinet and then replace the speakers?
Why not buy a cheap cab and put speakers in it? Dont say the wood, because I own a 2x12 blackstar cab, and its built no better than the peavey cab stting right next to it, as a matter of fact, I believe the Scheffields in the peavey are better than the black lable 70/80's that came in the blackstar cab.......
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
Uhmmm, so there not that great then if you have to add/change stuff to make'em good. why would I buy a cabinet and then replace the speakers?

My advice for a cab was an Avatar with V30s (read my post)... They sound tons of better that those 70/80 blackstar cabs or any of those standar cabs many brands sell.
You can build an avatar with the speakers you like or the mix you want. V30s, retro 30s, reaper, veteran 30... your choice. Why do pick that? That will help you to fine-tune your tone.

Anyway, I hate those digital preamps...
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
My advice for a cab was an Avatar with V30s (read my post)... They sound tons of better that those 70/80 blackstar cabs or any of those standar cabs many brands sell.
You can build an avatar with the speakers you like or the mix you want. V30s, retro 30s, reaper, veteran 30... your choice. Why do pick that? That will help you to fine-tune your tone.

Anyway, I hate those digital preamps...
But your advice suggest you change the speakers????
What do you suggest for a pre amp?
What band do you play in? how many years experiance do you have using this equiptment your suggesting?
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
But your advice suggest you change the speakers????

I didn't say "change", I said "add some decent speakers" and I was talking about heads.

Quote:
What do you suggest for a pre amp?

I sugested a full amp, with pre and power.

Quote:
What band do you play in? how many years experiance do you have using this equiptment your suggesting?

Like 30 years playing. I have been using V30s since late 80's and I have my own colection of the late WGS, I have had Marshall heads, fender heads and combos and lots of crappy amps. For me, the blackstar for sound, versatility and price, simply rules!
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 11

Dude, he doesn't want your opinion. Piss off.

I don't have much opinion to add on the JDM since I only played it once. But I will say that what I did hear was awesome. Now, I'm more of a fan of death metal so this amp wasn't right for me, but it could achieve thrash metal, 80's metal and the Iron Maiden/Judas Priest type tones VERY well!
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Well I'm 43, been playing (out live) since I was 17, been playing since I was 14.
I have had more equiptment than most music stores, and still do!
I have found that what you speak of sounds great in the living room, but once you any any kind of volumn, your tone goes to sh!t period, if you want a decent live tone, you need rack gear, a head will not cut it. I have 4 sitting here that are proof!
Current set up is:
Digi-tech 2112 upgraded to the 2120 artist.
2 Rocktron 250 watt volicity amps,
into 2 4x12 Randall cabs, one loaded with celestion Red lable 70/80's the other loaded with scheffields.
This above is simple, I have had my experiance, carrying a Sun 120 watt all tube enforcer head, and about 20 pedals on a board, and the above cabs.
The tone is no ware near anything I have found in a rack set up.
I still currently play in an active band that is very well known, my information again comes from years of on the road experiance.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/CrazyTrai...zzyTributeBand

my set up, just behind me on the left.

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well I'm 43, been playing (out live) since I was 17, been playing since I was 14.

Hey, if you want publicity find another place where to put your fat humanity with satanic tattos. You can say you have had 100000000000 amps, and 999999999 gear setups, and I'm still gonna think those celestions 70/80 are simple

CRAPP!!!!!!!!!!

Because they are crap!

Quote:
if you want a decent live tone, you need rack gear

Lie lie lie.

Man, find another place to promote yourself and your crappy gear.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Hey, if you want publicity find another place where to put your fat humanity with satanic tattos. You can say you have had 100000000000 amps, and 999999999 gear setups, and I'm still gonna think those celestions 70/80 are simple

CRAPP!!!!!!!!!!

Because they are crap!

Lie lie lie.

Man, find another place to promote yourself and your crappy gear.
been using this crappy gear for while, and get nothing but major props. I have photos of what I say and the gear, and there are people on here who know me and will vouch for me and what I say.

And your proof? other than jumping on here and spouting off at the mouth, about this and that?
I can back what I say with on the road use, you?

Not promoting myself on here? I dont have too, we have a hugh following brother, almost everyone in michigan and most of the surronding states have heard of Crazy Train. So dont be hater.
Come on click on the facebook link and become a fan, you know you want to....... LOL

Last edited by Jamm'n Jimmy; 07-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Tags
amp head , jmd , jvm , marshall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode