Amp Modelers - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Amp Modelers

Hi guys,

I need some help understanding Amp Modelers such as the Line 6 Pod series, 11Rack, AxeFX, etc.

I understand that they emulate amp sounds and effects, but are they meant to simplify the gear that one has to lug around? Replace the single amp sound with a wide variety of tones? Or are they actually up there with the top-of-the-line amps in terms of sounds and tones?

I've been hearing great things about AxeFX II, despite the high price. So with that one specifically since it seems to be the best of the modelers, is it just a rack mounted modeler that one could run directly into the PA and actually get an amazing sound? Or also put it through, for example, my Marshall JCM 800 head but use AxeFX's tones and get a great tone?

I'm looking for a rig that can be used in large venues such as a theater or a stadium, and/or one that I can use in the practice room. Maybe one is meant for the gigging scenario and one can be used just to practice, but can anyone help me understand the uses of them any why people use these instead of just buying a top-of-the-line amp?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Amp Modelers

Basically, the bigger the price tag--the better the sound. Like they say--you get what you pay for.

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Right, I figured that. So what is the point of them? Why not just use a normal tube amp?
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Banned

Because a tube amp has it's own unique tone--example: Marshall JCM800.

A modeler packs a whole bunch of different amp and effects models in one unit--and it's more portable. Just plug into a power amp.
So, a tube head= 1 amp. A modeler= several amps and effects.

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 AM

Versatility without having to buy every tube amp you would like the sound of. That, and ease of portability of every sound. And, as an added bonus, the ability to play at bedroom levels with the sound you love, and also record with that tone, and record without having to muck around with microphones and headphones.

I've also noticed that things like the Axe FX are being used in the effects loop of real amps to provide all the effects (in place of the old TC Electronics stuff).
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Reviews: 59

As has been said, the advantage of the modeller is it's versatility (lots of usable tones in a variety of situations) and portability (no big cabs/heave heads to haul to gigs when you're just plugging into a PA). You certainly could use something like an AxeFX in your amp's effects loops. I would caution that you'll probably not get the same caliber of amp modelled tones using the Marshall's pre-amp and standard guitar speakers without serious tweaking (these things usually sound best with FRFR speakers - like a PA). However, lot's of people use these things for their effects in conjunction with their amp's native tone.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Which ones would you recommend for me? I'm looking for something that I can practice in a bedroom with and something that I can use to gig with at a medium to large venue.

Maybe there is one that works for both, or maybe I would need to get two different ones for each scenario.

Price range isn't an issue for me, plus I want to see the whole price range spectrum to see what's out there and what you guys think.

I'm looking for one that I can get a nice crunch (more of a 70s/80s feel crunch, like a Slash-esque tone) not a modern metal tone. Also, I would like a distortion that is good for rock/fusion stuff, like Guthrie Govan, and a Steve Vai-esque tone. As for the cleans, I would like a general clean channel that is nice and crisp, and also a clean that works for the warm jazz sound like a Fender Princeton tube amp or something with that really homey warm sound.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM

The PodHD series is really great IMO, awesome tones that sit well in a mix. Also the amp models respond dynamically to your playing/volume on your guitar in a really natural way which is an amazing feat for digital modeling.

I'm sure more expensive modelers will give you even better, but if you're new to amp modelers I don't think you can go wrong with a PodHD.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkorico View Post
Which ones would you recommend for me? I'm looking for something that I can practice in a bedroom with and something that I can use to gig with at a medium to large venue.

Maybe there is one that works for both, or maybe I would need to get two different ones for each scenario.

Price range isn't an issue for me, plus I want to see the whole price range spectrum to see what's out there and what you guys think.

I'm looking for one that I can get a nice crunch (more of a 70s/80s feel crunch, like a Slash-esque tone) not a modern metal tone. Also, I would like a distortion that is good for rock/fusion stuff, like Guthrie Govan, and a Steve Vai-esque tone. As for the cleans, I would like a general clean channel that is nice and crisp, and also a clean that works for the warm jazz sound like a Fender Princeton tube amp or something with that really homey warm sound.
A good modeler and a good poweramp can be used for both - the main appeal of modelers, IMO, is direct recording, so you can get big, thick rock tones at 3am without getting lynched by your neighbors.

That said, to play devil's advocate here, are you sure that a modeler is the best answer for you? You're not looking for a tremendous variety of tones, as you describe them. A good three channel tube amp would probably have you covered for gigs, and depending on how volume sensitive it was you might be able to use it at home as well (my Roadster head really isn't bad, so I use it with a Hot Plate for practice as well).

Having 128 different modeled amps on tap is only really useful if you're going to use a bunch of them. I recorded with a Johnson J-Station back in the day, and I eventually gave the thing away because I found I was only using three models, a Fender blackface, a Mesa Mark, and a Rectifier. I grabbed a Mesa Nomad, which did all three basic sounds better than the J-Station, and never looked back.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Reviews: 4

^Drew speaks the truth!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
A good modeler and a good poweramp can be used for both - the main appeal of modelers, IMO, is direct recording, so you can get big, thick rock tones at 3am without getting lynched by your neighbors.

That said, to play devil's advocate here, are you sure that a modeler is the best answer for you? You're not looking for a tremendous variety of tones, as you describe them. A good three channel tube amp would probably have you covered for gigs, and depending on how volume sensitive it was you might be able to use it at home as well (my Roadster head really isn't bad, so I use it with a Hot Plate for practice as well).

Having 128 different modeled amps on tap is only really useful if you're going to use a bunch of them. I recorded with a Johnson J-Station back in the day, and I eventually gave the thing away because I found I was only using three models, a Fender blackface, a Mesa Mark, and a Rectifier. I grabbed a Mesa Nomad, which did all three basic sounds better than the J-Station, and never looked back.
+1

Plus modelers don't sound like tube amps and vice versa.
They IMITATE/EMULATE(whatever) but never sound 100% the same.

Besides all of that, if you're in a band and play gigs, YOU should know what you need and not us, strangers who know nothing about you.So instead of asking to us, ask to yourself what you need, if you don't know the answer, you need nothing.When you find an answer, it'll be becuse you're REALLY needing something.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 59

Drew makes an excellent point. While most modellers are billed to give the guitarist 1000's of tones - the reality is that it usually works out to giving 1000's of guitarists 3 or 4 tones as you gravitate towards the specific sounds you like and forget about all the other bells and whistles.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM

I would be cautious of saying that modelers can't sound like tube amps nowadays.

If money is no object, buy a Kemper and grab some of Ola Englunds profiles. (google his site)

Here is a HUGE review of the Kemper, with back to backs, and profiling examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuY9OyMsdg
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Some modellers do sound like tube amps, but those are the ones that have tubes in them.

post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM

ah, but you haven't watched the youtube clip that I linked!

Tags
amp model , axe fx , line 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode