Amp quandaries - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Amp quandaries

Hi All. I am a new member here. I read forum topics ALL the time and I find everybody's experience and insight to be invaluable.

I need help. I just got rid of my problematic Fender Twin Amp - AKA "The Evil Twin" - it was problematic for years but I LOVED the tone. This amp had the most wonderful buttery-smooth drive channel ever. It could do classic rock and blues crunch without any pedals. It was truly a turn on and play amplifier for me for years. The problems I had were overheating, tube issues, noise issues, hissing, buzzing, and reverb problems. I finally just had enough and sold "As is" smelling like smoke with all it's inherent problems.

My quandary is that I have not bought an amp for YEARS. I had this Twin for 20 years and the previous amp for 20 years.

I really want an amp that is a 2x12 - 100 watts may be overkill but if the amp can sound good at low volumes like the Evil Twin did then I can get a 100 watts. 50 watts seems more reasonable however.

My search has narrowed down the current considerations to:

Marshall JVM 205c - combo 2X12 - 50 watts
Peavey Classic 50 - 2x12 - 50 watts
Jet City - JCA5212R - 50 watts
Soldano - Astroverb 2x12 - 20 watts
Egnater - Renegade 212 - 65 watts (currently at home from GC - but may go back due to the compressed sound coloring both channels- great sound but a little too dominant in my thinking)

Right now I do most playing at home in a LARGE room that is about 25x25. I need the clarity and dynamic range of a 2x12 and I really want great cleans as well as the ability with THE AMP to achieve my Fender Twin-like smooth drive up to a hard rock drive WITHOUT any pedals. I know all the above amps can do that - but I want some input from people - I play a JS1200, Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard and i play everything from hard rock to blues to cleaner jazzy stuff. I was able to get the PERFECT tone from the Twin Amp and just dial back the volume on the guitar to reduce the drive and it cleaned up beautifully.

Thanks in advance for any input you all might provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Amp quandaries

Oh, and the reason I am asking here is because there is NOWHERE I can try any of these amps. I can order them online but that is my only way to try them out. Therefore, it gets expensive with the shipping.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Tube amps require regular servicing. A 20 year old amp needs a cap job, $200 would have got that thing tip top again....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

That amp was problematic from the beginning. It had a cap job by a guy that completely rebuilt my 1972 Quad Reverb to perfection. He also rebuild several Hammond B3s and some other amps for us. I was more than ready to be done with the Twin Amp several years ago but I kept working on it and trying to make it right. After all that time I just hit overload. It perhaps could be fixed by somebody and I know that Fender discontinued that amp for all it's problems. It was a great sounding amp but I have also heard from some other people that they will not even buy used ones to fix up and turn around as they are notoriously problematic. Sometimes you know you are just done with something and ready to move on. Once I saw smoke coming from that Twin Amp AGAIN, I was done with it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Have you checked out the Mesa Transatlantic series? Check out the Andy Timmons demos Mesa posted on YouTube recently, sounds awesome!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
Have you checked out the Mesa Transatlantic series? Check out the Andy Timmons demos Mesa posted on YouTube recently, sounds awesome!
Oh YES!!! I saw one at Guitar Center the other day and I thought it was not only gorgeous to look at but also sounded amazing. This is expensive but my feeling about this kind of stuff is that you get what you pay for and an amp like that could be with you for your entire life. They also had a matching extension cabinet next to it and wow, that was one beautiful pair!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Reviews: 18

I would add the JSX Combo to your list of possible contenders. You can get a used one at a decent price (I have seen them go as low as $450 on CL) and the amp is pretty versatile.

Jimmy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 130

Get thee a good used Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 2 x 12 & never look back...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor9th View Post
Oh YES!!! I saw one at Guitar Center the other day and I thought it was not only gorgeous to look at but also sounded amazing. This is expensive but my feeling about this kind of stuff is that you get what you pay for and an amp like that could be with you for your entire life. They also had a matching extension cabinet next to it and wow, that was one beautiful pair!!!!

No doubt about it and with mesa price means tone heaven.
And like you said you'd be in tone heaven your entire life

Tags
marshall jvm205c , peavey classic 50 , soldano astroverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode